Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How far should I go on first few rides... coach potato, 52 no health issues,

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 12:07 AM
runabout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just bought a bike and will pick it up next weekend.

I am 52 and have been a couch slug - ok desk chair slug, for the past 3 years. Before that I was a window cleaner for 3 years and was toned and 20lbs lighter.

I have NO clue how far is reasonable to go on my first ride.

I know I will be saddle sore for sure _ buying bike shorts before then... but I have no idea if the first few times out I should shoot for 3 miles, 7 miles, 10 - more ???

Any one have a suggestion? I know everyone is different, but I really have no clue if 3 miles is a blip that is just too short to bother with or if 10 miles is kinda long or what...

I have no clue what my speed will be, aside from pretty slow... bought a Lotus Excelle and boy are those tires skinny... I was a bit wobbly on the test ride and nervous about turning, so my first few rides I want to focus on just becoming one with the Lotus and getting solid on the basics... and comfortable in handling it.

I want to have a set distance, so that I don't flashback to being 13 on my brand new 10 speed and get confused and ride too far pumped on youthful memories and then be destroyed by it when I have to make the return and live through the next few days.

Thanks much for any tips on the first 5 or so rides on the pretty bike!
Old 06-05-15, 03:36 AM
GFish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Four years ago was my first time back on a bike in 32 years. Put slicks on a 80's era steel MTB and managed a 6 mile ride the first time out. I was thrilled! At the time, I didn't know the distance with no computer, so drove the route with the truck to see how far.

So how does this help you?

The point is, it's not about distance, it's how you're feeling while riding. Don't worry about time or distance, just focus on staying upright, riding safely, without over extending yourself and above all, have fun. If that works into a mile or two, or more, then great.

In time, you'll figure it out and adapt to how your feeling. Some days you'll fell strong and ride longer, then others will be short. It's not a race, there's no schedule, it's just you and the bike. There's a saying that's used often but all so true and certainly applies here............ Just get out and ride!

All the best.....
Old 06-05-15, 03:58 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat as GFish. Put some air in the old mountain bike tires and rode out and back, wasn't sure how far. I took a nap when I was done, and later drove the route to measure it. 8 miles, with one fairly long hill. Pretty much wiped me out. I kept at it, and have dropped 80 lbs over the past 4 years. I also now have a garage full of bikes, it got a bit out of control. I have no regrets at all. Lately I've been riding to work, 15 miles each way, a couple of times a week. Just enjoy yourself, I'm 59 and feel like I'm 12 when I'm on the bike!
Old 06-05-15, 04:14 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
Four years ago was my first time back on a bike in 32 years. Put slicks on a 80's era steel MTB and managed a 6 mile ride the first time out. I was thrilled! At the time, I didn't know the distance with no computer, so drove the route with the truck to see how far.

The point is, it's not about distance, it's how you're feeling while riding. Don't worry about time or distance, just focus on staying upright, riding safely, without over extending yourself and above all, have fun. If that works into a mile or two, or more, then great.

In time, you'll figure it out and adapt to how your feeling. Some days you'll fell strong and ride longer, then others will be short. It's not a race, there's no schedule, it's just you and the bike. There's a saying that's used often but all so true and certainly applies here............ Just get out and ride!

All the best.....
THIS!

GFish is spot on!
Old 06-05-15, 04:47 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your butt will tell you how far to ride .
Old 06-05-15, 05:55 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A set distance at this point? Nope, just go ride...spin, do not mash...ride for awhile, take a break and drink some water, and ride some more....your body will tell you when you have had enough...don't push beyond that and ride again the next day...I was off the bikes for 50 years and the first time back on I went for 3-1/2 miles and took a water break, and rode those 3-1/2 miles back home....I was damn proud of myself.
Oh, and I averaged a whopping 8 mph....a couple years later and 80 lbs lighter, it takes me almost that distance to get warmed up...
Old 06-05-15, 06:01 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
A set distance at this point? Nope, just go ride...spin, do not mash...ride for awhile, take a break and drink some water, and ride some more....your body will tell you when you have had enough...don't push beyond that and ride again the next day...I was off the bikes for 50 years and the first time back on I went for 3-1/2 miles and took a water break, and rode those 3-1/2 miles back home....I was damn proud of myself.
Oh, and I averaged a whopping 8 mph....a couple years later and 80 lbs lighter, it takes me almost that distance to get warmed up...
+1 Nailed it!
Old 06-05-15, 06:09 AM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish

All the best.....
All of this. Just enjoy the ride for now, you can add pain and suffering later.
Old 06-05-15, 07:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
When I started I did a 5 mile loop around a local park and it was plenty. I thought I was a badass when I was able to do 2 loops much later.
Of course, that was 1982, or so.
Old 06-05-15, 07:57 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Everyone is different, so listen to your whole body, not just your butt or your legs.

The numbers quoted above are staggering compared to my first rides. I managed the 0.67 mile ride home from the LBS with a rest stop in the middle. For several weeks I needed to stop halfway on my two-mile commute.

These days, I stretch my commute out to 17 miles going to work, and shorten each end a bit for 13 mile rides home. When I get out with the club, I look at their 30-50 mile rides, then ride the 10 or 20 to the ride start, then again back home.
Old 06-05-15, 08:04 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I always recommend a VERY short distance the 1st day.
See what your legs/body tell you on day 2 and adjust upwards if able.
When I got back into riding about 12? years ago, I didn't go that far, but I was mashing.
The next day my calves were so sore, I didn't get on the bike for over a week.

just add a little everyday and in a week you'll be going much longer and not be miserable.
Spin, don't mash. Don't be afraid to stay one gear lower than you think you can handle.
Old 06-05-15, 08:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The first few rides, time not distance. Of course we want milestones, to know that you rode farther today than ever before. But I think as a target it's better at first to think of time in the saddle than how far.

