Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Visit to the Atelier

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Visit to the Atelier

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-22, 04:44 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Replace the steerer with a taller English version. That CLB hanger is essentially the brazed on hanger to a serrated washer I had mentioned.
Old 05-17-22, 08:42 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Just realized that there is a great workaround for the short steerer. I do believe that there was a CLB cable hanger with integrated serrated washer.

Stole this pic from the interwebs so you know it happened.

eBay tells me someone in Portland sold one of those less than a month ago. If only I knew then what I know now....
Old 05-17-22, 08:49 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Here is another possibility, although you would probably have to pay gugie in pizza and beer to get it done. Step 1: Remove the fork. Step 2: Cut a little off the end of the steerer tube, chase the existing threads and extend/cut more threads to as long as you need. Step 3: Cut the fork at the midpoint (aerospace precision not required for this measurement). Step 4: Braze a plug into one of the recently-cut middle-of-the-fork ends. Step 5: Braze the other recently-cut end onto the plug such that the resulting plugged steerer tube is the amount longer you want it to be. Step 6: Reinstall the fork with the headset, spacers and brake hanger you need/want. Step 7: Give gugie his damn pizza and beer.

Ed Litton suggested and did exactly this me for so that I could use a fork from a ~1960 59cm Cinelli frame on a ~1965 64cm Cinelli frame (not the blue one you saw at Eroica CA; the silver one that runs Campy 10sp triple that gugie saw at Fauxrica last September). Well, Ed didn't have to modify the threads and I gave him cash money instead of pizza and beer, but otherwise it was this process. I turned out great. It adds a little weight, but you've seen me - at my size, a few extra ounces on a bike are seriously insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Oh, and if you want to add some extra height to the steerer tube to get the bars a touch higher, you can build that in to the calculations of how much you extend the tube. I did. Or should I say, I asked Ed to.
That might require more tribute than beer and pizza. Otherwise, that’s a variation of 5he grafting solution I’m trying to talk myself out of (though, not surprisingly, the crowd here seems to be against pragmatic solutions involving leaving well enough alone). Some kind of steerer modification like that really does seem like the Cadillac solution though.
Old 05-17-22, 10:57 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Here is another possibility, although you would probably have to pay gugie in pizza and beer to get it done. Step 1: Remove the fork. Step 2: Cut a little off the end of the steerer tube, chase the existing threads and extend/cut more threads to as long as you need. Step 3: Cut the fork at the midpoint (aerospace precision not required for this measurement). Step 4: Braze a plug into one of the recently-cut middle-of-the-fork ends. Step 5: Braze the other recently-cut end onto the plug such that the resulting plugged steerer tube is the amount longer you want it to be. Step 6: Reinstall the fork with the headset, spacers and brake hanger you need/want. Step 7: Give gugie his damn pizza and beer.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, more or less. One issue is that finding a metric steerer is damn difficult, but Andy and I discussed finding a donor french fork and cutting off the top bit. There's a few esoteric issues, such as getting the right OD on the sleeve (22.0) and drilling some small witness holes on the steerer bits to make sure there's full penetration. It's on the table.
Old 05-17-22, 11:00 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Narhay
Replace the steerer with a taller English version. That CLB hanger is essentially the brazed on hanger to a serrated washer I had mentioned.
I've done that several times in the past. The problem is it'll ruin the fork paint, which Andy is trying to preserve. This frame has a really nice patina without looking ratty.

Not sure how brazing the hanger to the serrated washer would help, the stack height increase is the same whether it's brazed on or not.
Old 05-17-22, 11:53 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I've done that several times in the past. The problem is it'll ruin the fork paint, which Andy is trying to preserve. This frame has a really nice patina without looking ratty.

Not sure how brazing the hanger to the serrated washer would help, the stack height increase is the same whether it's brazed on or not.
I meant to say cut the front hanger bit off its washer and braze it to the front serrated washer. I don't know about strength but it wouldn't add the extra washer height.
Old 05-17-22, 12:44 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Another approach, used back in the day = drill a countersunk hole through the handlebar stem at the appropriate angle to route the front brake cable down to the caliper.

If you countersink the hole you do not need to use a cable housing ferrule.

