Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

“Earthing” ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 03:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
It goes further than that, to the point of regarding expertise as generically suspect and corrupt, as in conventional medical research is "all about pushing pills."

Unfortunately, that's a view held by cranks in a lot of countries. The modern antivax stuff really started in the UK, for example.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-22, 03:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...visualization, like the ones involved in this "earthing" business, have honestly been studied as a method for controlling chronic pain. I could post links, but that would just incite further "woo woo" talk among the science minded. I cannot explain how it works, or even why it works for some people, and not for others. But dismissing visualizations of body energy flow as "just the placebo effect", as a method for reducing your sensation of pain, is a luxury that is usually only afforded to people who do not suffer chronic pain. I first experienced this during and after a weekend spent with Al Huang, doing chi gong. Again, I don't claim any expertise in how or why it works. Thankfully, I didn't need that for it to work. But like I said, that has movement coupled with the visualization. Might be a form of self hypnosis, which also works remarkably well for pain.

I guess I'm kind of surprised, that on a forum with so many cyclists, more of you have not at least experimented with mind/body techniques as a way to increase performance.

There's a world of difference between visualization and claiming a false mechanism for any beneficial effect of that visualization. If people keep the activity to taking a few barefoot walks, probably no harm. But if they deliberately attempt to seek out electrical exposure and the like or eschew actually effective treatment for their conditions, they might actually do themselves harm.
My problem with this woo stuff is that it rapidly transitions from harmless nonsense to grifty quackery almost imperceptibly.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the difference between visualization and placebo effect is literally nothing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-22, 03:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
From Wiki, “Nathan's hotdogs are primarily manufactured by Smithfield Foods,[17] a subsidiary of China's WH Group.”

I guess that is pretty “American’ these days.

I love a good hotdog. Nathan's are awful, worse than Oscar Mayer.
Old 12-18-22, 04:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
It goes further than that, to the point of regarding expertise as generically suspect and corrupt, as in conventional medical research is "all about pushing pills."
Things have gotten a lot worse since he wrote it.

His observation was remarkably prescient.
Old 12-18-22, 04:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This thread has given me ideas. I am going to get a dynamo hub and attach the wires to my body to get electric current through my body while riding. Hopefully this set up will allow me to ride my bicycle disease free till I am 200 years old
Old 12-18-22, 04:46 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No reason to go barefoot -- just drag a small chain attached to your ankle.
I was shopping for sandals earlier this year and noticed that some have the option to be made with a sandal strap woven with a copper wire running the length of it and to a rivet that connects through the sole to the ground below. That would be lighter than the chain.

Otto
Old 12-18-22, 06:26 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
"just like my uncle charlie used to say, just before they sprung the trap: He said, "you can't cheat and honest man! Never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump!" ~ w. C. Fields
​​​​​​​
Old 12-18-22, 09:36 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I was shopping for sandals earlier this year and noticed that some have the option to be made with a sandal strap woven with a copper wire running the length of it and to a rivet that connects through the sole to the ground below. That would be lighter than the chain.

Otto
I wonder if a copper wire running from the bottom bracket to the ground would allow a bicycle to function as an earthing device
Old 12-19-22, 07:58 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I wonder if a copper wire running from the bottom bracket to the ground would allow a bicycle to function as an earthing device
I'm still wondering how the copper-infused fabrics work (if at all). There were a lot of T.V. commercials during sports programs for those products a while back that had some famous athletes in them (ex-QB Brett Farve was one) but I haven't seen any lately. They really didn't give any sound data on how the copper-infused fabric worked either during the commercial or if you look up the website.
Old 12-19-22, 09:52 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Reflexology has the answers to all of these questions. And there are some really cool multicolored charts.
Old 12-19-22, 10:12 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I'm still wondering how the copper-infused fabrics work (if at all). There were a lot of T.V. commercials during sports programs for those products a while back that had some famous athletes in them (ex-QB Brett Farve was one) but I haven't seen any lately. They really didn't give any sound data on how the copper-infused fabric worked either during the commercial or if you look up the website.
they don't work
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 12-19-22, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm still wondering how the copper-infused fabrics work (if at all).
They work by lightening the wallet of people who buy them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 11:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Copper bracelets have been around forever to "treat" arthritis. Those "copper-infused" neoprene wraps that are presently advertised on TV are just the latest incarnation.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-19-22, 01:58 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Didn't read the whole thread but 20-25 years ago it was magnets. The idea was, because of shoes, sidewalks, floors, etc. we lost contact with the Earth's magnetism which is transmitted into our bodies through direct contact with the Earth's surface, supposedly causing all manner of maladies. Yet another multi-level marketing uhh, "market" opened for magnetic shoe insoles. There were also a multitude of magnetic back braces, anklets, wristbands, etc. All guaranteed to cure everything from back pain, sleep apnea, and various prostrate "issues" if you get my drift. Even came out with a power wrist strap to cure your bad golf shots.
They all pretty well died out. After my own intro of buying some $200 magnetic insoles from a friend, which only accomplished lightening my wallet by $200 bucks, and a $25 golf bracelet which didn't make me feel better and certainly didn't improve my game, I pretty much became skeptical of it all.
A year ago after a 2nd cancer surgery, and because cycling had become more difficult, I started intermittent fasting, 16 hours a day without eating, also cut out almost all sugar and carbs, dropped 30-35 lbs. Arthritis isn't much troubling any longer, I can cycle longer & with less effort, inflammation has gone way down, sleep is better, and I've suffered only a minor head cold once or twice.
Changing diet, particularly with respect to sugar, carbs, processed crap, and losing some weight can work wonders.
Likes For WNCGoater:
Old 12-19-22, 02:11 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
...wife suffers from consistent minor pains due to her work as an RN. In her medical travels she comes across this concept of Earthing which has to do with reconnecting one’s self to the grounding (negative) electrical forces to achieve nirvana or whatever….
A nurse sleeps better after walking barefoot, outside, in the dirt and grass. Hell Yes!