The reason for this is that after a certain amount of time - it could be 20 minutes, or any amount of time - it's just going to feel sore on the saddle. It's not the saddle - we adapt to it and as we ride more it takes longer before that feeling hits. Or eventually, stops happening. We'll also get faster just naturally, and able to sit in the saddle longer the rides naturally have more miles.

It doesn't matter where we start, even one mile or around the block, because as long as we do it consistently and strive for a little more - harder, or longer - we usually improve quickly and reach the same levels regardless of the starting point.
Old 06-05-15, 08:43 AM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I always recommend a VERY short distance the 1st day.
See what your legs/body tell you on day 2 and adjust upwards if able.
When I got back into riding about 12? years ago, I didn't go that far, but I was mashing.
The next day my calves were so sore, I didn't get on the bike for over a week.

just add a little everyday and in a week you'll be going much longer and not be miserable.
Spin, don't mash. Don't be afraid to stay one gear lower than you think you can handle.
Lots of good advice in this thread, but when I got back in to biking (and even when I was biking, but taking winters off) the first ride of the season always seemed to feel pretty good, but it as the second ride that was the real test.
Old 06-05-15, 09:00 AM
SurfNTurf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by SurfNTurf; 06-10-15 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 09:13 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't over do it. My wife and I just got back in to cycling this spring and started with 20mi. rides. Big mistake. Saddle sore, hip and knee pain etc. etc. We did not have our bikes fitted properly, we didn't have water bottles.... the list goes on and on.
Old 06-05-15, 09:31 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Don't measure anything. Just go out for a ride and enjoy it, like you did when you were 12.

All that other stuff will come.
Old 06-05-15, 09:49 AM
langa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
Your butt will tell you how far to ride .
I agree with this. Your butt might get sore before your legs ever do. I suggest going out for half an hour and extending that to an hour if you are up for it. Mileage can range from 5-15 miles depending on how fast you go.
Old 06-05-15, 09:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Use your bike to go get your groceries.. ride more daily , commute to work, Do not wait till the weekend riding binge.. .
Old 06-05-15, 12:36 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I agree with tsl, most of the returning first and even more, rides are far beyond what I managed to pedal when I got back on the bicycle after a lot of health issues, for 25 years. I was managing to eke out 2 miles a day, 5 days a week, and felt like I had been in a marathon, or maybe a nice long forced march. It took me a bit to get my fitness where I could do the mileage I now am capable of producing, but it was worth all the effort to keep at it.

As so many said above, just ride what you feel good at doing right now, let your body tell you when its time to increase. the long rides will come to you, if you stick with cycling, and not by spending a fortune on a bicycle, although that can be fun, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-05-15, 12:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Aim for 5 mile rides..as you get stronger go for 5 miles, rest then try another 5 miles.

Practice standing to coast, then pedal in a high gear while standing.

Old 06-05-15, 12:52 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As many have said, "how far" is the wrong question. A much better question is "what kinds of things can I do to really get into riding and stay with it for a lifetime?"

Pushing until you're sore doesn't work for too many. Even riding by time doesn't work. Get into spending some off the bike time planning routes (try ridewithgps.com). Map out routes to visit friends or to visit scenic spots or to stop for lunch at a new restaurant. Bring along a friend ... or two ... or more.

Read up on safety equipment, comfortable clothing and various bike toys. Read about bike safety. Read about hill climbing techniques. Become a motivated student.

The greatest reward will be found by learning to love cycling and staying with it for a lifetime. Building up quickly so you can ride fast and long is probably not the best place to start.

For your first ride, ride short enough so that you'll want to ride the next day and the next and the next and ...
Old 06-05-15, 01:22 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The only reason there's not a 12 step program for bike riding is because no one wants to lose the addiction/obsession once they have it. Ride all you want and don't worry about distance.
Old 06-05-15, 03:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
Lots of good advice in this thread, but when I got back in to biking (and even when I was biking, but taking winters off) the first ride of the season always seemed to feel pretty good, but it as the second ride that was the real test.
Probably because you overdid the first ride.
Old 06-05-15, 05:04 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Probably because you overdid the first ride.
No doubt I overdid it That's kind of my point; sometimes the first ride feels pretty good , but then, the second ride . . . not so much .
Old 06-05-15, 05:47 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
For your first ride, try riding around the neighborhood and see how you feel afterward. I started riding again after a 20 year hiatus at age 63. My wife bought me a bike for my birthday and I was anxious to try it out that night. After supper, I went for a ride around the neighborhood. Like tsl, I rode less than a mile and I was done. Couldn't walk for the next two days and swore I would never get on the bike again. If it wasn't for the fact she paid more money for the bike than what I would have spent on any bike, I would have given up. But I didn't. At age 68, I'm riding six days and 200-250 miles a week.

My favorite cycling slogan is a sign I saw hanging over the sales counter in a bike shop that read, "The more you ride the better you get and the better you get the more you ride." Listen to your body and don't start off trying to do too many miles or worry about how fast you are going. There isn't going to be any medals or chances to stand on a podium when you get done. Enjoy each ride and the rest will come to you.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.