Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot! ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 02:50 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Peugeot! ?

Someone bought me this lovely french bike to fix up today.
It won't be a proper restoration, or period correct, budget will not be that high, but i want it to look good, and ride good.

I need some help. Firstly, what is it?
Any advice or info appreciated, because i suspect French tricks and i am not used to them.

Last edited by Soody; 03-07-22 at 05:11 AM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 03-07-22, 02:57 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

I always found even clearly low end Peugeots quite charming. Nice graphics and iunno. This seems better than that though.

Likes For Soody:
Old 03-07-22, 03:07 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Looks like my Triathlon peug. That was from 1987.
Had the same seatpost.

IIRC I had a Dura Ace RD installed at some point. And the BB was "normal" threaded, I think I replaced it with a Shimano BB UN 50? You know, the standard thing.
https://www.peugeotshow.com/1987nl/1987_04.jpg <-- mine.

Yours should be of similar age. Hope this helps!
Old 03-07-22, 05:09 AM
Soody

Issues:
A shop has swapped a square taper Sora crank on there. The DS arm is loose on the taper, and has been ridden, so i suspect destroyed. Is the shell a french standard?

The quill seatpost bolt took a lot to crack. Once the bolt loosens, it just spins, and the post doesn't move. I suspect it's a cone-type expander, that moves down slightly, then just spins?

The simplex FD clamp snapped straight away when I tried to shift it in the stand.
The rear derailer hanger is threaded french? Is it a good mech? The cage is extremely short. If i swapped to a 11-28 cassette with a different wheel, would this shift it?

The hubs both feel very rough. The alloy rims are messed up. And some spokes are very loose and the rims are out of true. If i keep them, will the axle threading take shimano cones? Is the freewheel threading generic? Would a 7spd tourney freewheel go on here, with or without re-dishing? It would be very good to have wider gearing.

What can be done about the messed up rims, specifically the brake surfaces, with this marred aluminium?

It definitely needs new brake pads. I will suggest a modern dual pivot front caliper if budget allows, meaning drilling the fork. The levers are nice, but the hoods are badly dry rotted. Can they be replaced?

sacré bleu
Old 03-07-22, 05:38 AM
Millstone

Originally Posted by Soody
Issues:
A shop has swapped a square taper Sora crank on there. The DS arm is loose on the taper, and has been ridden, so i suspect destroyed. Is the shell a french standard?

The quill seatpost bolt took a lot to crack. Once the bolt loosens, it just spins, and the post doesn't move. I suspect it's a cone-type expander, that moves down slightly, then just spins?

The simplex FD clamp snapped straight away when I tried to shift it in the stand.
The rear derailer hanger is threaded french? Is it a good mech? The cage is extremely short. If i swapped to a 11-28 cassette with a different wheel, would this shift it?

The hubs both feel very rough. The alloy rims are messed up. And some spokes are very loose and the rims are out of true. If i keep them, will the axle threading take shimano cones? Is the freewheel threading generic? Would a 7spd tourney freewheel go on here, with or without re-dishing? It would be very good to have wider gearing.

What can be done about the messed up rims, specifically the brake surfaces, with this marred aluminium?

It definitely needs new brake pads. I will suggest a modern dual pivot front caliper if budget allows, meaning drilling the fork. The levers are nice, but the hoods are badly dry rotted. Can they be replaced?

sacré bleu
BB is probably standard.

Seatpost quill is a "wedge" type.

Threads for RD is probably standard i.e. normal.

Heliomantic freewheel is "special". I'd spread the frame a tad and use a normal wheel with 8 speed cassette.
Should be 126 mm now, 2 mm each side can probably be done by hand.

I'd replace the wheels if they are that bad. Then again, I cant redish a wheel so YMMV. Others will probably give better advise.

