Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid 90's Italian leading edge C.F. C4 Air One

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 07:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 1,780 Posts

Appears I never shared a full set of pictures for the C4 Air One I picked up from a local seller last summer. It's sort of the Italian version of the original Kestrel bikes. Not sure which company was first off the top of my head.

This was in good shape when I got it, had just been unused for awhile. Basic degrease and service was all I did. Balky rear shifting at first but sorted out with another round of degreasing the drive train. Initial impressions were fairly fast and comfortable yet lacking a lively feel. When I rode it recently it was painful. The stiff frame is not made for an old geezer riding heavy and slow on the saddle as he recovers from a knee replacement.

How I picked it up.

Hardly any change, my pedals and some bottle cages not shown here.

Nice stem!

Different take on a seatpost clamp

Not lot of room for large tires but totally to spec for the era.

Beefy bonded rear dropouts.

Old 06-21-23, 07:23 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

C4... So that's right C.F. bikes have a rep for "exploding" ! LOL!

Campagnolo Goodness

Beefy BB area

Internal cables

One piece design
Old 06-21-23, 07:24 AM
jamesdak 

Old 06-21-23, 07:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
I am curious how does it compare to your former trek OCLV??? Is it a more comfy or a more harsh ride ?
Old 06-21-23, 08:10 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by georges1
I am curious how does it compare to your former trek OCLV??? Is it a more comfy or a more harsh ride ?
Well I can say right now that this one and the Trek 5200 I have were uncomfortable on their recent rides where I was moving slow. The Trek Y-Foil I took out Monday was comfortable and the Colnago C40 was freaking out of the world in comfort and great feeling in every aspect of the ride. Hmmmm....maybe I should take the Calfee out today to see how it compares?

I really can't compare to my old Madone 5.9. It's been gone too long and was compared against vintage steel when I decided to let it go.
Old 06-21-23, 08:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,232 Posts
When I rode a bunch of carbon frames in the mid 90's, looking to buy - I found that the tube and bonded lug bikes had a better 'ride feel' than any frame with the 'bag and vacuum' manufacturing. [how to spell monoquote?]. Aegis was the heaviest and dead feeling. Trek OCLV was second worst. Kestrel only a bit better. The tube and glue Treks/Spec were whippy. My favorites were Calfee and Look. Did not ride a Colnago or Time as they were waaay beyond my budget.

As always @jamesdak , your desire to ride them all shines thru so beautifully. Lovely bike.

late edit: Not trying to slam anyone's bicycle. Some liked what I disliked. And all has changed since then.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-21-23 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-21-23, 11:22 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Some of the worst carbon bikes in terms of comfort for me that I have ridden were the Spécialized Roubaix, Storck Scenario Pro and BH Ultra light.
Old 06-21-23, 12:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
My Kestrel 4000 also seems to have a less than inspiring ride quality, and the steering feels weird when using vintage aero rims for unknown reasons.

But I like the Kestrel for the same reason that I like this one, (I feel like asking if it's for sale!).
Likes For dddd:
Old 06-21-23, 04:09 PM
jamesdak 

Well, I was curious today about steel vs C.F. comfort.....again. So, instead of the Calfee I took out the Coppi with it's oversized tubes, low slung seat stays and all the other aspects of it that make is seem like it should be very stiff and unforgiving.
Nope!! Smooth, fast, and comfortable. I took it easy for the first nine miles then decided to see if I could push it over the 18 mph avg like the C40 did. Had a good run going with two miles left, sitting at 17.8 for the average and the legs feeling strong. Then BAM, afternoon headwinds smacked me in the face. Over the final two miles they just grew stronger and stronger until I was doing about 12 mph as I turned into the house.

This was all the fault of Garmin by the way. My not even 1 year old Varia radar/light decided it just didn't want to turn on and the Edge 530 was showing a critical battery error for it despite the Varia being fully charged. Spent 15 minutes messing around online looking for a solution. If that slowed me down getting out I would have made it home right before the winds kicked in.

I don't know why I keep buying Garmin crap. I've got around 10 speed or cadence sensors of theirs that died with little use also. No one sells quality anymore, it's all consumable and yes I"m an old geezer shouting at the clouds.
Old 06-22-23, 04:00 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
there were a few cfk pioneers in the 1990ies doing monocoques - C4, Kestrel, Corima and possibly a few more. These frames allowed the owner to be at the cutting edge of an up-and-coming exciting new technological development, and without suffering from any advantage whatsoever, be it weight, durability or anything else, over a lugged steel frame. Of course no benefit comes without a downside so heavy users may have experienced creaky noises or the occasional loose bb shell.