This photograph is borrowed from Cyclocross Magazine to illustrate the concept:

Last edited by cyclophilia; 05-17-22 at 12:45 PM. Reason: correct typographical error
Old 05-17-22, 01:25 PM
Andy_K 

I meant to say cut the front hanger bit off its washer and braze it to the front serrated washer. I don't know about strength but it wouldn't add the extra washer height.
Maybe if you cut a slot in the toothed washer to slip the hanger into and brazed it in place.... It's starting to feel a bit like a bodge.
Old 05-17-22, 01:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Oof, now I'm trusting that a butt-braze job will hold up when I grab the front brake on a curvy long downhill. No thanks!
Old 05-17-22, 01:49 PM
Andy_K 

I pulled the toothed washer to get a better measurement, and now I have a theory as to how the threads got broken. This thing just did not want to come out. It's got the French "flat" key, but it doesn't seem to fit the steerer properly. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that the flat portion of the steerer wasn't created by forcing this thing on. Also, the teeth on this piece are worn flat, probably from someone turning the bottom piece while this was stuck in place. I had to work it up the steerer bit-by-bit first using a steel pick and then a small screwdriver. I can easily imagine breaking the threads by using too much force as this got near the top. It doesn't slide back on, and the standard MAFAC hanger with the same flat key also doesn't fit.

The more I look at this headset, the less I like it. It just doesn't look right with the flange on the lug. Would the P3 be flush with the flange?

Old 05-17-22, 02:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Pull the fork and check the steerer diameter down below the threads. I'm wondering if Peugeot didn't accidentally use a few 1" steerers insead of 25mm
Old 05-17-22, 03:10 PM
Andy_K 

Pull the fork and check the steerer diameter down below the threads. I'm wondering if Peugeot didn't accidentally use a few 1" steerers insead of 25mm
That would require getting the remaining threaded piece of the headset off, which is looking like it may require a destructive method. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this piece simply knurled didn't consider what would happen when the threads are damaged.

It turns out, the locknut won't screw down all the way even with the spacer removed. The threads are just too munged up part way down, which I suppose might suggest an alternate theory as to how the threads broke. I can thread the lock nut part way on, but then it sticks. The upper race piece threads off easily until it hits this point, a few millimeters from the top, and then it stops. I've applied as much force as I can manage with my bare hands and a cloth for grip, and it just will not pass. Any suggestions? Should I use the lock nut and a long wrench to try to force the threads open? Maybe apply vice grips or a pipe wrench to the knurled piece that's stuck? I'd hate to have to cut wrench flats into the stuck piece.
Old 05-17-22, 03:59 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
Just realized that there is a great workaround for the short steerer. I do believe that there was a CLB cable hanger with integrated serrated washer.

Stole this pic from the interwebs so you know it happened.

Firstly, beautiful work on the dropout. Looks like it had always been there.

Second, they sort of look like the same width combined and separate...but could be deceiving.

The CLb item probably will kill Andy’s budget...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-17-22, 04:27 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
The CLb item probably will kill Andy’s budget...
The budget is pretty open for the PX-10. It's my wife's 25th anniversary gift to me. I'm just hoping to get it finished before our 26th anniversary. Even so, I would like to avoid spending $100 on a cable hanger if I can.
Old 05-17-22, 05:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andy_K
That would require getting the remaining threaded piece of the headset off, which is looking like it may require a destructive method. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this piece simply knurled didn't consider what would happen when the threads are damaged.

It turns out, the locknut won't screw down all the way even with the spacer removed. The threads are just too munged up part way down, which I suppose might suggest an alternate theory as to how the threads broke. I can thread the lock nut part way on, but then it sticks. The upper race piece threads off easily until it hits this point, a few millimeters from the top, and then it stops. I've applied as much force as I can manage with my bare hands and a cloth for grip, and it just will not pass. Any suggestions? Should I use the lock nut and a long wrench to try to force the threads open? Maybe apply vice grips or a pipe wrench to the knurled piece that's stuck? I'd hate to have to cut wrench flats into the stuck piece.
I've got one of these you can try.

Old 05-17-22, 06:55 PM
Andy_K 

I've got one of these you can try.

