Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cannondale ID help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cannondale ID help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 10:48 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Cannondale ID help

This Cannondale was re-imported from Stockholm Sweden, the frameset does not match the configuration of a 2.8 frame as far as I can tell from available catalogs. Any Ideas?

This Cannondale 2.8 R???, Date code EJ (1993, October), Most closely matches the R800 in the 1994 catalog with regards to paint color and decal style and color. No model identification decal on frame (not removed just not there)
Front derailleur mount tab not there no drillings to indicate it ever was there.

The fork is believed to be a Sub One (the fork weighs one pound on a Park scale), The headset is a standard one inch threaded headset, the headtube is machined for a standard one inch headset, the fork stem is not modified. The Frame has the factory finnish. Catalog data 1993 states 1.25 headset???

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

ID on fork stem

Sub One fork dropouts.

Serial Numbers

Thank You: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 08-12-23 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-13-23, 03:32 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
For the first 10 years or so of production, the same frame was used from the cheapest to the most expensive model for a given frame geometry (e.g., racing frames, touring frames, etc.), with the model designations corresponding to the component groups the bikes were equipped with.

Given that there's no model name shown, it was probably either provided as a warranty replacement or sold in a trade-in deal. (On and off for several years, Cannondale would offer to sell you a frameset at a discount if you traded in a frame.)

I wish now that, back when I worked in a Cannondale dealership, I had asked our sales rep why they offered the trade-in deal. Maybe they had tended to overestimate how many frames would be needed for warranty replacement, or maybe they just preferred to avoid laying off the workers building the frames and so kept their production lines going even during periods of slack demand.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-13-23, 01:54 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
For the first 10 years or so of production, the same frame was used from the cheapest to the most expensive model for a given frame geometry (e.g., racing frames, touring frames, etc.), with the model designations corresponding to the component groups the bikes were equipped with.

Given that there's no model name shown, it was probably either provided as a warranty replacement or sold in a trade-in deal. (On and off for several years, Cannondale would offer to sell you a frameset at a discount if you traded in a frame.)

I wish now that, back when I worked in a Cannondale dealership, I had asked our sales rep why they offered the trade-in deal. Maybe they had tended to overestimate how many frames would be needed for warranty replacement, or maybe they just preferred to avoid laying off the workers building the frames and so kept their production lines going even during periods of slack demand.

Thank you!!! Warranty replacement or "off the peg" would explain a lot, like the one inch headset, for someone looking to just transfer his kit over that would be an advantage. The 1" headset was the reason I bought this frame it simplifies the build as I don't have to deal with that era of dead end standards.
I was looking for a 53cm 2.8 frame for a while, although a bit rough I am happy I bought it.

Thanks Again: Mike
Old 08-13-23, 02:50 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Thank for the info here folks! I was always wondering my CAAD4 is just CAAD4 but without any designation, although I understood that those are referring to the OEM gruppo. My guess was that maybe Cannondale offered these as frameset only as well on this side of the pond assuming that maybe (no one understands why) those cheeky b@stard customers might want something other than gruppo from the fishing equipment manufacturers.... God knows what... how about the corkscrew guys' stuff? Warranty replacement is easier to imagine.
Old 08-14-23, 12:14 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Yes, definitely a 1993 2.8 frame.

Cannondales’ practice at the time was to use the same frame on a whole series of bikes; the model number refers to the wheels/components and finishing kit. So all 2.8 bikes would have the same frame, from R-500 to R-2000, or what have you.

They also sold a lot of frames as bare frame sets; these frames did not receive R-### model badges, because they were never completed bikes from the factory.
They cause a lot of traffic in the owners groups; someone’s got a bike that looks like an R800 but doesn’t match up in any way to what’s in the catalog
Likes For Ironfish653: