Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Spouses

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 07:30 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 3,825 Times in 672 Posts
Married for 39 years, my wife is a casual rider at best.
She currently rides an E-Bike and enjoys short rides occasionally with me but more so with her girl friends.
They have this little 'bike gang' and all the gals have E-bikes that they've named and they like to ride them to the local park to play tennis or pickleball.
Our turnaround at Fairholme C.G. by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 01-26-24 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For northbend:
Old 01-29-24, 01:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,963 Times in 1,401 Posts
Ah, photos. Good idea. This is my fave, us on a pass climb, coming back from Leavenworth up 97. We took the Old Blewett Pass road over the top..

and heading out for a group ride on a typical PNW winter day - in graupel. We actually had fun! It didn't stick, too warm.
Old 02-20-24, 04:49 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
My wife and I ride together 6 days a week and she can stay in my draft unless I really push, but she’s good for 20mph if she stays close on fairly flat roads/trails.
I bought her a Time Alpe D’Huez for Christmas and it made a difference
Likes For Mmassey338:
Old 02-20-24, 08:36 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Met spouse/stoker in 1978 when we both biked to work at the same hospital in Indiana. I was a nurse and she a laboratory technologist. Married a few months after meeting. Still together and still riding bikes together. Took up tandem riding in 2000. Still doing that but riding single bikes together more last few years - she on e-assist Trek bike and me on recumbent. She told me after our ride today that she had the e-assist off for about half the ride to get a better workout! I did persuade her to become a recumbent tandem stoker in 2010. Most of our tandem riding these days is on tandem club rides or events like Midwest Tandem Rally.

Pic at Midwest Tandem Rally 2023, Fort Wayne Indiana. Route included stop at Sweetwater music gear headquarters, where I bought some guitar strings.

Today on an 18 mile local ride together. Took pictures of cement truck to show young grandson who loves vehicles, trucks and construction equipment especially.

Old 02-21-24, 10:38 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 266 Posts
We ride together frequently and we also ride a tandem in complete harmony. At one time she had accumulated around 17-18 bikes that were mostly vintage. Colnagos, Pinarellos, DeRosa, she really has an eye for nice bikes.
Much of that collection is gone as she came to the obvious conclusion that she could not ride them all. Now her vintage bikes are limited to a near-new condition 84’(?) Wilier Triestina in the gold chromovelato finish completely original and a reproduction Team Schwinn Wheaties built on a period correct Paramount frame.
As wives and bikes go, I’m living the dream.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-21-24, 10:50 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 196 Posts
Boy meets girl. Boy buys bike. Boy gets girl,
50+ years later, they're still riding,
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 05-12-24, 12:18 PM
Alpintourer 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
49 years riding together.
Went recumbent trike 20 years ago
Went tandem recumbent trike 15 years ago.
Old 05-12-24, 02:22 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
My wife had her second knee replacement last fall and is just now starting to feel chipper. She gave her really nice mtn bike to our niece so if she gets back to riding it will be electric. She's currently my support team for traveling to gravel events - first one coming up in a week. We started riding together in HS, bought our first 10 spds in college, then a tandem when we were first married (lasted one summer, not our thing), then really nice road bikes, years later towpath bikes to ride with our kids, then mtn. bikes mostly because of big tires and dropper post. 50th anniversary coming up the end of the month. In our 50's she worked a lot and I worked and rode a lot. Now, in our 70's, we enjoy traveling and hopefully doing a bit of riding.
Likes For Terex:
Old 05-13-24, 01:16 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
50 years together, but only riding seriously together - on a tandem - since '07. Getting there was a long and interesting process, at least to us. I'll talk a little about it as it might be of interest to others.

SNIP

I'd been doing Sunday group rides with a fun group for about 10 years by then, so I suggested that we buy a tandem and then both ride with the group. She said, "I can't keep up with you." I replied, "On the back of my bike you can." After a couple years of doing weekday rides on the tandem, we did our first group ride and she was hooked. So that's how we coped with being two different people who both liked the same thing, particularly being together.
That is an awesome story! Good for both of you!
Old 05-13-24, 01:22 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
while I have only been with my wife for ~35 years she was only an occasional rec bike rider. she however has put about half a million miles on the back of my motorcycles with me..rarely complaining and has spent literally 100's of hours sitting next to me in a jeep doing some insane trails and sleeping on the ground in freezing weather....with nary a complaint....she is a keeper.
When I met my current girlfriend, riding on the back of a sport touring bike was a "must have". So, on our first ride, we are an a curvy country road and she's trying to tell me something. After a couple of: "What, I can't hear yous..." I said: are you asking me to go faster? She said "yes" and now frequently asks me to go faster (I'm not a slow rider having spent some time on the racetrack, but I'm really cautious with her on board). Definitely a keeper.