No need. Vice grips did the trick and don't seem to have left any marks. I had to open them as wide as they'd go, but I was just able to get them locked on.

The steerer is 25mm (plus a little extra where it's painted).
Old 05-18-22, 05:22 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

The budget is pretty open for the PX-10. It's my wife's 25th anniversary gift to me. I'm just hoping to get it finished before our 26th anniversary. Even so, I would like to avoid spending $100 on a cable hanger if I can.
Oops. I was thinking it was a clunker thing...But now that I say it out loud, made no sense that you brought a clunker to Gugie...

I think Bulgie's idea of shaving a bit off the faces might be the best bet. That said, at least you don't have to agonize over a shade of Celeste!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-18-22, 07:36 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
No need. Vice grips did the trick and don't seem to have left any marks. I had to open them as wide as they'd go, but I was just able to get them locked on.

The steerer is 25mm (plus a little extra where it's painted).
In order to make sure it goes back together cleanly, I have a thread file you could borrow. I’m *assuming* the file has the proper thread pitch which I understand can be problematic on old French bikes, nest-ce pas?
Old 05-18-22, 08:51 AM
Andy_K 

Oops. I was thinking it was a clunker thing...But now that I say it out loud, made no sense that you brought a clunker to Gugie...

I think Bulgie's idea of shaving a bit off the faces might be the best bet. That said, at least you don't have to agonize over a shade of Celeste!
Hey, just because it makes no sense doesn't mean I didn't do it. In fact, I did take this year's clunker to Gugie for bottle cage bosses -- two different frames in this thread.

And, yeah, I am already overthinking the steerer/headset problems as much as I did the shade of Celeste. I found an old Gitane frame on Craigslist locally that could provide a donor fork. The crown matches and it's white with the same chrome socks, but I'd need to do something to match the patina of the paint.
Old 05-18-22, 08:54 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
In order to make sure it goes back together cleanly, I have a thread file you could borrow. I’m *assuming* the file has the proper thread pitch which I understand can be problematic on old French bikes, nest-ce pas?
Yes, the threads on this should be 25x1. I'm hoping @gugie has the tap to chase the threads and possibly cut some new ones. If not and you have the tool for 25x1, I'll be in touch.
Old 05-18-22, 09:34 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Yes, the threads on this should be 25x1. I'm hoping @gugie has the tap to chase the threads and possibly cut some new ones. If not and you have the tool for 25x1, I'll be in touch.
No tap in this size, but I do have thread files as @RustyJames suggested. You probably just need to clean the threads, not cut new ones.

Pic of a thread file:
Old 05-18-22, 09:39 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Hey, just because it makes no sense doesn't mean I didn't do it. In fact, I did take this year's clunker to Gugie for bottle cage bosses -- two different frames in this thread.

And, yeah, I am already overthinking the steerer/headset problems as much as I did the shade of Celeste. I found an old Gitane frame on Craigslist locally that could provide a donor fork. The crown matches and it's white with the same chrome socks, but I'd need to do something to match the patina of the paint.
A little sandpaper, or in my case, a cluttered garage where I nearly cried when I banged my Mercian frame into Trixie Trek, the pristine powdercoated frame I got from Mad Honk. Nothing happened though. Patina made to order.

Old 05-18-22, 09:42 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
No tap in this size, but I do have thread files as @RustyJames suggested. You probably just need to clean the threads, not cut new ones.

Pic of a thread file:
Andy_K - I think you and gugie got it covered.
Old 05-18-22, 10:00 AM
Andy_K 

A little sandpaper, or in my case, a cluttered garage where I nearly cried when I banged my Mercian frame into Trixie Trek, the pristine powdercoated frame I got from Mad Honk. Nothing happened though. Patina made to order.
You underestimate my power of overthinking. I'm not just looking for wear and tear. I need the paint to have a slight yellow tinge to it.
Old 05-18-22, 10:51 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

You underestimate my power of overthinking. I'm not just looking for wear and tear. I need the paint to have a slight yellow tinge to it.
Yellow tinge Solution!

Note the neurotic but sweet dog with a spite bladder that can be rented and activated...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.