Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1972 Bottecchia Paint

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1972 Bottecchia Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 06:54 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
1972 Bottecchia Paint

I have a 1972 Giro D'Italia that I'm cleaning up. I think the bike was a little tall for the original owner and I was told there was some sort of foam pad on the top tube which left lots of adhesive residue. The residue is coming off with a little work and Goo Gone, but I'm noticing a difference between the cleaned section and the rest of the paint. On the left side of this image is the area I clean up, and going to the right is an area that didn't have the residue. It appears to have a coat of something that makes the paint slightly darker depending on lighting. Is this part of the paint? Some of it has come off with Goo Gone, but it takes a lot of effort. I'm not sure if I should keep cleaning or just stop with the residue that I removed.
Old 06-23-23, 11:32 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
I have a 1972 Giro D'Italia that I'm cleaning up. I think the bike was a little tall for the original owner and I was told there was some sort of foam pad on the top tube which left lots of adhesive residue. The residue is coming off with a little work and Goo Gone, but I'm noticing a difference between the cleaned section and the rest of the paint. On the left side of this image is the area I clean up, and going to the right is an area that didn't have the residue. It appears to have a coat of something that makes the paint slightly darker depending on lighting. Is this part of the paint? Some of it has come off with Goo Gone, but it takes a lot of effort. I'm not sure if I should keep cleaning or just stop with the residue that I removed.
Looks like top coat, maybe discolored clear and its chrome underneath, very slippery slope here.

Maybe no turning back but I think this may be a no win.

Botty's paint was often marginal at best so.....
Old 06-23-23, 06:20 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by merziac
Looks like top coat, maybe discolored clear and its chrome underneath, very slippery slope here.

Maybe no turning back but I think this may be a no win.

Botty's paint was often marginal at best so.....
That's sort of what I was thinking it might be but wasn't sure if Bottecchia used a clear coat. It looked much worse with the residue so I guess it's at least improved. I have the checkered decals that will go right before that clamp so the color change may be a bit hidden when I add those. I'll wait for any other thoughts before I make any more moves though. I'm not going for a perfect look, just an old worn Italian race bike look.
Old 07-02-23, 04:45 PM
BikingViking793 

Anyone out there with a Bottecchia that has seen this before? Still trying to decide what I want to do. From what I’ve read goo gone shouldn’t remove a topcoat, but maybe it aged.