Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tire dust-leading source of environmental pfas contamination

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 07:16 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

I was watching an informational video advocating against artificial turf which is just another source of plastic toxicity in the environment.
https://vimeo.com/803691477
The expert mentioned that tire dust is the leading cause of pfas contamination in the environment. The EPA just set a threshold of 4 parts per trillion for pfas substances:
https://www.epa.gov/sdwa/questions-a...%200.004%20ppt

Are we being contaminated potentially by breathing in tire dust?
Old 05-25-23, 08:32 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Microplastics have infested everything down to the cellular level. I don't think we have a good way out of this mess in the near future.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 05-26-23, 05:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
4 ppt?!

The MINIMUM DETETION LIMIT is 500 ppt so run and hide.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-26-23, 05:28 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
And some are saying that EVs will make the problem worse, since they are a much heavier than conventional cars, therefore quicker tire wear.

https://jalopnik.com/tire-pollution-...oad-1849490346

Electric cars may have zero tailpipe emissions but they still emit noxious waste through their tires. Really, all cars shed pieces of spent rubber when they drive along roads, as rubber and other toxic compounds in tires are ground away.

Since EVs are heavier and they accelerate faster than ICE-powered cars, they chew up tires faster and shed more of these dirty particles, or tire emissions. But a London startup called the Tyre Collective is trying to clean up after rubber-burning EVs — and ICE-powered cars, too — with a device called the “box” that bolts on after the wheel. It’s basically a catch-can for tire emissions.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 05-26-23, 05:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The EPA limit was for drinking water. I have no idea whether this stuff gets airborne in any significant amount. This would be one component of many in road dust, which contains all sorts of stuff primarily from brake pads and solids coming out of tail pipes. Worth discussing, but really involved questions unlikely to affect your own behavior much.
Old 05-26-23, 06:04 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
I'm taking the tires off my bike and riding on the carbon rims.
Do you think this will affect cornering?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-26-23, 07:12 AM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I believe it was in 1969 that Mason Williams, in his book Mason Williams Reading Matter posed the question of 'what happens to all the worn off tire dust'.
Old 05-26-23, 08:16 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The EPA limit was for drinking water. I have no idea whether this stuff gets airborne in any significant amount.
That's never stopped you from pontificating before.
Old 05-26-23, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That's never stopped you from pontificating before.

Hey liar, I thought you had me on ignore. But then you reply to a post that wasn't aimed at you just to insult me just because you have a grudge.

I'm perfectly comfortable stating I don't know something, while you are perfectly comfortable making things up to make issues cycling-relevant. Nice try.

My only substantive point there was that the EPA standard didn't have much to do with the question being asked, but like I said in your thread, I think someone starting a thread about road dust in a cycling forum would make sense.
Got anything constructive to add to this discussion? Any data on pfas-contaminated dust becoming airborne? Didn't think so. You'd rather say in one thread that I'm not worth bothering with, then go out of your way in another thread to lamely insult me yet again.
Old 05-26-23, 12:33 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
The EPA limit was for drinking water. I have no idea whether this stuff gets airborne in any significant amount. This would be one component of many in road dust, which contains all sorts of stuff primarily from brake pads and solids coming out of tail pipes. Worth discussing, but really involved questions unlikely to affect your own behavior much.
Yup. One of the things I always notice is the smell of overheated brake pads from cars and RVs (not trucks, they know how to use their transmission for braking) as you come down long, steep passes. To be honest I lean on my bicycle brakes a lot myself. Do bike brake pads release nasty stuff?
Old 05-26-23, 12:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Yup. One of the things I always notice is the smell of overheated brake pads from cars and RVs (not trucks, they know how to use their transmission for braking) as you come down long, steep passes. To be honest I lean on my bicycle brakes a lot myself. Do bike brake pads release nasty stuff?

Seems doubtful as there's just so much less energy involved.
Old 05-26-23, 01:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
A great deal of microplastics are created by the current recycling practices. Less than 5% of plastics is ever recycled and there are good substitutes for 99% of it. The microplastics are found in over 75% of fish tested and in the human body the chemicals leach out and alter normal body functions as many of the chemicals are hormone mimickers.

The good news is the increasing levels of male sterility and so the problem of human caused environmental destruction may fix itself over time.
Old 05-26-23, 02:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I'm taking the tires off my bike and riding on the carbon rims.
Do you think this will affect cornering?
No. Because the bike simply won't. I tried taking a gentle corner on an aluminum rear rim once. Had to pull the ice tools out of the toolbox; not see since I lived in Ann Arbor. The tire came off completely and jammed in the seat stay while I was successfully making the bend and bleeding speed. With my very light ice grip on the bars, that didn't end well.

