Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been to the finsh of the Tour de France in Paris?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 02:40 PM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Paris to coincide with the TdF. She's been to Paris many times, and she speaks French, so I'll have my own tour guide, so to speak. Especially since this is the 100th anniversary of Le Tour, we want to be there for the finish on the Champs Elysees. There are tour operators who are offering grandstand packages, but the cost is VERY expensive. On the other hand, I've seen the finish on television many times, and there are thousands lining the route. If you're not in front, it seems that you won't see anything, which would be a shame considering this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Anyone been there who can offer advice? Thanks.
Old 05-14-13, 03:14 PM
Johnny Rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I understand from a friend who visited and showed me pics that unless you're in the front couple of "rows" standing on the side of the street, it's incredibly difficult to see anything yourself. The masses are a dozen or more deep nearly everywhere on the final laps. Not to mention, the riders are absolutely blitzing through town - whether up or down the Champs. He did say there's lots of giant TV's set-up for viewing. He also mentioned that it's an all day affair with the publicity tour beforehand. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-14-13, 05:41 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been to several finishes, and etapes, I like the stages much better, its free and you can find decent spots, just remember once they pass, its over as far as that action, plenty of other craziness, I thing you will like the carneval atmosphere, very different from any US race. When I grew up in France, we hit the jackpot one Year right in Front of our house, few Years later in front of granpas house, block party it is. Home sick every July...
Old 05-14-13, 06:11 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had a foreign exchange student stay with my family recently. He watches a stage live every year. He said he was out there 7 hours early to get a spot to see them on a stage, and that was just a normal stage (he did not mention where he watched this stage).
Old 05-14-13, 09:00 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went there in 2004, and I saw the final stage (along with Alpe d'Huez and others). At least with the final stage, you get to see multiple laps, rather than watching them pass once and being done. The final stage was very crowded, so get there as early as you can. The final stage will be finishing later than usual this year, around sunset, so it may be more crowded than usual. Along with the locals, I resorted to standing on the first floor window ledge of a building, which the gendarmes did not particularly appreciate. Bring food and something to drink so that once you have a good spot, hopefully you won't have to leave. I also regretted wearing sandals, because my feet were getting stepped on in the crowd. I had parked a bit away from the commotion, rode my bike in, and then wheeled it around with me; that was also a bit awkward, but I also got to ride around the Arc d'Triomphe and to see a bit more of the city.

Good luck, and post pics for us!
Old 05-14-13, 09:16 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes...many times. You need to get out there early and plan to stand/sit around the entire day if you want a spot on a rail. Without a rail spot you'll be hard pressed to see much. Bring some very small pack chairs.
Old 05-14-13, 10:17 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been - i'm not sure i'd pay for a grandstand seat. i was over by the Louvre and it wasnt particularly difficult to get a rail spot. we were their early, but not super early.
Old 05-15-13, 12:20 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you guys say "early" how early are we talking about @ CE? Crazy 'tards lining up for the new iPhone/Halo/insert nerdy stuff here? Because that's about half a day's-full day of wait.

I have this on my bucketlist for next year.
Old 05-15-13, 06:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
My parents went about 15 years ago - They happened to be in Paris at the time and decided to go. They said the crowds about 15 people deep and all they could see were helmets zipping by every so often.