BTW - to keep it bicycle related, we recently upgraded to a new (to us) tandem from my old one and are going on a tour of Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyons next week!

Tandem bought in '95 to ride with kids.

Tandem in 2023 on a Christmas ride with GF

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-13-24 at 01:38 AM.
Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 05-13-24, 06:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 751 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
while I have only been with my wife for ~35 years she was only an occasional rec bike rider. she however has put about half a million miles on the back of my motorcycles with me..rarely complaining and has spent literally 100's of hours sitting next to me in a jeep doing some insane trails and sleeping on the ground in freezing weather....with nary a complaint....she is a keeper.
My PIL (Partner in Life) had never been on a motorcycle until she met me. Then I started taking her for short rides on my Ducati. It went so well that she and I threw some money together and bought a Triumph Sprint RS and did some trips out of CT to VT and ME and even to a BMW National Rally in Ohio. She no longer rides because we spend so much time cycling. My moto adventures are limited to around town and once or twice a year a 3-day weekend in New England or upstate NY. And, at 76 I sold my last Ducati (there have been 6 over the past 26 yrs) and bought a new Triumph Street Triple. She and I have been cycling together since we met which is about 20 yrs. It's a great partnership.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-13-24, 09:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I wish. Having riding in common would be a wonderful gift. Not that I'm looking for another spouse or anything, but she's just not interested in cycling. She owns a bike and for a few years, she rode it a bit, but she hasn't touched it in maybe 5 years, and I'm not going to push.

She's very tolerant of my cycling obsession, but on some level, she just doesn't get it. She prefers gardening and walking. I help with the gardening and we frequently take walks together after dinner.

Were she a cyclist, we'd be more in sync for planning vacations.

It's also an issue when we talk about where we will live after retirement. She wants to be in a city, I want to be in a place that's good for riding. With other constraints, that narrows the choices. considerably.
Redmond, WA
Old 05-13-24, 10:28 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Redmond, WA
Retirement in the Seattle area? Interesting thought. My wife and I met in Seattle, back in the late 1980s. At the time, I probably would have considered no better place to live than some of our favorite Seattle neighborhoods - Green Lake, for example. But Seattle has changed.
Old 05-13-24, 07:20 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,026 Times in 576 Posts
My SO and I met skiing, and that and hiking are the physical activities we share. Long ago, she rode bikes with me ... even went for a short tour or two. But the cycling bug didn't bite her the way it bit me.

I would say that she "tolerates" my bike obsession, but it is more than that. I used to feel guilty when I would leave for an entire Saturday to ride with my friends, leaving her at home. But no more. On the rare weekend Saturday I am not riding and staying home, I think I am more in the way than anything else. She needs her alone time in the home too, and that is what she uses Saturdays for. And it is nice to have a weekend day only with friends.

Honestly, it's all OK with me. It is one of those things that long term couples do ... adapt to one another.

Old 05-13-24, 09:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Retirement in the Seattle area? Interesting thought. My wife and I met in Seattle, back in the late 1980s. At the time, I probably would have considered no better place to live than some of our favorite Seattle neighborhoods - Green Lake, for example. But Seattle has changed.
And so has Redmond, once the "Bicycle Capital of the Northwest." Now it's also the tech capital.
https://patch.com/washington/redmond...ital-northwest
I have about 150 road cycling routes all originating in a particular parking lot in downtown Redmond. Redmond Cycling Club puts on the famous RAMROD, 154 miles at 9000', which I've ridden many times. It's worth a visit. The other big attraction of course is the Cascade Mountains. My wife and I hiked our legs off up there today and rode our tandem in a group ride yesterday of which I'm the organizer, even though I live in Everett. We drive down to Redmond and sometimes ride back up to within a couple miles of our house, then ride back down, have a beer, and drive home. Because Redmond really is a great place to ride out of.
Old 05-13-24, 09:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,969 Posts
Bring your checkbook if you want to retire here. Mucho dinero required.

Old 05-14-24, 09:09 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 423 Posts
My wife doesn’t go with me on longer rides, but she does go on shorter rides with me and our daughter. She’s a career woman with a rather serious position in finance, and is quite busy. My work is not so demanding, and my schedule is flexible enough to be able to fit it around my riding, and not vice versa. Our daughter (who is 9) is becoming an excellent cyclist, and we hope to do some longer rides in the summer.