As for the comfort, as everyone knows, an oversized 7020 Alloy like my 1998 Principia RSL (think Klein, but handwelded in Denmark, presumably by pretty blonde welders) rides much stiffer than my lugged columbus SL Mike Appel, at least until i swap the saddles around.

Last edited by martl; 06-22-23 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 03:31 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by martl
there were a few cfk pioneers in the 1990ies doing monocoques - C4, Kestrel, Corima and possibly a few more.
Oh, the Corima Puma wasn't it? I forgot about those.
Old 06-28-23, 05:57 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Oh, the Corima Puma wasn't it? I forgot about those.
i found a "Tour" special form 1992(?) giving a market overview of bikes/frames. There were in fact a few CFK monocoques available:

Kestrel of course

a prototype by Fraunhofer - if i'm not completely mistaken, the people behind this went od to form Spin of Spin Gato/Intro fame

what would become the Carbonsports Total Eclipse was marketed as "Exclusive bike"

The Checker Pig CPX R8

C4

Corima

and Lotus

A prototype by Cratoni

Last edited by martl; 06-29-23 at 03:49 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 06-28-23, 06:11 AM
jamesdak 

Wow, so awesome. I should try to find one of each!
Old 06-28-23, 06:57 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wow, so awesome. I should try to find one of each!
i'll take one of those Lotus thank you very much

you can start with that

Likes For martl:
Old 06-28-23, 11:52 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
jamesdak , really cool C4 bike!!
I was waiting if the list of similars escalates to one of my personal favs in this league, Andrea Cinelli's Cinetica Giotto, but if not, I'll post that. This became the "magic unicorn" for me, after never hearing about it, just casually bumping into a sframe for acceptable (but still no cheap) money during staring at ads. Of course my hesitation ended up in a call with the answer "the dude who bought it, picked up an hour ago.
"
There is no exact date mentioned in most sources, but in some articles they say in '86 Andrea, son of Cino decided to build own bikes as he was serious enough, he looked up the - then - one of the most knowledgeable company dealing with CF and aero, Ferrari. Oddly same year when both Kestrel and C4 had the same idea with really similar bikes. (I thought for long years, that C4 is some form of continuation of Andrea's project after it bite the dust, but no. Against all similarities, they independently looked similar. ) Ultimately the story ended not even because the bikes themselves broke (but according to stories, there was no shortage in those either) but the molds were not as durable as they planned which quickly turned the whole circus into a financial disaster. A notable feature is the cockpit, which is often can be found on eBay, and a few years ago they were not even in the horror price range. Stem with adjustable length, and bar with adjustable width.
2 pieces of Tandem pistas were built as well.
Image source: https://premium-cycling.com/

Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-28-23, 05:19 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
i found a "Tour" special form 1992(?) giving a market overview of bikes/frames.

I think that can't be any older than 1993. Wasn't that the year that Germany changed to 5 digit postal codes?
Old 06-29-23, 03:46 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by Choke
I think that can't be any older than 1993. Wasn't that the year that Germany changed to 5 digit postal codes?
you're correct. Fünf ist Trümpf happened 1993 an in fact this special edition Tour dates from 1995! - my bad!
Old 06-29-23, 04:04 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
i found a "Tour" special form 1992(?) giving a market overview of bikes/frames. There were in fact a few CFK monocoques available:

Corima

Did Corima make that Concorde Razorblade? I think the second generation Razorblade was made by Ciocc, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-29-23, 05:28 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
Did Corima make that Concorde Razorblade? I think the second generation Razorblade was made by Ciocc, but I could be wrong.
If you mean, does that article/list have the Razorblade as a Corima, it doesnt; the list is alphabetical and the Corima section contains just one bike. The Razorblade is listed as Concorde.
If you mean was Corima the OEM for what was sold as Concorde Razorblade - i have no idea. If that model was offered by different brands, it may have been third party produced (Many of those were, as a matter of fact)?
Doubt it was Corima because they sold under their own brand, and the Concorde is not a monocoque,
Old 06-29-23, 06:58 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Checker Pig? I've had a snowboard built by them. Wasnt too bad, even :-)
Although I am/were more of a skier...
Old 06-29-23, 07:12 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by Millstone
Checker Pig? I've had a snowboard built by them. Wasnt too bad, even :-)
Although I am/were more of a skier...
i always thought that name was a rather sad attempt by a german company to come up with a cool american sounding brand name.. Never thought they would have sold internationally
Old 06-29-23, 10:04 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
i'll take one of those Lotus thank you very much

you can start with that
interesting that the newspaper simply mirrored the image most likely to show the bike left-to-right, not to risk the mandatory "why the NDS pic?" question