Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

A first?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

A first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 03:53 AM
fiddlehead1A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A first?

Well, I believe I’ve done my due diligence and have found no evidence that this has been done before. I just finished a 1895 kilometer circumnavigation of Sri Lanka. A first , I believe. That number of kilometers includes searching for campsites, stores or cheap accommodation. It took 21 days with a fully loaded carbon fiber bicycle. Sri Lanka is in dire straits, Covid 19, political upheaval and an economic catastrophe have devastated the country. The Sri Lankans are struggling.
Old 02-20-23, 05:03 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Interesting. Did you happen to post a journal or photos? Curious on side effects you saw of current economic crisis or anything special you had on foreign exchange/credit cards.

When investing my possible 2022 trip. Sri Lanka was on the short list. Then the crisis happened and we went to Timor-Leste instead. However, Sri Lanka looked intriguing and after the civil war, an improving place to visit.
Old 02-20-23, 06:01 AM
fiddlehead1A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have hours of GoPro film to be edited and possibly put into a YouTube channel. The country is devestated, air pollution is out of control. I used a bank card to withdraw rupees from ATMs. This was a one time experience, I would never come to Sri Lanka again. The air pollution even in the countryside was very bad. The country is beautiful but broken.