Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MB-1 Wannabe

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

MB-1 Wannabe

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 09:07 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
MB-1 Wannabe

So I found this today. 1987, pretty much original. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Likes For balindamood:
Old 09-13-16, 10:05 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
that bike is full of so much win; i especially like that stem. the novara trionfo that i have is a literal copy of the dave scott centurion; i imagine that this XR might be of similar design. you're lucky that yours is in much better shape; i had the set mine on fire to free the seat post.
Old 09-14-16, 12:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks like a fun ride! Good to see you around again, Brian.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-16, 12:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
You just gave me a smile.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-16, 01:01 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Like that a lot. Bikes like this with "royal blood" are a lot of fun for the enthusiast. Apparently, Nicol was an early employee of REI and a few years later, after launching Ibis, was asked to design a line of bikes. He experimented with Japanese built Ibis frames when demand took off. I bet your Novara is little different.
Old 09-14-16, 01:05 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like a fun ride! Good to see you around again, Brian.
Was out for a while between some personal stuff and work. Slowly working back in with a dozen more projects that I have the time to work on. Probably ought to be more selective, but I could not pass this one up.
Old 09-14-16, 01:06 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
LOVE this bike...what a great design. I don't understand why there aren't/weren't more production bikes like this.
Old 09-14-16, 01:18 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
LOVE this bike...what a great design. I don't understand why there aren't/weren't more production bikes like this.
There is some weirdness. It has three bottle bosses which was a bit unusual even for touring bikes at the time, Half-staff gearing, but no front low-rider fork mounts.

More confounding are the old-style Shimano friction bartender shifters. The Shimano line was full SIS for 1987, but these are original to the bike (the RD is SIS). I do not see SIS bar ends in Shimano's catalog for the year, but I know "light action" bar ends existed.
Old 09-14-16, 01:25 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
There is some weirdness. It has three bottle bosses which was a bit unusual even for touring bikes at the time, Half-staff gearing, but no front low-rider fork mounts.

More confounding are the old-style Shimano friction bartender shifters. The Shimano line was full SIS for 1987, but these are original to the bike (the RD is SIS). I do not see SIS bar ends in Shimano's catalog for the year, but I know "light action" bar ends existed.
That was still relatively early on in SIS for non-dura ace, so it might make sense that it hadn't gotten to bar ends, especially when I think they were becoming less popular at the time as the touring bike fad was replaced by MTBs. The SIS rear would have been normal for the kind of gruppo.
Old 09-14-16, 01:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They made a return counter force spring Bar end too .. (i Have 1) it pulled back against the return spring in the derailleur.

worked fine on FDs
Old 09-14-16, 01:34 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
I think this would have been more like a "dirt drops" mtb, like Tomac style?
Old 09-14-16, 03:45 PM
simmonsgc

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Heck, yeah.

I would never pass that one by either. Those are great shifters there. Too much to hope for that it fits you? And that the seatpost isn't stuck? And that the sweet Rhode Gear rear mirror that was likely under that velcro strap on the left hood came with the purchase? Great project, solid components all.
Old 09-14-16, 07:49 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Heck, yeah.

I would never pass that one by either. Those are great shifters there. Too much to hope for that it fits you? And that the seatpost isn't stuck? And that the sweet Rhode Gear rear mirror that was likely under that velcro strap on the left hood came with the purchase? Great project, solid components all.
My size. Seatpost not stuck, but QR missing (and already replaced). I do not mind the Shimano shifters; I just find it odd given the timing. For all I know, REI got a discount for taking all the ones Shimano had left on hand.
Old 09-14-16, 08:37 PM
CuttersRidge

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice, some seller had a Novara that looked sharp, he was out in the country away, it would have taken a special trip though, not more than about 35 miles 1 way.
Old 04-04-20, 10:00 AM
Flyoung

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I just came on,,,
I have the same Novara, color and all, Not quite as nice, i have had the bike for over 20 years, kicking it around. it has been stored (poorly) for several years. I have just recently got it out and started the rehab process.
new continental ride tours, new brake shoes,
The rubber brake lever covers were rotted so I went to replace, but found the levers cracked, so I am replacing them, along with the brake wires.
earlier this year, my wife had this bike out in a garage sale for $10. didn't sell. (it had flat tires).

I will be using this bike to get back into better physical shape.
Old 04-04-20, 10:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyoung
I know this is an old post, but I just came on,,,
I have the same Novara, color and all, Not quite as nice, i have had the bike for over 20 years, kicking it around. it has been stored (poorly) for several years. I have just recently got it out and started the rehab process.
new continental ride tours, new brake shoes,
The rubber brake lever covers were rotted so I went to replace, but found the levers cracked, so I am replacing them, along with the brake wires.
earlier this year, my wife had this bike out in a garage sale for $10. didn't sell. (it had flat tires).

I will be using this bike to get back into better physical shape.
Good thing it didn't sell; it's worth more than $10. We can help you figure out the best way to get that bike operational but you'll want to start a new thread with pictures of the bike.
Old 12-23-21, 09:50 PM
Iowhat

Bikes: Centurion Pro Tour ('81), Specialized Stumpjumper ('82), Raleigh Portage ('84), Specialized Expedition ('85), Specialized Allez SE ('85), Miyata Ridge Runner SE ('85.5), Fuso ('86), Novara X-R ('87), Peugeot Chorus ('88), Moots Mooto X YBB ('11)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
'87/'88 Novara X-R Dirt Drop Touring Bike

Hey balindamood
Dredging up your 5+ year old thread.
I just picked up a Novara X-R framset and was wondering why/how you determined yours in gray/red was a 1987 model year?

The frame I picked up is blue & white, lugged Tange Infinity, and has a Tange unicrown fork. wonder if it's an earlier model? I read another thread that had a blue & white XR and the OP called it a 1987. From what I'read REI and Scot Nichols started selling these Novara MTBs in '86 or '87. Do you have any thought on that?

In any case I've been eyeing this frameset for about 1 year hanging in a local co-op, so today decided to 'save it'. I'm l

1987 or 1988 Novara X-R drop bar MTB/Touring Bike
ooking forward to building it up!
thanks!

Last edited by Iowhat; 12-23-21 at 09:55 PM. Reason: changed text