Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front wheel rubbing on tips of shoes when turning.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 01:33 PM
Colin G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe I have just never had this happen on any of my old road bikes, but does anyone have the problem of regularly rubbing the tips of their road shoes on the front tire?

I don't recall this happening on my Colnago. I bought a LeMond Washoe and now I rub my right foot constantly when pedaling while turning. Almost made me crash hard yesterday.

I am a small guy at 5' 8" with a size 9 shoe so I'm not a monster or anything. Cranks are 172.5mm Campy Super Record and I am using Specialized shoes with Look Keo cleats.

If on the bike and having my crank arms parallel to the ground, the tip of my shoe is past the tire.
Old 06-29-17, 01:36 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i assume you are talking about a walking pace. at a moving pace, there is minimal steering angle required to initiate and maintain a turn. its all about the lean. at a walking pace, just do the stutter-pedal. its not a fixed gear bike so it shouldnt be a concern
Old 06-29-17, 01:47 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 872 Posts
It's called "toe overlap". And yes, it's only a problem at very slow speeds.

I'm not sure there's much you can do about it.
Old 06-29-17, 01:50 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Called toe overlap. Not unusual on a more race oriented road bike. Avoid low speed turning with a horizontal pedal. All my road bikes have this but as long as I'm aware of it avoiding the issue is easy. Haven't crashed yet because of the overlap. I crash for other reasons. FYI I am the same size as you 5'8" size 9.
Likes For ddub:
Old 06-29-17, 01:50 PM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Smaller feet.
Likes For Square Wheels:
Old 06-29-17, 01:51 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
On bikes with a shorter wheelbase, this can be a common issue - particularly for larger riders (with larger feet).

My toes overlap the front wheel on one of my bikes. The only time contact is ever made is when I'm stopped and seated on the top tube, with my cranks horizontally oriented and one foot clipped in, and I do the dumb thing and mindlessly turn the bars.

This is tremendously annoying, because it puts a nice black scuff on my perfect white shoes, which I then have to endure for the rest of my ride until I can get home to clean with solvent.

Ride ruined.

Last edited by Succhia Ruota; 06-29-17 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 01:52 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Square Wheels
Smaller feet.
Just chop off the toes and get smaller shoes.

I think you could also slide the cleats up closer to the toes, so your feet are further back on the pedals, but this might make for a weird riding position.
Old 06-29-17, 01:56 PM
Colin G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, this occurs mainly at slower speeds. I really noticed it when going through these staggered gates on my city's cycle path. They have them at railway crossings so you don't just go cruising through without looking.

I have been without a road bike for almost a year and have been doing over 125 kilometers a week on a 26" wheeled BMX cruiser with no real toe overlap to speak of.

I guess I'm just used to riding that old cruiser. I have only had my LeMond for a couple weeks now and have been riding it almost every day so obviously I am not %100 used to riding a road bike again.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-29-17, 01:56 PM
msu2001la

Learning to make sharp, low-speed turning maneuvers with the cranks vertically instead of horizontally is a good way to get rid of toe overlap.

I've hit my toes on my tires during CX races a few times, where low-speed sharp turns are a little more common. I'm not sure I've ever noticed this on the road though.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-29-17, 01:59 PM
Colin G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just chop off the toes and get smaller shoes.

I think you could also slide the cleats up closer to the toes, so your feet are further back on the pedals, but this might make for a weird riding position.

Actually the cleats as far as they can go and the ball of my foot is right over the pedal axle. Pedals are Ritchey Echelon.

My shoes are about 5 years old and the fore/aft adjustment for cleats is not so great on them. I will be buying new shoes later in the year when they start to go on sale. I get a bit of hot foot with the Specialized and have never been %100 happy with them. I'll probably try Mavic shoes next.
Old 06-29-17, 02:04 PM
Colin G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learning to make sharp, low-speed turning maneuvers with the cranks vertically instead of horizontally is a good way to get rid of toe overlap.

On Yesterday's ride I made a conscious effort to do this. Toe rub only happened as I was riding up my front walk and have a sharp left hander to get into my back yard. I almost ate **** and fell over onto the lawn.

I have a habit of having my right pedal and crank arm horizontal with right food forward instead of vertical

All my days of BMX riding since I was a little tyke I guess. I have a habit of having cranks horizontal due to the nature of stand up riding on a BMX bike.

Even though I'm 45, I still love BMX.