Both Nurse's and Waitress's are experts in foot pain.

If they find something that helps You better listen...

Old 12-19-22, 02:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by zandoval
A nurse sleeps better after walking barefoot, outside, in the dirt and grass. Hell Yes!

If they find something that helps You better listen...

You don't want to be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

There might be a very simple, physically plausible mechanism: walking barefoot uses the foot muscles differently, and could relieve cramps and hot-spots. No need to posit unmeasurable static charge build-up. (If it was that, dissipating the charge by grabbing on to a grounded metal pipe should work just as well, or better.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-19-22, 02:47 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts

Old 12-19-22, 03:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
they don't work
There is value in compression for certain types of injuries. That is why they get testimonials. The copper does nothing.
Old 12-19-22, 03:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard

Glad to see another officer of the Grammar Police on duty and busting the evil doers. Of course my point could already be mute/moot over and done with <- ack a preposition!!!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-19-22, 04:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Lombard
Pos't of the week.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 12-19-22 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Punctuation irony sure can be ironic.
Old 12-19-22, 04:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rsbob
evil doers.
Remember the rule: There is a hyphen required in anal-retentive.

Of course my point could already be mute
​​​​​​​

That is one of the many benefits of communicating with ascii text.

​​​​​​​moot over and done with <- ack a preposition!!!
I think there is something else amiss, but I will leave it to a genuine language maven.
​​​​​​​
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-19-22, 06:00 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
They're still around but they don't hype the copper angle any longer. Largely because the FTC, or whoever regulates such advertising, told them to stop as it was bunk.
But they're still selling well and from everything I've heard it's actually very good athletic support wear. The copper was just a gimmick, but the product is supposedly high quality. Never tried it myself but have heard from enough trustworthy sources that I believe the anecdotal evidence.
Old 12-19-22, 11:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
A fine tradition of static elecquackery: https://museum.wkhs.com/collections/...medical-device
Lets not be too judgemental when labeling something that appears to be working as Quackery. Many times we find it easy to forget how things develop and change through time. The power of suggestion, routine, and even placebo are valuable. Do note when looking up the procedures for the use of this old electrical device in clinic, details on its placement and settings of the strength of the current were noted. When properly used it did in fact give relief of musculoskeletal pain. Evidently there was more money to be made by exaggerating its performance in curing disease and the device made much more money as a Bar Trick when being sold to the masses. Of course there are other forms of EleQuackery being used today. Some of them working very nicely...

Spinal Cord Stimulation

Pace Maker

AED

TAZER

Of course I am not sure you could label a TAZER as a Medical Device even though I am sure it has cured more then a few people... Ha
Old 12-20-22, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lets not be too judgemental when labeling something that appears to be working as Quackery. Many times we find it easy to forget how things develop and change through time. The power of suggestion, routine, and even placebo are valuable. Do note when looking up the procedures for the use of this old electrical device in clinic, details on its placement and settings of the strength of the current were noted.

You're just wrong about what that device is. From the link in my post:

​​​​​
. "The Davis’ & Kidder’s device dates from the mid- to late 19th Century. The machine was patented in 1854 and made in New York City by W.H. Burnap. Burnap claimed the device would use static electricity created by turning the handle to cure heart disease, lockjaw (tetanus), consumption (tuberculosis) even spinal deformities. " It was the magic power of electricity that was being marketed from the get-go. Its only connection between this and pain relief and pacemakers is just the coincidence of electricity.

Your claim for this is almost as bad as suggesting radiation therapy for cancer is descended from quack cures containing radium.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-20-22, 09:14 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Copper bracelets have been around forever to "treat" arthritis. Those "copper-infused" neoprene wraps that are presently advertised on TV are just the latest incarnation.
Now that you've mentioned it I do recall those. I remember them not for some mystical healing properties, but they were made for, and sold by, a charity for Vietnam vets and MIAs. Pretty popular back in the 1980s IIRC. Wasn't the reason for the copper about getting all the MIAs back and the PTSD-inflicted vets in treatment before the bracelets corroded off everyone's wrists?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.