Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cassette swap: will i need a new chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 06:05 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Bikes: 2 motos and a schwinn (road bikes more or less)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

going from a 12-26 to an 11-28. the chain only has about 350 miles on it. Will it need to be longer? or am i all set? Oh, both are 9 speed if that makes any difference.

THANKS!!

andy
Old 01-05-11, 06:11 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Probably you'll be OK. If it was my bike I'd gently shift into the big/big combination to be sure the derailleur has a bit more take up slack.
Old 01-05-11, 06:13 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How old/worn is the cassette? It's generally a good idea to replace chain with cassette or else the worn/stretched chain will prematurely wear the new cassette.
Old 01-05-11, 06:16 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chain and old cassette only have like 350 miles... no wear as far as i can see. sound ok?

andy
Old 01-05-11, 06:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenut2011
chain and old cassette only have like 350 miles... no wear as far as i can see. sound ok?

andy
Yeah your chain is probably fine but the length might not be. But put it on and check big-big for enough chain, and small-small for enough wrap to make sure the chain is sized OK... if it's borderline tight now, it might be too tight with the new cassette, and if it's borderline loose now... too loose.
Old 01-05-11, 06:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
chain and old cassette only have like 350 miles
the variable is cleanliness and frequent lubrication, 350 miles can do significant wear,on a dry, dirty chain.

don't be attached to chains, they should be replaced frequently
to keep from prematurely wearing down the rest of the, more costly, drivetrain ..
Old 01-05-11, 06:49 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
As long as the chain hasn't been through rough, dirty use it should be fine with the new cassette. 350 miles isn't that much if it was kept lubed.

Just check the chain length in the big-big and small-small combonations as noted.
Old 01-05-11, 06:49 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im really good about keeping the chain clean and lubed... I guess i was mainly concerned about it being too short with the bigger cassette... sounds like most likely it will work ok

andy
Old 01-05-11, 09:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5866 Post(s)
Liked 2,712 Times in 1,515 Posts
Why don't you just measure the chain instead of guessing. I suspect that it'll be OK, but you could measure and know for sure in less time that it'll take to get a bunch of meaningless opinions here.

If over 12" it's stretched less than 1/64" or so (eyeball 1/4 or the way to the 1/16" mark) go ahead and use it. if it's worn beyond that, switch it out for new, but save it and rotate it back into service when the new chain catches up, or passes it slightly. Thereafter adopt the two chain system leapfrogging them back and forth until both are stretched.

BTW- if you have noticeable stretch after only 350 miles, you need to rethink how you lube and maintain your chains, because your system isn't serving you well.

Note, 2 extra teeth will need 1/2" more chain, so if your chain was measured super close for the 26, then it may be too short for the 28. Then again this is also something you could measure rather than guess.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-05-11, 09:08 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why don't you just measure the chain instead of guessing. I suspect that it'll be OK, but you could measure and know for sure in less time that it'll take to get a bunch of meaningless opinions here.

If over 12" it's stretched less than 1/64" or so (eyeball 1/4 or the way to the 1/16" mark) go ahead and use it. if it's worn beyond that, switch it out for new, but save it and rotate it back into service when the new chain catches up, or passes it slightly. Thereafter adopt the two chain system leapfrogging them back and forth until both are stretched.

BTW- if you have noticeable stretch after only 350 miles, you need to rethink how you lube and maintain your chains, because your system isn't serving you well.
Great post, very helpful. I'm pretty good at measuring...20+ year carpenter... I will give it a whirl.

I guess what i was trying to get at in the first place before all these posts about chain wear, was whether or not the 2 extra teeth on the cassette would require me to buy a LONGER chain... I guess i wasnt to clear on that.

thats mainly what i wanted to know...

Thanks to everyone for your assistance

Cheers
andy
Old 01-05-11, 09:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5866 Post(s)
Liked 2,712 Times in 1,515 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenut2011
I guess what i was trying to get at in the first place before all these posts about chain wear, was whether or not the 2 extra teeth on the cassette would require me to buy a LONGER chain... I guess i wasnt to clear on that.

thats mainly what i wanted to know...

Thanks to everyone for your assistance

Cheers
andy
The latter part of my post covered that. 2 extra teeth on a cassette call for 1/2" more chain, It's easy enough to check on the existing cassette. shift to the bib/big combination, put a ruler against the lower loop and see if you can pull 1/2" of chain forward (make sure the crank can't turn) out of the RD cage.

If it looks OK, switch cassettes, but confirm that the chain is long enough by going to big/big and double checking that the RD isn't pulled to it's limit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-05-11, 09:24 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The latter part of my post covered that. 2 extra teeth on a cassette call for 1/2" more chain, It's easy enough to check on the existing cassette. shift to the bib/big combination, put a ruler against the lower loop and see if you can pull 1/2" of chain forward (make sure the crank can't turn) out of the RD cage.

If it looks OK, switch cassettes, but confirm that the chain is long enough by going to big/big and double checking that the RD isn't pulled to it's limit.
Awesome!! Just the info i was looking for!! Will Do

Thanks so much!!!

andy
Old 01-10-11, 05:14 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone that helped out with my Q. The new cassette arrived today, and i am happy to report that i swapped it out without a single hitch. shifts perfect, didnt even have to adjust the RD... and also, the chain is still long enough and has slack on the largest rings.

Loving the new setup and Thanks again!!

Cheers!!
andy