Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Diagnosing Skin Blemishes Related to Indoor Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 03:49 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts

I have made an appointment with a dermatologist. Unfortunately, that appointment is in August (Canada healthcare).

I'm going to attempt to diagnose and treat this myself somehow while I wait for my dermatologist appointment.

The photo below is of my rib cage area. The spots on my skin came on shortly after I took up indoor cycling last spring. They don't seem to be spreading, they are only on my chest and stomach, they don't itch or hurt, and they fade somewhat when I don't ride for a while.

I've switched to riding shirtless in a hurricane and I've been scrubbing my torso raw in the shower as soon as I get off of the bike. To no avail it seems. I'm also type 2 diabetic for what that's worth.

Anybody dealt with anything similar and willing to hazard a diagnosis and/or treatment option?

Have no fear, I'll not treat anyone's advice as being on par with that of a qualified medical professional.

Blotchy skin.
Old 03-21-24, 03:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
They don't seem to be spreading, they are only on my chest and stomach, they don't itch or hurt, and they fade somewhat when I don't ride for a while.
So why are you worried about them?
Old 03-21-24, 04:01 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
Do they appear when you ride outdoors? Are you wearing something on your torso that may cause some irritation, maybe polyester with some graphic design on it whose ink (Screenprinted or sublimated) is causing issues? (maybe just try a cotton shirt for a while?). Are you wearing a chest strap (heart monitor or similar device) that may be causing irritation. Its indoors where you're seeing it, so it can't be a reaction to sunscreen. If you can't see a dermatologist for 6 months try some variations (like what I mentioned) to see what happens and maybe narrow down when it occurs for the doctor when you go in for your appointment.
Old 03-21-24, 04:15 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by Koyote
So why are you worried about them?
My wife is not too excited about having me nearby shirtless.
Old 03-21-24, 04:18 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by skidder
Do they appear when you ride outdoors? Are you wearing something on your torso that may cause some irritation, maybe polyester with some graphic design on it whose ink (Screenprinted or sublimated) is causing issues? (maybe just try a cotton shirt for a while?). Are you wearing a chest strap (heart monitor or similar device) that may be causing irritation. Its indoors where you're seeing it, so it can't be a reaction to sunscreen. If you can't see a dermatologist for 6 months try some variations (like what I mentioned) to see what happens and maybe narrow down when it occurs for the doctor when you go in for your appointment.
I got the blemishes during indoor season. They become temporarily more prominent after an outdoor ride now, just as they do with indoor.

I've only ever ridden indoors with a cotton shirt. Some do have graphics.

I was wearing a chest strap HRM but I switched to a lower arm version a couple of months ago.

My laypersons read on it is that inadequate hygiene led to me being colonized in some way and that, perhaps, it will be resolved once I kill off the first batch of colonizers.

I did my first season indoor without a fan which most folks find bonkers. Heat wasn't a problem and I don't seem to sweat much relative to other people. I did sweat my way to some moderately damp shirts though. And, on occasion, I took the dog out after riding without a shower in-between.

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited by Harold74; 03-21-24 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 04:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I would get rid of the cotton t-shirt and at least try a dri-fit or similar top.

Maybe also spray some Tinactin or some other anti-fungal on it; it can't hurt.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-21-24, 04:32 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I would get rid of the cotton t-shirt and at least try a dri-fit or similar top.

Maybe also spray some Tinactin or some other anti-fungal on it; it can't hurt.
I've recently begun applying isopropyl alcohol to my armpits before rides - especially my 2-hour indoor rides. The OP might consider using the same on the areas that tend to become blotchy, maybe both before and after rides, if a shower isn't going to happen immediately.
Old 03-21-24, 05:32 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
It's just a heat rash. Nothing to worry about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria
Likes For Yan:
Old 03-21-24, 06:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Where in Canada is it not still indoor season?
Old 03-21-24, 06:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
98% of the time my dermatologist looks at things like this and says, "seborrheic dermatitis." Which, when I pressed once, he translated into English as "skin spots."

Of course, I've also heard "basal cell" and he told my wife once, "squamous cell." So it's worth getting it checked out.

