Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Longer Stem To Compensate for Too Small Bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 07:49 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

So I've seen some riders with 150+mm stems which look a bit odd. There explanation given was that the bike was too small but the next size was too big and a long stem solves the problem.

It kind of makes sense as the main differences b/w say a size 50 and 54 is 4cm in seat tube height (which can be overcome by setting the seat higher by 4cm) and the longer stem overcomes the increase in top tube length.

a) Have people seen this before.
b) What are the downsides of a too long stem.
Old 05-22-15, 08:00 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The downside is compromised handling. The general accepted theory is stems should be 90-120mm. I've seen some fitters say 80-140mm is acceptable range.
Old 05-22-15, 08:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
I've heard that too but I haven't seen proof. In fact the posts and comments from many people with 130-140 stems said handling is no different than 100-110 stems on the same bike.
Old 05-22-15, 08:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I put 140mm stems on five bikes..

Made for a much better fit.

Never noticed any problems.

Old 05-22-15, 08:37 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I've heard that too but I haven't seen proof. In fact the posts and comments from many people with 130-140 stems said handling is no different than 100-110 stems on the same bike.
well shouldn't the comparison be made between two different size frames with the corresponding stems?
Old 05-22-15, 08:40 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Long stems require you to make large motions to steer and make it easier to steer the bike by shifting your weight. Short stems allow you to steer with smaller, more precise movements. Short-stem bikes require less effort to steer, but may feel unstable to riders not used to the fine movements involved. Long stems make it easier to shift your weight forward, which is an advantage when struggling up a steep incline, while short stems allow you to shift your weight to the rear, which is an advantage when going downhill.
Long vs. Short Stem Bicycle | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 05-22-15, 09:01 PM
Macster

Bikes: Litespeed Classic; Lemond Zurich

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts
DON'T feed the troll.
Old 05-22-15, 09:11 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I once read the optimum stem length for someone in the middle of the body proportion bell curve on the right size bike is 120mm, which has seemed pretty legit ever since. 120s suit me unless I'm on the wrong bike.

My beater is an inch or two too small and has a 130mm stem, and the handling isn't quite kosher. But the main thing wrong with it is I have toe overlap, which noone should have to deal with (small bikes should have 650c front wheels, IMO).

Originally Posted by Macster
DON'T feed the troll.
What makes you sure this is trolling? Is this subject like chain lube in the Mechanics forum?
Old 05-22-15, 09:14 PM
Macster

Bikes: Litespeed Classic; Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
What makes you sure this is trolling? Is this subject like chain lube in the Mechanics forum?
I know nothing about the mechanics forum. But visit this guys profile page - he's started like 25 threads in the last 30 days. I mean, come on now, how much attention does one need? Lol
Old 05-22-15, 09:14 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments on stem length limits.

Lets say FRAME A is 50cm and has a TT length of 54cm.
Lets say FRAME B is 54cm and has a TT length of 58cm.

Would FRAME A with 14cm seat height and a 140mm stem ride almost the same as FRAME B with 10cm seat height and a 100mm stem?
Old 05-22-15, 09:25 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts

One from the archives. Note the AAA battery lights.

This is a 130mm stem on a 56 frame. I'm 6'2. The fit is a bit off in this picture and the track bars are sort of silly, but it worked. The handling wasn't bad or anything.

Toe overlap happens, but it doesn't bother me at all. My old shoes wore a hole in the front from rubbing the tire for 4 years, but the sole snapped before the hole got too big.

The only real issue is getting your stem high enough.
Old 05-22-15, 09:29 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by Inpd
Would FRAME A with 14cm seat height and a 140mm stem ride almost the same as FRAME B with 10cm seat height and a 100mm stem?
Yes, until you turn the bike. You're supposed to have a certain weight distribution relative to the head tube and wheelbase; up to a point it's better to have your weight further back from the head tube, without compromising the seat/crank relationship.

Thus, a bike that's a little too big will generally handle better than one that's a little too small.
Old 05-22-15, 09:31 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by soody
the only real issue is getting your stem high enough.
I don't have that issue...