I'd look at 1988 catalogues. Or there about.
Old 03-07-22, 05:51 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Looks like you have some work cut out for you but still a nice frame and paint looks good! On brake hoods, I've always had good luck with the Cane Creek non-aero brake hoods available on eBay, Amazon, etc., particularly since those are Weimann levers. And modestly priced! Don't know how well the levers will work if you swap out the front brake calipers though. Also, did you try some non-abrasive dish scrub pads on the rims? I've had anodized rims that looked pretty sad that brightened up quite a bit with them. I've seen some postings here about the quill seatpost--they seem relatively rare and I note that one seems missing its upper parts, so that may be a problem. Finally, the helicomatic rear hubs have a reputation for premature wearing on the cone surface so you may want to research them--many posts on this forum. I have a Peugeot from that era that had such hubs and mine had some wear on the rear cones, but I cleaned, re-packed and they are performing okay for now....
Old 03-07-22, 05:56 AM
Soody

thanks yeah the seatpost has its bits i just took em off to get to the quill bolt
Old 03-07-22, 07:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
I'd look for a donor bike for parts.

Around here something like this.
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...452661586.html
Old 03-07-22, 07:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It uses the binderless seat lug without the set screw, so it should be 1985-1987. The OP is from New Zealand, so the bicycle likely came from Australia where they had a licensed assembler for Peugeot bicycles. There's a good probability that it was locally spec'd and marketed under a model name/number not used elsewhere. The component mix doesn't appear to match anything offered in America at the time. The serial number should at least allow us to determine the manufacturing date.
Old 03-07-22, 08:02 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
It's not just the Helicomatic freewheel that's "special", it's the hub. Lots of threads here in C&V about it; in short, your axle / cone swap idea won't work. Repacking is no different from a conventional freewheel/hub. Rehabbing both wheels vs. cold-setting to a 130mm 7-8 speed rear depends on whether you consider your wrench time "free". Also depends on how heavily you intend to use the bike; I would lean toward a conventional (whatever size/spacing) rear if it's going to be a DD.

As for the crank/BB, it'll (most likely) be the crank arm that's destroyed, not the spindle. Some have brought them back from the dead with a little choice filing of the flats inside the arm.

This looks older than 1987 to me, with the Simplex and Helico bits. I'm guessing early '80s, esp. since they "advertise" "12 vitesses". Posting the serial number MIGHT provide a clue.

If you're looking at brake upgrades, consider some "post-period-correct" aero levers, or even a set of modern levers.

Does the seat post exhibit any sign of rotating / pulling out? You may have loosened the wedge/expander just enough to allow it to move.
Old 03-07-22, 08:28 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Looks a lot like the Reynolds 501 version that I had in burgundy

This has Swiss threaded bb.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-07-22, 01:19 PM
Soody

thanks all, this is really helpful
Old 03-07-22, 01:29 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Soody - If your rear hub feels rough, it is likely toast. I had one and the DS race was done for with no replacement available. The issue is that this hub need care and feeding with the smaller bearing size.
P1000288 on Flickr
Old 03-07-22, 04:21 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Millstone
BB is probably standard.
I'd look at 1988 catalogues. Or there about.
By the late 1980s, I do believe Peugeot had switched to ISO BB threading, but my 1980 PKN-10 has Swiss.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-07-22, 04:52 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
There's one 1988 AUS brochure on bikeboompeugeot.com , scans are, er, sub-optimal. Graphic/lettering style is different. Your bike's graphics more closely match those in the UK '87 book, and indeed, the UK '87 Tristar featured a 6-speed Helicomatic.
Old 03-08-22, 12:12 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
I always found even clearly low end Peugeots quite charming. Nice graphics and iunno. This seems better than that though.
Hiya ,
I remember selling those when they were new . Would have been 1987 ,1988 Penny Farthing Cycles .
There were two levels of frame as I recall . One was full vitus 980 and the other was not .
The ones with the panto and chromed fork were the full Vitus .
I have this vague memory of Healing Industries in Christchurch? making them under license for Peugeot .
Maybe they just assembled them ?
The rear derailleur has a screw in the back side of drop out . You can get it out from the inside (does that make sense? )
DONT try to take the derailleur by winding through the hex hole on the front . DONT DONT !

