Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Romin 130mm alternative?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 02:07 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello all,

I currently have a Specialized Romin 130mm saddle I like, but they dont make the 130mm version anymore.

Would I be better off with a 143mm Romin or a 130mm Toupe I can find used? I have narrow sitbones, so In guessing the 143mm wont work, but perhaps there is not that much difference? Is the Toupe much different from the Romin?

Any other recommendations for something similar to a 130mm Romin? I have tried Fizik Antares and Selle Italia C2 but did not like them. Currently trying to replace a stock Bontrager montrose Comp 138mm that is too wide.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-22, 06:12 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Berk Lupina is a very similar shape, available in 132mm width. I did not have luck with reliability on these saddles, but then I'm a bigger rider (6'2", 195 pounds). I think the Selle Italia SLR (non-boost) variants are also a similar shape, yet much more reliable, and run 128mm to 132mm depending on model. Don't recommend SLR Superflow TM as the padding is too soft, so consider the Ti316 SLR Superflow as an entry-level option to try out the shape. I'm currently running a C59 and an SLR Tekno Flow on my other bike.

I, too, have narrow sit bones. It is incredibly frustrating that the mainstream brands don't offer anything for narrow-boned folks (I'm looking at you, Specialized . . . cause I'd like to try a 3D printed saddle).
Old 02-09-22, 06:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Try out the Selle Italia SP-01. Eg.. not too pricey if it doesn't work out:
SELLE ITALIA SP-01
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-10-22, 02:58 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hello all,

I currently have a Specialized Romin 130mm saddle I like, but they dont make the 130mm version anymore.

Would I be better off with a 143mm Romin or a 130mm Toupe I can find used? I have narrow sitbones, so In guessing the 143mm wont work, but perhaps there is not that much difference? Is the Toupe much different from the Romin?

Any other recommendations for something similar to a 130mm Romin? I have tried Fizik Antares and Selle Italia C2 but did not like them. Currently trying to replace a stock Bontrager montrose Comp 138mm that is too wide.

Thanks!
Was on a Toupe for a while, then started doing a bit more climbing, so looked at the Romin with its more raised rear.
Ended up on a Fabric Scoop Shallow model. Has a similar rear raise height to the Romin, but doesn't fall away at the sides that much.

The carbon rail model -and the top- feels way more comfy than the Romin.
Comes in a 134mm for the similar shape but with cutout: Fabric Line Race/Elite Shallow.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 02-10-22, 08:41 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I was a huge fan of the toupe shape but they changed it a few years ago. still good but not as. I measured my sit bones on the specialized foam board and although I had always used saddles in the mid 130’s I had no problem going to the 143 new Romin (3D print). Perhaps because it is more rounded than the toupe which is flatter on the top.

I had the Fabric scoop discussed above with carbon rails, great saddle but wasn’t for me. If you’re current Romin is shaped similarly you may like it. Sucks that there are no real demo opportunities around these days. My Fabric scoop is being tried by a friend right now but if he doesn’t like it I’d happily send it to you to try and if you like it you can buy it. I’ve done this with a few forum members before where we swapped saddles in a “pay it forward” kind of way. The others that I have would probably be too wide though
Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-10-22, 10:42 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Those are pretty damn good replies.

Since Specialized cancelled the 130mm, and eBay supplies have dried up, I've become increasingly worried.
The old 143mm was ok for me several years ago, but I've been much happier on the 130mm. I haven't tried the newer versions of the 143, but they may be the place to start.

In addition to those mentioned above, the Selle SMP F20 and Selle Italia SLR Superflow look promising.
Old 02-10-22, 11:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
The Selle San Marco Shortfit Racing is similar in shaping to the Romin and available in 134mm. It's maybe 10mm shorter, but also super light at 175g.

San Marco Shortfit Racing
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-10-22, 02:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by RNAV

I, too, have narrow sit bones. It is incredibly frustrating that the mainstream brands don't offer anything for narrow-boned folks (I'm looking at you, Specialized . . . cause I'd like to try a 3D printed saddle).
Not sure why, but I find funny that for saddles, Specialized is now considered a mainstream brand.. you know, versus all those obscure italian brands...
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-10-22, 05:39 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure why, but I find funny that for saddles, Specialized is now considered a mainstream brand.. you know, versus all those obscure italian brands...
absolutely agree, but I’ll say that although I’ve had quite a few saddles from the saddle brands, Italian and others that Specialized has really nailed all things that I would consider contact points. Especially saddles and shoes. Heck, I’m dying to find problems with them but so far no shoe that I’ve tried compares to the S-Works dual boa (I’ve had the first version from 2013 and just retired them for the new 7’s), same for the saddles, I swear I was hoping that this “Mirror” was just a gimmick but it’s freaking a phenomenal saddle. I also had the Fitzik evo 3d printed one and it’s not even close albeit same manufacturer for both.
Old 02-10-22, 06:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I consider Specialized to be a mainstream brand for pretty much anything related to a bike, especially saddles. How far back would you have to go before Specialized saddles were considered a niche product?
Old 02-10-22, 06:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I consider Specialized to be a mainstream brand for pretty much anything related to a bike, especially saddles. How far back would you have to go before Specialized saddles were considered a niche product?
I'm not really saying Specialized isn't mainstream, even though it's about half the age of the Selle Italia, SMP, San Marco stuff. It's rather that these historic saddle companies are implied as not mainstream. I just find it amusing.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-14-22, 09:29 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, some good suggestions here.

I think I will start with trying just the 143mm version of the Romin, and take it from there.
The Selle Italia SLR or Fabric Line Shallow and the Selle San Marco Shortfit Racing seem like good options to try as well. Thanks!

Originally Posted by robbyville
I had the Fabric scoop discussed above with carbon rails, great saddle but wasn’t for me. If you’re current Romin is shaped similarly you may like it. Sucks that there are no real demo opportunities around these days. My Fabric scoop is being tried by a friend right now but if he doesn’t like it I’d happily send it to you to try and if you like it you can buy it. I’ve done this with a few forum members before where we swapped saddles in a “pay it forward” kind of way. The others that I have would probably be too wide though
That is very nice of you to offer, thanks. But I live in Europe, so I doubt it would be worth shipping halfway across the world . What I have ended up doing in the past is buying a bunch of saddles used, and if they don't work out, I can usually sell them again for the same price I bought them for.

I am kicking myself for selling a Romin 130mm I had, which had alloy rails, when I upgraded to a carbon railed one.