Ignore the seat angle, I'm a weirdo (although I see @Soody is too). Hmm, perhaps conformity is so rife that it's actually better for most, rather than a few, to point the seat the bars rather than have it level...?

Anyway, compare the position on that bike which is too small for me, to this one where my bike is on the large side.

And this one's my size.

As for the oddball bar/lever setup, I explained it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140308_180206.jpg (96.9 KB, 110 views)
Image1.jpg (98.9 KB, 102 views)
IMG_20140308_181830.jpg (97.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Kimmo; 05-22-15 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 09:45 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As people have said, the downside is handling. If hands are too far in front of the wheel axle, you'll find your steering weird, especially if you get out of the saddle.

That said, the key measure is not stem length, but where your grip is relative to the front wheel axle (point of contact of the tire with the ground). Too far in front and you'll steer when you are trying to go straight standing out of the saddle, and the bike will feel sluggish when you actually do go to turn. Too far behind and when you stand, you'll get a "wheelbarrow" effect where your bike will try to steer the opposite direction of your weight when you stand on the pedals; when you go to turn, your bike will be exceptionally twitchy.

Choose a stem where your main grip on the drops is at your front axle, +- about an inch. There are really no hard and fast rules, but if your grip fall outside this range, maybe think about finding a different size frame.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-22-15, 09:50 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
As people have said, the downside is handling. If hands are too far in front of the wheel axle, you'll find your steering weird, especially if you get out of the saddle.

That said, the key measure is not stem length, but where your grip is relative to the front wheel axle (point of contact of the tire with the ground). Too far in front and you'll steer when you are trying to go straight standing out of the saddle, and the bike will feel sluggish when you actually do go to turn. Too far behind and when you stand, you'll get a "wheelbarrow" effect where your bike will try to steer the opposite direction of your weight when you stand on the pedals; when you go to turn, your bike will be exceptionally twitchy.

Choose a stem where your main grip on the drops is at your front axle, +- about an inch. There are really no hard and fast rules, but if your grip fall outside this range, maybe think about finding a different size frame.
+1 Thanks Brian for a most informative post!
Old 05-22-15, 09:52 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
A saddle tilted down is good for a bike with a big saddle- bar drop that is ridden for less than 2 hours at a time.

I reckon you'd see it a lot, especially in TTs, if there wasn't a silly UCI rule. They just use noseless saddles instead i guess.

Cool bike, but you're wasting that lever. Why not hook up a bell or something.
Old 05-23-15, 04:34 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Thanks for the comments on stem length limits.

Lets say FRAME A is 50cm and has a TT length of 54cm.
Lets say FRAME B is 54cm and has a TT length of 58cm.

Frame A will ride a hair stiffer since it's smaller and will handle a little slower. And of course the stem will be set higher. A slower steering bike isn't necessarily a bad thing. I heard Phill Ligget mention once that the guys in the pro peleton, and especially sprinters, tend to run longer stems because it makes their bike more stable and less twitchy in the pack.

Mark Cavendish's bike with a 140mm stem:

Old 05-23-15, 05:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody

One from the archives. Note the AAA battery lights.

This is a 130mm stem on a 56 frame. I'm 6'2. The fit is a bit off in this picture and the track bars are sort of silly, but it worked. The handling wasn't bad or anything.

Toe overlap happens, but it doesn't bother me at all. My old shoes wore a hole in the front from rubbing the tire for 4 years, but the sole snapped before the hole got too big.

The only real issue is getting your stem high enough.
Of note, you could/should have opted to create some of the seat-to-bar distance by opting for a seatpost with some offset.
Old 05-23-15, 06:36 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
For perspective, let's keep in mind that the differences here, in weight distribution and steering motion, are very small. While there is some impact on handling, having your reach off by an inch has more effect than an inch longer stem with the right reach.

YMMV but it is easy to see how a shorter stem would change the handling on your bike - just move your hands back from the hoods an inch and ride like that for a while.