Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

May have over did it yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 11:30 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts

Just getting back to riding after a few years yesterday I made a 21 mile ride, longest in years. Then came home mowed, hauled and burned a bunch of brush worked in the garden then hauled a bunch of wood from a tree we had cut to the back yard. Today I can feel it 🥴 sometimes I forget I'm not in my 30's anymore. Was planning on riding today but I don't think that is happening
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 06-18-23, 12:11 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
You just over did it. What you did would have tired most 20 year olds.
Old 06-18-23, 12:39 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 544 Times in 167 Posts
Go for the ride.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 06-18-23, 06:33 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
waddya do after breakfast?
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 06-18-23, 08:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Yard work like that is no joke. If I'm wiped out and still want to ride I just spin easy. Or sometimes I take my mtb down to the creekbed and walk over some rocks and sand.
Old 06-20-23, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Keep working at it. Eventually you'll be able to do all that after a 60 mile ride. And then have no issue riding the next day.

However if you are feeling both tired and fatigued, you might not have hydrated well on your previous ride. Or very likely when you were doing the yard work too. When I was getting back to cycling regularly in my 50's my rule of thumb was to take 1 bottle every hour of riding. So unless you ride at 21 mph, you should have had more than 1 bottle of water or hydration mix. Typically I drink 1½ bottles on a short 22 mile I do frequently.

On the bike I have my hydration nailed down. Every 10 minutes I'm taking a gulp or two of water or hydration mix. But when I work in the yard or do other outdoor stuff, I find that I don't drink enough water. I suffer afterward for a time when I fail to stay hydrated during my work.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-20-23 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-20-23, 10:50 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Stop doing yard work. Hire it done.
Old 06-20-23, 11:14 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by Iride01
Keep working at it. Eventually you'll be able to do all that after a 60 mile ride. And then have no issue riding the next day.

However if you are feeling both tired and fatigued, you might not have hydrated well on your previous ride. Or very likely when you were doing the yard work too. When I was getting back to cycling regularly in my 50's my rule of thumb was to take 1 bottle every hour of riding. So unless you ride at 21 mph, you should have had more than 1 bottle of water or hydration mix. Typically I drink 1½ bottles on a short 22 mile I do frequently.

On the bike I have my hydration nailed down. Every 10 minutes I'm taking a gulp or two of water or hydration mix. But when I work in the yard or do other outdoor stuff, I find that I don't drink enough water. I suffer afterward for a time when I fail to stay hydrated during my work.
agreed I carry 2 water bottles my standard drink is 80% water 20% cranberry juice and a splash of lime juice. . I tend to get busy in the yard and forgot about hydration until I am really thirsty

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Had to do that for a couple months last year while recovering from surgery. They tore up too much. Plus one of my other obsessions is 2 wheel garden tractors. I don't get to use them f someone else is doing my yard work
Old 06-20-23, 11:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,807 Posts
Or just neglect it. If you are riding your bike, you won't be around to hear your neighbors complain.

(There is something about 2-stroke engine vibration that really is antagonistic to upper body muscles and bicycling.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-27-23, 07:01 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
That's the route I'm looking at after spending a day trimming along the walk, driveway, and curbing, mowing the lawn, trimming the bushes, bagging the clippings, weeding the garden and applying weed killer. Too much time bent over, using the lower back muscles, which then triggered the worst case of sciatica I've ever had. I could hardly walk later in the day, and I've been basically alternating lying on a heating pad flat on my back in bed and hanging twice a day on my inversion table for three days now.
I'd like to hire a local kid to do the work, but 'local kids' don't really want to work, so I'm in the process of checking out lawn service companies. Besides, getting rid of the lawn mower, trimmers, clippers, etc. will give me more room in the garage for bike tools. (The bikes stay inside the house.)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-27-23, 08:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I cut approx 3 acres - typically every 5-7 days from mid April to late October
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-02-23, 07:07 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I cut approx 3 acres - typically every 5-7 days from mid April to late October
push reel mower ? you are allowed a catch bag, so you don;t have to rack up after...
anything else is a copout... LOL!
chain saw gardner...
Yuri
Old 07-02-23, 07:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
You just over did it. What you did would have tired most 20 year olds.
Sadly I don't know a lot of 20 year olds anymore that will do what the OP did.