The helicomatic hubs can be a bit(ahem) problematic .
If you need some cones let me know and I will have a dig in the cave for you .
MAy have some used bits you are welcome to .

Have fun with it .
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 03-08-22, 12:29 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts

Quill seat post can be a pain if stuck .
The end of the main body has a taper on it . Bolt goes through the sleeve on bottom into a wedge .
The end sleeve normally gets frozen in seat tube and the main body and wedge just spin around
I used a bit of threaded bar and a slide hammer last time I had one stuck . Brutal but it worked .

atax quill seat post
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 03-13-22, 07:16 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@Soody - If your rear hub feels rough, it is likely toast. I had one and the DS race was done for with no replacement available. The issue is that this hub need care and feeding with the smaller bearing size.
P1000288 on Flickr
Wow, that is the worse I've seen!!!

Old 03-13-22, 08:56 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Hiya ,
I remember selling those when they were new . Would have been 1987 ,1988 Penny Farthing Cycles .
There were two levels of frame as I recall . One was full vitus 980 and the other was not .
The ones with the panto and chromed fork were the full Vitus .
I have this vague memory of Healing Industries in Christchurch? making them under license for Peugeot .
Maybe they just assembled them ?
The rear derailleur has a screw in the back side of drop out . You can get it out from the inside (does that make sense? )
DONT try to take the derailleur by winding through the hex hole on the front . DONT DONT !

The helicomatic hubs can be a bit(ahem) problematic .
If you need some cones let me know and I will have a dig in the cave for you .
MAy have some used bits you are welcome to .

Have fun with it .
fantastic info thank you
still waiting to hear back from the guy to see what direction he wants to go with it
Old 03-14-22, 01:07 AM
Millstone

If not Vitus, then probably Reynolds 501.
Old 04-06-22, 11:05 PM
Soody

Progress
Stripped it and got some sort of french parts lined up:

Likes For Soody:
Old 04-06-22, 11:13 PM
Soody

Saga with the seatpost.
Got the wedge to drop down, but then, the post is stuck.
Soaked it (though I think this does nothing)
Tried muscling it with a junk saddle in the clamp, the clamp is plastic and shifts under force. I really don't want to break the clamp so stop.
Then try waterpump pliers with a huge lever over the post head. No success. I didn't try that hard because we're now at 'might break something in a bad way and junk the frame' territory.
I was going to try 1simplexnut's slide hammer method but i feel that also is liable to do damage.

Had a discussion and the owner says the seat height is right for him and he doesn't want to risk it. I've already cut a post out with a hacksaw blade this year which took about 5 hours so mixed feelings. I don't like being defeated by a seatpost but nice to have an excuse to stop.

Last edited by Soody; 04-06-22 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-06-22, 11:27 PM
Soody

Original bottom bracket came out but it's filthy/dry and badly pitted. Hoping it's std thread. Will replace with a cartridge unit.

I'm really glad I got the advice about unthreading the derailer derailleur from the back. The simplex derailleur doesn't actually thread into the hanger, it just has a recessed nut that passes through it. The dropout is also marked simplex, but it has a stop, and a regular shimano derailer threads into it fine. Was I just forcing that? I do have the park tap I could run through it.

I'd like to replace the simplex derailleur because it has slop in a few places, it has to be about to break and the cage is extremely short, so might not even do 28t.
I found this Acera derailer which has some nice french-style plastic.
Gonna try to keep the shifters though, they're kinda cool, how will their pull ratio work with shimano (or suntour, or campy)? Is that an issue at all?

Old 04-06-22, 11:41 PM
Soody

not sure how wrong/offensive this is

Old 04-07-22, 12:10 AM
Millstone

Looks fine. :-) And still French. That's a win-win.

I'd wager that the shimano RD threads are fine. My 1986/87 Peugeot had a 105 RD. Worked like a charm.

Seatpost: leave it if the owner doesnt mind.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.