Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1983 Schwinn Super LeTour

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 08:34 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
1983 Schwinn Super LeTour

I'm going to check out what appears to be a Super Le Tour 12 speed 1983. 41/30 frame sporting a 105 gearset which doesn't fit the profile as they came with Suntour ARX. Everything else looks correct Dia Compe 500 with Aero levers and Braze on top mounted downtube shifters. What does anyone know of these ? Would I be crazy not to snatch it up for $100 ?
Old 04-06-23, 08:39 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
I've got a 83 Le Tour 4130. It's not really lightweight, but it's not a boat anchor either. It does have a nice ride quality.
Old 04-06-23, 09:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Moved posts from C&V to their own thread in Appraisals.

Old 04-06-23, 09:34 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
If everything works good and it has decent wheels $100 would be a good price in most markets.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-07-23, 06:17 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Again I ask the key question or at least "A" key question what will you do with it? is this for a flip? A keeper?

A nice, solid bike and I'm sure it will be a smooth ride. As noted, not super lightweight, but that may not matter to you.
Old 04-07-23, 07:42 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
I'm going to check out what appears to be a Super Le Tour 12 speed 1983. 41/30 frame sporting a 105 gearset which doesn't fit the profile as they came with Suntour ARX. Everything else looks correct Dia Compe 500 with Aero levers and Braze on top mounted downtube shifters. What does anyone know of these ? Would I be crazy not to snatch it up for $100 ?
Fair price if it rides.
Old 04-07-23, 10:15 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Flip or not.

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Again I ask the key question or at least "A" key question what will you do with it? is this for a flip? A keeper?

A nice, solid bike and I'm sure it will be a smooth ride. As noted, not super lightweight, but that may not matter to you.
I am putting together a stable of the best 5 according to my needs, for example my Motobecane Grand Touring touring , Specialized for the boat and this would take the place of the Centurion accordo rs as a daily beater/ BART / shopper and give me a project. I like to get to know a bike before flipping it.
Old 04-07-23, 10:26 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I am putting together a stable of the best 5 according to my needs, for example my Motobecane Grand Touring touring , Specialized for the boat and this would take the place of the Centurion accordo rs as a daily beater/ BART / shopper and give me a project. I like to get to know a bike before flipping it.
I haven't owned an Accordo, but I suspect the two are somewhat comparable. I did own an Ironman for a short time but sold it. It was a great bike and only space prevented me from keeping it.

For a daily beater, the Super LeTour would be a strong candidate. If you get it I'll bet you like it. The price is reasonable.
Old 04-14-23, 09:42 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I have an 84 Fuji Club that came with those ARX derailleurs, usually I really like Suntour, but those ARX's were not that great, I took them off after about 500 miles and put on Suntour Superbe Tech rear and Superbe Pro front instead, if shifts wonderfully. Probably some previous owner had the same issues with the ARX so they put on the Shimano, not a huge deal like it would have been if it were a higher end bike. A lot of people today are selling higher end bikes after they stripped the higher end components and put on cheap crap so they can sell the components separately to someone, and then they sell the bike to another person who may not be knowledgeable enough to know what components came on the bike originally, so they paid a premium for a high end bike only to get crappy non original components.

That bike, depending on condition, is worth between $100 to $200 tops regardless what components are on it.
Old 04-14-23, 11:52 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
lighter the better for BART is my move. So many stairs! I often use but feel the pain of my 83 stumpjumper sport.