Originally Posted by big john
Yard work like that is no joke. If I'm wiped out and still want to ride I just spin easy. Or sometimes I take my mtb down to the creekbed and walk over some rocks and sand.
I will call up the 15 minute rule on days like that. If I'm not feeling it after a hard day, I won't go try to be Superman, but I will at least get out for 15 minutes. If I can go 15 minutes, I can go more, I just have to convince myself to get out and do something.

I fought my wife on this but it has sure turned out to be a good decision. Frees up a lot of time for riding or working on bikes.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-02-23, 07:24 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
agreed I carry 2 water bottles my standard drink is 80% water 20% cranberry juice and a splash of lime juice. . I tend to get busy in the yard and forgot about hydration until I am really thirsty

Had to do that for a couple months last year while recovering from surgery. They tore up too much. Plus one of my other obsessions is 2 wheel garden tractors. I don't get to use them f someone else is doing my yard work
You get a pass on that since it's an obsession, which I completely respect.
Old 07-03-23, 05:03 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by downtube42
You get a pass on that since it's an obsession, which I completely respect.
Left is a 2012 Grillo G85D with tiller attachment handlebars swing 180 to run the mower deck in front, best tiller I have ever used . Right is a 94 Gravely professional 12 with a 40 in mower deck. I have a bush hog deck. rotary plow, snow blade and sulky
I've been accused of having enough yard equipment for 10 times the yard I have
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 07-03-23, 06:40 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I used to cut the lawn after riding. Which left me doing it in the 95 degree afternoon temps. Wasn't so bad in the yard, but the part out by the road was brutal. My property is well shaded, so I think it's at least 10 degrees warmer out by the road.

But now that I'm no longer going to work on weekdays, I have a bit more time to get things done on a more reasonable schedule.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-11-23, 10:27 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
A couple of rest days from cycling is the key. Take care of yourself and have fun.
Old 07-14-23, 10:09 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by plumberroy
Left is a 2012 Grillo G85D with tiller attachment handlebars swing 180 to run the mower deck in front, best tiller I have ever used . Right is a 94 Gravely professional 12 with a 40 in mower deck. I have a bush hog deck. rotary plow, snow blade and sulky
I've been accused of having enough yard equipment for 10 times the yard I have
I like !
Old 07-14-23, 10:18 AM
t2p

related obsession - 4 wheel tractors ... Wheel Horse specifically

three early 90’s tractors - and two mid 60’s tractors ... stuffed in the garage among a bunch of stuffed bikes and other stuff ... mower decks, snow plows, etc ... stuffed of course

tractor in the third pic is a 1964 Wheel Horse I cut grass with as a kid ... we got that tractor in the early 70’s and I brought it with me when I moved out and continued to use it until it was retired when we moved into our current house around year 2000 ... still has original engine - cast iron Kohler single - basically untouched

I was always on the look out for tractors etc when we did long rural road rides ...

Last edited by t2p; 07-14-23 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-14-23, 10:42 AM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by t2p

related obsession - 4 wheel tractors ... Wheel Horse specifically

three early 90’s tractors - and two mid 60’s tractors ... stuffed in the garage among a bunch of stuffed bikes and other stuff ... mower decks, snow plows, etc ... stuffed of course

tractor in the third pic is a 1964 Wheel Horse I cut grass with as a kid ... we got that tractor in the early 70’s and I brought it with me when I moved out and continued to use it until it was retired when we moved into our current house around year 2000 ... still has original engine - cast iron Kohler single - basically untouched

I was always on the look out for tractors etc when we did long rural road rides ...
Nice old wheel horse garden tractors. I have an early nineties craftsman with an eighteen HP Briggs. People tend to over look craftsman from that time period. Sears tried to complete with the big guys ,John Deere Wheel Horse etc. And built some good stuff
The Gravely (orange )has a 12 HP Kohler . The Grillo G85D has a 10 HP Kohler Command . It is Italian made
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 07-15-23, 12:09 PM
t2p

single cylinder Kohler engines are great - powerful and durable

wheel horse garden tractors represent one of the high points of US engineering and manufacturing ; the mower decks and related attachments are largely interchangeable and most install and remove easily ... mower decks and snow plows can be installed and removed with no tools ... PTO belt can be replaced with no tools ... snow plows feature a full length frame that attaches to the rear end housing with quick release levers

had some intermittent electrical issues (switches) with one Onan twin powered tractor though - gotta look into that