FWIW it took about four months to get an appointment last year, here in 'Murka. Dermatologists are amazingly rare for the demand for them and for the little nights and weekends work they have to do. The blame doesn't exclusively belong to Canadian health care.
Old 03-21-24, 07:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
FWIW it took about four months to get an appointment last year, here in 'Murka. Dermatologists are amazingly rare for the demand for them and for the little nights and weekends work they have to do. The blame doesn't exclusively belong to Canadian health care.
Yeah, 4-6 months is common on dermatologist. But once they cut something off me and did a biopsy I get appointments they hold back much quicker.
Old 03-21-24, 08:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
This doesn’t look like something a doctor would be able to help you with, especially one in Canada (no offense)
Old 03-21-24, 09:40 PM
BATTLESTAR75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Try an OTC anti-fungal. I can't remember the name but I think it ended in "ole". Heard about it on BF for jock itch. Worked great.
Likes For BATTLESTAR75:
Old 03-21-24, 10:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I suggest a light wool blend t-shirt.

It's really easy to get heat rash indoors. It takes mid-summer heat outdoors for me to get it here in Central Pennsylvania. I got a fairly bad case of it one summer because of my helmet straps, so it was on my face. It just so happened that was the summer everybody at work was getting over shingles. They all told me I was coming down with shingles and I should go to a doctor. He laughed at me and gave me some anti-fungal crème.
Old 03-22-24, 06:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Could be Ringworm. Another vote for anti-fungal spray or cream. Takes 6 months or more to get a Derm appt here, plus it costs more.
Old 03-22-24, 11:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Doesn't look like fungus, but I don't know what it is. If you're concerned take it to a qualified provider, not the internet.
Old 03-22-24, 12:04 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Yan
It's just a heat rash. Nothing to worry about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria
Thanks for your comment, I'll look into that. I'm skeptical though. My blemishes don't have that localized, pimply character shown in the Wikipedia photos. I also don't have any of the itchiness usually described as a symptom.

Last edited by Harold74; 03-22-24 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-22-24, 12:06 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Doesn't look like fungus, but I don't know what it is. If you're concerned take it to a qualified provider, not the internet.
I made it pretty clear at the top that I'm pursuing both of those strategies. As an adult, and the owner of the body with the blemishes on it, I reserve the right to do whatever I feel is best.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 03-22-24, 12:12 PM
Harold74

It's interesting to know that wait times are similar in the US.

I'm tempted to try out this online, remotederm thing: Link. Probably out of pocket but no referal.
Old 03-22-24, 12:14 PM
Harold74

Regarding what I wear for a shirt, I'll factor the recommendations in for a time in the future when the rash is gone.

For now, I'm simply not wearing a shirt. And I've abandoned the chest strap HRM. So nothing on the affected area.
Old 03-22-24, 12:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Need more pics. Especially of your back. You can also take pics using a UV light. Light the kind used to check USA dollars for the ultraviolet stripe.

Most likely its Tinea Versicolor...
Old 03-22-24, 12:17 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've recently begun applying isopropyl alcohol to my armpits before rides - especially my 2-hour indoor rides. The OP might consider using the same on the areas that tend to become blotchy, maybe both before and after rides, if a shower isn't going to happen immediately.
I'm going to try this, among other things. Easy to apply in conjunction with chest hair and doesn't leave an odor. Definitely in the "won't hurt anything" category for me.

What's the theory behind your usage of Isopropyl if I may ask? Particularly, your using it before rides rather than after. Are you trying to clean out your pores to prevent blockages etc?
Old 03-22-24, 12:19 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I just laugh when I go in with a symptom described in layman's terms, and they come back with what means the very same, but in latin, as the dx.

are they whealed up any? I'm guessing not though, without the itch. Histamine reaction if so, maybe.

I've seen post covid wheals soothed and removed by an application of coconut or apple cider vinegar.

I got itchy welted rashes randomly after a lonestar tick bite.

Just some ideas. Not any sort of a diagnosis. Looks like freckling to me.
Old 03-22-24, 12:22 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Residual Citrus oils from soaps, or consumption of buckwheat, and some other things can cause skin to be more reactive to sun exposure.
Old 03-22-24, 12:22 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by zandoval
Need more pics. Especially of your back. You can also take pics using a UV light. Light the kind used to check USA dollars for the ultraviolet stripe.

Most likely its Tinea Versicolor...
Back is clear. Don't have UV light on hand.

Tinea Versicolor does seem to have a similar presentation. And that might be a nice option since it would be treatable with antifungal (hopefully topical and not oral).

Thanks.
Likes For Harold74:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.