Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Am Looking for Opinions....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Am Looking for Opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 03:13 AM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good points Berner. If they are looking for more of the sports car of bikes i would recommend the Cannondale Caad 10. Good price and great bike.
Old 06-11-15, 03:29 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My intro to real, adult cycling was in Tucson about 35 years back on a close to entry level Fuji tourer. A great place to ride. Mt Lemmon is a bit of an anomaly for the area....wouldn't/didn't buy a granny geared bike specifically for that ride. Buying advice depends on the on/off road intended use of course but I'm partial to Cannondale for road and Trek for mountain.
Old 06-11-15, 05:35 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Still, not to answer directly to your question. But he is a mechanical engineer. Maybe he would like to hear from another mechanical engineer who's been around for a while with a very good reputation. This link may not be the answer he wants to hear; but he will gain some insight as to road bikes by reading in between these lines. This is an interview format with Damon Rinard back in January 2015.

On the move with Damon Rinard - Slowtwitch.com
Thanks for the article. Very interesting; I'm sure he'll enjoy it!
Old 06-11-15, 05:44 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Miss Kenton,
Sorry I didn't know he had been winged, and on to a RAG squadron (or whatever the Air Scouts call their familiarization squadrons.) Hope he got the -15E that he was hoping for, when we went to dinner last November. Best wishes to him, and his beautiful bride.

Best wishes to you, and Mr. Miss Kenton

Bill
Not the 15E. The EC-130H and he's thrilled! They are very happy to be heading to to Tucson. We went down to see him "winged" in February. Very exciting, but sad to see him moving so far from us.
Old 06-11-15, 05:50 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
You asked for bike recommendations so here goes. My bike, which I'm very satisfied with, is a Specialized, aluminum Secteur. I use 28mm tires but it may fit up to 30mm tires but that would be the limit. I can ride it on gravel roads for short stretches and sometimes ride through a short section of woods trail at the local state park. I can hang panniers on it for grocery shopping and but use the bike for just about every other errand in town such as trips to the post office or library. I've done several weekend. tours with another forum member. I've learned to pack fairly light for backpacking so I've only put 25 pounds on the bike for tours and the bike is happy with that. This bike cost $800 5 years ago with bottom of the barrel shifters which have worked perfectly for 17,000 miles.

If I were searching for another bike, I'd consider a cyclocross bike which can take quite large tires for seriously off road ventures. Barretsvc has a carbon cross bike he assembled which looks very nice. Cross bike are sort of a rugged racing bike that may appeal to grasshoppers.
Berner, The Specialized is a good suggestion! Thanks!
Old 06-11-15, 05:59 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Good points Berner. If they are looking for more of the sports car of bikes i would recommend the Cannondale Caad 10. Good price and great bike.
I like this one, too. I'm not quite sure what is budget is, but this may be in line. Based on the REI description I read, I'm thinking he might have something like this mind. His wife, I'm not so sure she's thinking of "time trials" and "fast-paced group rides". I could be wrong about that, but I think she'll be like me, more of a "stop and smell the roses" rider.
Old 06-11-15, 07:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
I like this one, too. I'm not quite sure what is budget is, but this may be in line. Based on the REI description I read, I'm thinking he might have something like this mind. His wife, I'm not so sure she's thinking of "time trials" and "fast-paced group rides". I could be wrong about that, but I think she'll be like me, more of a "stop and smell the roses" rider.
If it's really a TT bike and she's really a beginner on road bikes, I would not recommend that combination. TT bikes are notoriously worse in handling than many standard road bikes. I'd think something with the geometry of a Specialized Roubaix or Ruby would be a more forgiving ride, but still fast. Not sure about affordability, though. If they liked and could handle C&V, I'd point them to a vintage Trek 620, 1982 to 1985.