Edit: Good thing was that I added just relatively inert aluminum dust to the environment in that experiment. That and skin and blood; a feast for a few microbes.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-26-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 03:58 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I'm almost sure they do as bicycle brake pads do wear down (tires, too) which means the braking material is wearing off and going somewhere. Its not as much as automotive brakes or automotive tires but similar by proportional standards.
Old 05-26-23, 06:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Time to return to natural rubber from trees?
Old 05-27-23, 01:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by skidder
I'm almost sure they do as bicycle brake pads do wear down (tires, too) which means the braking material is wearing off and going somewhere. Its not as much as automotive brakes or automotive tires but similar by proportional standards.

They definitely wear, but "proportional" is a problematic word. Motor vehicles are both heavier and faster, and since the kinetic energy increases with the square of the velocity, that's a heck of a lot more friction on the motor vehicle pads.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-27-23, 02:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5786 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
Since this is a bike forum, the real question is whether this is a specificly unique issue for cyclists.

The answer is no. We're no worse off than any living, breathing or drinking animal.

For better or worse dust is ubiquitous, and it'd be hard to say which of its components is worse for anyone. However, here we are drifting from rubber tire dust, to micro-plastic pollution, and.....

Not that these aren't real concerns, but as a cyclist, I'm far more concerned about the living, breathing humans I share the road with.

I'm not a moderator, but politely suggest that we should try to stick to specific bike related issues, rather than drift off into environmental, or other issues that are more universal.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-05-23, 05:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
I was watching an informational video advocating against artificial turf which is just another source of plastic toxicity in the environment.
https://vimeo.com/803691477
The expert mentioned that tire dust is the leading cause of pfas contamination in the environment. The EPA just set a threshold of 4 parts per trillion for pfas substances:
https://www.epa.gov/sdwa/questions-a...%200.004%20ppt

Are we being contaminated potentially by breathing in tire dust?
I think you may have misinterpreted what was said in the video. I haven’t watched it but PFAS should not be coming from tires in any form. This article from the EPA says that PFAS wasn’t identified in the tire crumb used in artificial turf. It would be improbable that any PFAS would be used in tires.

Q. Does this tire crumb contain per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)?

The study did not specifically test for the presence of any PFAS target analytes. No PFAS chemical was identified in the non-targeted analyses (see Section 4.12).
Tire dust is the leading cause of microplastics but not PFAS.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-05-23, 06:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Time to return to natural rubber from trees?
Natural rubber from trees is already used in tires. It makes up about 19% of the total weight of the tire while synthetic rubber makes up about 24% or they are about equal in terms of rubber used in the tire. That’s for car and light truck tires. Heavy duty truck tires have 34% natural rubber/11% synthetic. Natural rubber provides tear and fatigue crack resistance while the synthetic rubber is used for the rolling resistance, traction, and wear characteristics.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-05-23, 06:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
What does this have to do with cycling? The nimrod driving a diesel pickup "rolling coal" on you is going to get you before his tire dust.

Old 06-05-23, 07:39 PM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings. When I heard that tire dust is the leading cause of microplastics and pfas contamination I was a little concerned on how it would affect human health, through breathing or other sources. Now that people more knowledgeable than myself have chimed in I'll have no qualms about hitting the roads again.
Old 06-08-23, 12:01 PM
Zara Sp00k

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The EPA limit was for drinking water. I have no idea whether this stuff gets airborne in any significant amount.
Microplastics have been found at high levels in wilderness areas far from any obvious nearby source, IOW, yes it becomes airborne and is distributed everywhere.
Old 06-08-23, 12:12 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Single use plastics are the primary source of microplastics and much can be generated from inefficient plastics products recycling. Only 5% of recyclable plastic is actually recycled into new products and the rest is burned or dumped. I do not buy anything that comes in a single use plastic container. It is better for my personal health and better for the environment.

Micro plastics from tires are a problem but a bigger one is the 99% of the tires end up in a landfill dump. We pay a "disposal fee" for each new tire for our vehicles but that money never goes toward recycling tires but instead ends up in our state's general fund. Twenty years ago there was a major tire recycling plant in my state but it was closed as it did not produce enough of a profit. Capitalism is what is killing the planet, when profits come first and people come second and the environment is not considered at all.
Old 06-12-23, 07:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
Microplastics have been found at high levels in wilderness areas far from any obvious nearby source, IOW, yes it becomes airborne and is distributed everywhere.
Isn't that likely more related to the burning of the stuff rather than tire dust and the like?

This really seems like a tail wagging the dog thread.
Old 06-12-23, 08:00 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I'll do the same. We can form a splinter group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.