Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Boardman, Specialized or Trek?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 12:47 AM
rg7008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I’m in the search of a bike after not riding for 15 years. I’m at 330lbs down from 350lbs and want to add cycling to my life (in addition to tennis and outdoor walks). I’ve settled on a few hybrids and want to ask which is better in terms of durability, ease of maintenance and adaptability to me as a clyde (also something not too difficult to “relearn” how to ride). I plan to use a cyclescheme voucher and my budget is £600 for the bike, I’m in the UK. I plan on doing roads and bike paths at least 90% of the time and 10% on hard packed dirt when cutting through the park. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Boardman 8.6 URB: love how this one looks but a bit hesitant on only 3 gears and 700x32mm tyres.
  • Boardman 8.6 HYB: looks good I think, not sure if the geometry is too aggresive or not, 700x37mm tyres and 2x9 gears
  • Specialized Sirrus X 2.0: like it in black, only has 1x8 gears which sounds easy to use, not sure if geometry is too aggresive or not, comes with 700x42mm tyres
  • Trek Dual Sport Gen 5: chunky tyres at 650bx50mm (is this too big?) and 2x9 gears
Old 04-15-24, 09:43 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 153 Posts
For me, I’m thinking the Boardman 8.6 HYB or the Specialized Sirrus.

You’ll do good on those, I think.