Last edited by Colin G; 06-29-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 02:09 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I've got size 12s but a long wheelbase touring bike....Honestly only time i notice it is when track standing at lights....
Old 06-29-17, 02:17 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin G
I am a small guy at 5' 8" with a size 9 shoe so I'm not a monster or anything.
The smaller you are, the more toe overlap you're likely to deal with. It's because builders tend to not scale wheel size to the bike; huge people with huge feet may have their toes reaching farther forward of the cranks on the front of the stroke, but they'll also likely be riding a bigger frame that holds the front wheel axle much farther forward. Since the wheel usually isn't any bigger on the bigger bike, there's a lot more clearance.
Old 06-29-17, 02:30 PM
Colin G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The smaller you are, the more toe overlap you're likely to deal with. It's because builders tend to not scale wheel size to the bike; huge people with huge feet may have their toes reaching farther forward of the cranks on the front of the stroke, but they'll also likely be riding a bigger frame that holds the front wheel axle much farther forward. Since the wheel usually isn't any bigger on the bigger bike, there's a lot more clearance.

Makes sense. My old road bike was too large. It was a 56cm Colnago and never did I experience toe overlap. (That I can recall anyway)

My new LeMond is a 53cm and actually fits.
Old 06-29-17, 02:56 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
It's called "toe overlap". And yes, it's only a problem at very slow speeds.

This. Done.

Old 06-29-17, 03:16 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=toe+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 06-29-17, 06:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I can't imagine why this is such a problem for you. Just push your feet off the ground like a scooter and don't pedal in tight situations. Most people have overlap and never even realize it. Very few folks try to pedal with the wheel sharply turned. See my POLL thread from a while ago on this subject.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-29-17, 08:05 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get used to placing the foot that would impact the wheel out of the way when turning at slow speeds.
Old 06-30-17, 01:17 AM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of my bike also has serious toe-overlap (front centre only 563mm), and yesterday's ride was when I realized it could potentially be dangerous.
I was climbing a 22-26% gradient, maxed my gear on 34-28, just manage cadence of 54, about 8 km/h.
The road has many cracks filled with huge slippery rocks, it's a quiet village road so not many cars.
I was almost at the top, tried to avoid one huge crack by going the other side of the road (opposing traffic), then all of a sudden from the corner came a motorbike. I tried to steer back to my lane, risking slippery rocks, but the front wheel just hit my foot at the most perfect angle possible (3 o'clock position). Luckily the biker realized I was having a problem so he quickly slowed down until I managed to go around the crack with just a slight of steering possible.
Old 06-30-17, 01:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Focus on keeping your outside foot at 6 o'clock whenever you turn, no matter what speed. You need to unlearn the bmx habitat and start to ingrain a new roadie habit.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-30-17, 08:17 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I can't imagine why this is such a problem for you. Just push your feet off the ground like a scooter and don't pedal in tight situations. Most people have overlap and never even realize it. Very few folks try to pedal with the wheel sharply turned. See my POLL thread from a while ago on this subject.
It's hardly a 'road cycling' problem but when I ride around with my five year old (goofing off on our street, jumping curbs, circling around parked cars and such) I encounter toe overlap issues constantly on my Trek 660. I'm trying to follow a kid on a very maneuverable 20" wheel bike on a race-geometry 700c wheel bike (it was worse when he was on a 14" wheel bike). I have been getting better and better at recognizing when toe overlap will be an issue and positioning my feet accordingly, but it still happens, mostly on sharp right turns. My right leg is stronger than my left so if I'm going to put my cranks horizontal, my right foot will naturally be forward ready to push down. I don't want it slightly raised because then my left pedal is likely to hit the ground. The obvious solution is left foot forward on sharp right turns and vice versa but unlearning years of habit is tough.
Old 06-30-17, 08:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by joejack951
It's hardly a 'road cycling' problem but when I ride around with my five year old (goofing off on our street, jumping curbs, circling around parked cars and such) I encounter toe overlap issues constantly on my Trek 660. I'm trying to follow a kid on a very maneuverable 20" wheel bike on a race-geometry 700c wheel bike (it was worse when he was on a 14" wheel bike). I have been getting better and better at recognizing when toe overlap will be an issue and positioning my feet accordingly, but it still happens, mostly on sharp right turns. My right leg is stronger than my left so if I'm going to put my cranks horizontal, my right foot will naturally be forward ready to push down. I don't want it slightly raised because then my left pedal is likely to hit the ground. The obvious solution is left foot forward on sharp right turns and vice versa but unlearning years of habit is tough.
Did you get it backwards? If you turn hard right when going slowly, then the back of the wheel is pointing left. So having your right foot forward is, in fact, optimum. If you are going fast and countersteer left to turn right, yes you would quickly turn the wheel left and the back of it would be to the right, but so little and for so short a time that you would never interfere with it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 06-30-17, 09:04 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Did you get it backwards?
Yes. Brain fart. Left turns are the issue.
Old 06-30-17, 09:14 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by joejack951
Yes. Brain fart. Left turns are the issue.
I needed to be sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 06-30-17, 11:03 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

This suggestion is appropriate for the dandy-horse sub forum, but not for road cycling...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.