Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Blood presure during HIT

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Blood presure during HIT

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 10:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Just for curiosity: does anybody have an idea about how much the blood pressure increases during high intensity intervals training on road bike? Let's say - for an amateur with average training, some 3 x 70km rides per week.
I hit 191/69 at 179 bpm in the final stage of my stress echo cardiogram which increased to 204/65 when I stopped.

Resting in the morning I'm 100/60 and currently a little under 60 bpm.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-30-21 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 11:45 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I dunno, but mine was in the mid to high 170s during a treadmill stress test.
Same here. My HR was only in the 140s, breathing getting a bit heavier, and I was just starting to feel good, so I asked if we could see what my max was. Cardiologist told me with a sour expression that he'd seen enough, and to shut 'er down. No extra business for him that day.
Old 02-01-21, 01:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Same here. My HR was only in the 140s, breathing getting a bit heavier, and I was just starting to feel good, so I asked if we could see what my max was. Cardiologist told me with a sour expression that he'd seen enough, and to shut 'er down. No extra business for him that day.
That's the thing for stress tests. If you are any where near healthy they won't stress you.

The name tends to give us false expectation about it.

I think I too had a BP cuff on as well as full EKG electrodes and maybe an oximeter on the finger when I did mine, but the test was over before I even began to feel like I was making any effort.

Essentially I think they just want to see that a few points of measure react predictably to the increasing speed of the treadmill or whatever you perform it on. They aren't as concerned with how superhuman we might be! <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 02-01-21 at 01:23 PM.