Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

91' Trek Antelope 830 gravel conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 07:29 AM
Alicious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I recently rescued an abandoned Trek Antelope 830, most of the parts are rusty or even missing but the frameset is in good condition. I've stripped it completely and was thinking about converting to gravel but I'm quite new into the bike building business so I'm not sure about a few things:
- Fork: I know that sticking to V-brakes is the cheaper and easier option. But if I were to look for a fork with disc mount, what do I need to consider? What kind of fork am I looking for? Would any rigid MTB fork work? I'm aware I'll have to change the headset too.
- Cassette size: The rear dropouts are 135mm, can I fit a 10 speed gravel cassette?
- Rear disc brake: I have a arc welding machine and have some experience, would you recommend doing the rear disc brake mod?
- Drop levers: in terms of compatibility issues with v-brakes and drop levers I know the pull ratio is different and I've seen a lot of people just using the travel agent (which I'm happy to use if that's what is needed) but is there any other option I may be missing?
If there are any other considerations I have to take into account I'm happy to hear ideas and suggestions. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-19-24, 07:48 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I would give up on the idea of switching forks. The prospect of disc brakes may be enticing but the likelihood of finding a compatible disc is simply a non-starter. There just really isn't any overlap in the Venn diagram of standards common at various times. 26 inch rigid threaded forks and disc brakes really didn't exist together.

1 inch thread less and disc *may* have but I honestly can't think of any and if it were, it would be in a suspension fork that would radically change your bikes geometry. Even if you could find such a fork that still worked your bike would be very "boat-y"

To the 135mm rear end, if you already have an 8 speed cassette freehub, then upgrading all the way to mountain 11 or (gasp!) 12 speed is possible because the HG hub standard hasn't changed. There are various caveats, of course with derailleur capacity, etc...But it is possible.

If you have a freewheel, That is another complication.

For the rear disc you probably want TIG welding. But again, there is little benefit for all the effort.

Part of the joy of a drop bar conversion is the challenge of "workin' with what ya got" It is ridiculously easy do spend a lot more on a bike component or two than the entire bike may be worth.

I'd keep the scope to bars, stem and cables and replacing consumables like pads and tires and see where that takes you. These kinds of projects can be pretty fun with the right direction from the outset. Good Luck!

Last edited by base2; 02-19-24 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-19-24, 07:59 AM
Alicious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! Maybe that's why I'm finding so difficult to find a fork. At least when you're on a budget I guess (:

In terms of gearing all I wanted to know is how many speeds can I go with that dropout clearance without stressing the frame since I'm also changing wheels and I'd get whichever compatible hub, cassette and derrailleur. I just hope I'm not making this too complicated!

But I agree, it's being fun to learn about vintage builds and I really want to get this going. Will post pics when it's done!

Last edited by Alicious; 02-19-24 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-19-24, 09:26 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Pics when you get to 10 posts will be great to see what you are working with.

If you stay w/ 26" wheels (which makes sense), you can have a lot of fun w/ this bike.

I would stay w/ the fork you have, and good clearance cantis are already on a lot of older cross type bikes, so you are probably good there. If you have provisions (i.e. a rear brake back cable stop) on that bike for V-brakes, that usually my preference as I like them better, but YMMV.

Biggest change will probably be stem/drop bars. Most folks like to be able to get their bars either level or just slightly lower than the saddle. A lot of these older MTBs put the bars significantly lower than the saddle, so if you intend to do drop bar, it would be worth some time to intentionally consider what type of stem will work for that bike. The world is your oyster, and everything is available for you, so however you want to set it up, you'll have the option.

If you want some inspiration (and have a cup to drool in!), the bikepacking.com reader's rigs section is chock full of bike types and setups that may get the gears of your mind whirring. I know that bikepacking is a slight deviation from your intended purpose, but a lot of people make use of cross bikes for bikepacking and you might find a setup that speaks to you - each time I look, I know that I do!

We also have a thread on this subforum called MTB to drop bar conversions which is also going to provide a lot of ideas and inspiration for you. Have fun!

Old 02-19-24, 02:04 PM
Alicious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweeeet. There are some neat builds out there!! I'll check them out and have a re-think. Thanks!!
Old 02-19-24, 03:23 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Good information above and here's another link to a thread on the same topic.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions - Bike Forums
Old 02-20-24, 01:42 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
And unless you're intending to careen down steep hillsides at top speed, v-brakes are more than adequate.
Likes For Korina: