Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Corona de Mar - Fernleaf Avenue

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 08:04 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

Daily Pilot Article
https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...uncil-approval

The residents of Fernleaf Avenue in Corona del Mar, between Seaview Avenue and Ocean Boulevard, met with city staff in January to discuss the possibility of making the street one-way. (Don Leach / Staff Photographer)

BY LILLY NGUYENSTAFF WRITER

APRIL 14, 2022 5:32 PM PT

Commuters who use Fernleaf Avenue to travel from Ocean Boulevard north to Seaview Avenue will need to find another way as the Newport Beach City Council Tuesday voted unanimously to make Fernleaf a one-way southbound street for a trial period of six months.

Residents petitioned city staff in January to give a one-way designation to their block, citing concerns about traffic confrontations, congestion, damage to parked vehicles and delayed emergency responses, according to a presentation given Tuesday by city traffic engineer Antony Brine.

Residents from 14 of the 18 addresses located on the block joined the petition.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 04-16-22, 10:13 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I had to look that one up on Google Maps. It doesn't look like it would affect bicycle traffic as most bicycles are riding through CdM on PCH . . . with the exception of cruiser bikers going to the beach, and I wouldn't expect the NBPD to prioritize bicycle enforcement in that area. More of an auto/truck traffic issue.
Old 04-18-22, 09:03 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
When I lived in CDM I always rode up Fernleaf on PX10...45t in front, 21t in back... that was my lowest gear. I had to stand on it.... and you didn't dare stop the bike, or let a car try to pass.
If they make it one way..... I hope it's the uphill direction.
I liked Gina's Pizza in the Albertson's shopping center on PCH... but I don't think it's Albertson's anymore.
Old 04-19-22, 05:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by trailangel
When I lived in CDM I always rode up Fernleaf on PX10...45t in front, 21t in back... that was my lowest gear. I had to stand on it.... and you didn't dare stop the bike, or let a car try to pass.
If they make it one way..... I hope it's the uphill direction.
I liked Gina's Pizza in the Albertson's shopping center on PCH... but I don't think it's Albertson's anymore.
Gina's Pizza - I see the thin pizza. But I'm thinking East Coast or Chicago style. I mean not the Chicago deep dish, but even older when deep dish wasn't even created. Thin crust.

Now, the "one thing" about Italian is the sausage, and not the pepperoni.

How's the Italian sausage? Does it have fennel seeds in the sausage? I mean the roasted and crushed seeds.
Old 04-19-22, 08:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Going north on PCH I would cut-off and go out to Newport Beach and then cross to Balboa Island on the ferry, continue on Bayside, ride up Fernleaf, ride around to Little Corona, and then pickup PCH going south and continue on to Laguna. Would miss some traffic and was a nice break in the ride.
I don't know about the fennel seeds.. but Gina's always had a good salad. Haven't been there for years.
Old 04-24-22, 05:17 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by trailangel
Going north on PCH I would cut-off and go out to Newport Beach and then cross to Balboa Island on the ferry, continue on Bayside, ride up Fernleaf, ride around to Little Corona, and then pickup PCH going south and continue on to Laguna. Would miss some traffic and was a nice break in the ride.
I don't know about the fennel seeds.. but Gina's always had a good salad. Haven't been there for years.
Very few Italian pizzas out there in Southern California. They all claim to be, but there is a big misconnect.

If you ever go to Manhattan, near New York University, on Carmine Street, there's a "Joe's Pizza". Students would go there to get a slice, right from the window. Try that one, not the cheese pizza, but the sausage pizza.

Here in the O.C. I tried Sabatino's in Lido Isle, Newport Beach. The guy is from Chicago and he used his mom's recipe. The sausage is close and he does use fennel. I met him recently; he's getting old and the restaurant just isn't what it used to be. Maybe because of the Pandemic.

But if you go to Sabatino's the customers are the same. There are plenty of restaurants in Newport Beach, but this one? It's in a private little place, not where you would want to do a restaurant. I think that's the attraction for the hoi polloi.
Old 04-28-22, 02:23 PM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
CDM Fernleaf Ave Traffic Direction Change

Fernleaf Ave between Bayside Dr and the first street south (past the crest of the hill = Seaview Ave.) is currently two way and per the news article will remain as such. Bicycle traffic southbound is currently instructed by a posted sign to not ride up the hill (southbound) but instead walk bicycles up the hill on the opposite sidewalk.

The proposed traffic direction change makes the traffic past the crest of the hill become one way, southbound between Seaview Ave and Ocean Blvd.

Fernleaf Ave didn't always have the prohibition against bicycling up the hill (southbound) on the street. In early 2000s, I used to see the sign prohibiting uphill (southbound) riding appear and disappear. But the sign is a permanent fixture now.

When riding south thru CDM, I avoid traffic congestion on PCH by riding Bayside Drive-Marguerite Ave-Ocean Blvd-Poppy St. When returning north, I take Poppy St- 5th Ave. I rejoin PCH adjacent to the Chevron station just before MacArthur Blvd. Getting past the MacArthur turnoff requires good timing and attention; thankfully most drivers have been considerate.

I always use daytime running lights, too. I think the lights have improved my visibility in traffic and thus my safety.
Likes For Andrew_G:
Old 05-27-22, 01:52 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
Fernleaf Ave between Bayside Dr and the first street south (past the crest of the hill = Seaview Ave.) is currently two way and per the news article will remain as such. Bicycle traffic southbound is currently instructed by a posted sign to not ride up the hill (southbound) but instead walk bicycles up the hill on the opposite sidewalk.

Fernleaf Ave didn't always have the prohibition against bicycling up the hill (southbound) on the street. In early 2000s, I used to see the sign prohibiting uphill (southbound) riding appear and disappear. But the sign is a permanent fixture now.
Bummer about not going uphill--that was a favorite hill sprint for my group back in the day. I haven't detoured off PCH in years, so I didn't know about it.