Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike Counts (manual or automatic)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 04:08 PM
bikejeff

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm working with a bicycle advocacy group and it's been several years since we've done a bike count. It seems that this spring we'll be doing a bike count and I wanted to hear from other groups that may have done bike counts in the past. How have you done your bike count?

We'll be doing a manual count. In the past we categorized; 'people on bicycles', and then tried to capture, helmets, sidewalk, wrong way, and women details for our report. This was provided to the city and other groups that might find the information interesting.
Old 02-15-24, 11:50 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
i guess i dont get it. what is it that you are asking? What is the intended purpose for the info received to be used for & how will it benefit the bicyclists in USA?
Old 02-16-24, 02:58 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Nearly every motorized mode of travel has volume data available that makes calculation of incident rates feasible. It's the denominator in many safety-related calculations such as crashes or fatalities per million vehicle-miles on a particular facility. Bicycle travel (and pedestrian travel as well) doesn't have this denominator data except in limited amounts in a few areas. Surrogate data such as population is often used, which isn't generally directly comparable and can lead to skewed results. This can hold back effective analysis, and can result in funding going elsewhere.
Old 02-18-24, 02:05 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejeff
I'm working with a bicycle advocacy group and it's been several years since we've done a bike count. It seems that this spring we'll be doing a bike count and I wanted to hear from other groups that may have done bike counts in the past. How have you done your bike count?

We'll be doing a manual count. In the past we categorized; 'people on bicycles', and then tried to capture, helmets, sidewalk, wrong way, and women details for our report. This was provided to the city and other groups that might find the information interesting.
Find your spot, find a building, set up a camera, let it run for 12 hours, analyze the recording. HTH.
Likes For Korina:
Old 02-21-24, 11:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I've never done bike counts, but have done plenty of reef fish surveys

Assuming that you have no need of tracking combinations, ie. women wearing helmets, you need only count the individual items.

So, create columns, ie. BIKES, HELMETS, WOMEN, SALMON, etc.
Then record each observed using the basic 4 slash and cross for 5 method.

If you're surveying a busy path, and have enough volunteers, have each only count one thing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.