Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I want a front basket for my particular needs?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 12:29 PM
ganchan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I tend to carry only a few items when I ride, including a u-lock and laptop in a backpack (It's not a grocery-getter or anything.) Even so, I'd like to get this stuff off of me and onto my bike. I'm thinking a front basket would be adequate for an average-sized backpack load, and it would allow paranoid me to keep an eye on my stuff as I ride. It might also keep the backpack higher up from ground level, which may or may not reduce bumps and shocks to it.) Also, my hip isn't so great at swinging a leg over a rear basket or crate when mounting my bike, which makes a front-load option seem more attractive to me.

Questions:
1. How much will front-loading the bike affect response/steering?
2. Would an ultra-lightweight basket (wicker, etc) mitigate this problem?

I imagine different bike geometries handle front loads with varying success; this is the bike I'll be equipping:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RA14_Venture_M_dkblue.jpg (59.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-30-14, 12:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Wire basket with support struts to the fork tip under it, or front Porteur rack that is solidly Mounted, will make the steering response Predictable .

but if your load carried is to be only about 2Kg then something light may be fine . but the items you list will exceed that .

I like Pauls Flat bed for its near universal mounting and its USA made Quality . Flatbed from Paul Component Engineering

Though Wald baskets are OK too Front Baskets - Waldsports
Old 10-30-14, 01:23 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the links. I believe something like the Wald 1392 (same thing as the Wald 139?) would get the job done....
Old 10-30-14, 02:27 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I fixed a basket using the Rixen and Kaul bolt-on kit. Very solid, secure, light, fits any basket.
Wicker is nicer than metal. Basil make lots.
Old 10-30-14, 07:42 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have the Wald Delivery Basket on one of my bikes and have had over twenty pounds in it a few times.
Old 10-30-14, 11:24 PM
RickBlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
I tend to carry only a few items when I ride, including a u-lock and laptop in a backpack (It's not a grocery-getter or anything.) Even so, I'd like to get this stuff off of me and onto my bike. I'm thinking a front basket would be adequate for an average-sized backpack load, and it would allow paranoid me to keep an eye on my stuff as I ride. It might also keep the backpack higher up from ground level, which may or may not reduce bumps and shocks to it.) Also, my hip isn't so great at swinging a leg over a rear basket or crate when mounting my bike, which makes a front-load option seem more attractive to me.

Questions:
1. How much will front-loading the bike affect response/steering?
2. Would an ultra-lightweight basket (wicker, etc) mitigate this problem?

I imagine different bike geometries handle front loads with varying success; this is the bike I'll be equipping:

I have always liked the look of wicker as a front basket. It reminds me of the golden days of biking.

But due to the value of my load (puppy) I went with Wald 157 Front Giant Delivery Bicycle Basket (link below). Best price I could find and free shipping. YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XK7BKKTT564UJB

I have had 30-40lb backpacks in it with no effect on the ride. A pillow and a small blanket and my puppy likes it just fine.

My biking buddy. Sorry no pics of her on the bike.

Last edited by RickBlane; 10-30-14 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-02-14, 09:58 AM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hmm, it looks like my particular bike might not take a bolt-mounted front basket after all; the only set of eyelets it has down there are for the front fender. So I guess it makes sense to get a front rack that attaches to the brake bosses instead. This would allow me the same versatility as a rear rack as far as strapping a variety of baskets, panniers, pizza boxes, etc. onto it.... Anybody going that route?
Old 11-03-14, 03:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had a Front rack Fabricated in 1991 that mounted to the end of cantilever brake Bolts.
Old 11-03-14, 06:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
Hmm, it looks like my particular bike might not take a bolt-mounted front basket after all; the only set of eyelets it has down there are for the front fender. So I guess it makes sense to get a front rack that attaches to the brake bosses instead. This would allow me the same versatility as a rear rack as far as strapping a variety of baskets, panniers, pizza boxes, etc. onto it.... Anybody going that route?
The arms mount on the axle for the average front basket (i.e. Wald or similar). There are removable baskets that attach to a bracket mounted to the stem or handlebars (I don't pay attention to that, I have 'old fashioned cruisers'). If you have a quick release axle with the lever then you would have to find different arms that mount as you mentioned, your LBS will know.

Drilling your own holes is not something you should do without experience.

Wicker baskets are for LOOKS. They are practically useless otherwise and you don't want them...trust me.

Looking at your picture I can see the Wald 139 should be fine and it the arms are too short they can be had in many lengths, see the LBS, they are replaceable and can be ordered. You can also get longer mounts to put the basket out ahead further as well. If the bottom is in the way of brake hardware or fenders then either longer arms/mounts are needed or you need to chose a different size or style of basket.

Don't leave out the option of dual rear mounted 'paperboy' baskets OR bags as they carry their load over the drive wheel and don't unduly influence the steering. You have a lower stepover height that makes it easier to get on and I just tilt the bike inward and down lower, plant my foot out slightly and get it over. If that is still a problem I would recommend using the curb and place the bike lower in the gutter or using the parking space barrier in the parking space. Having a low stepover isn't really the advantage it seems to be if you need a taller seating position for a nominal stroke while pedaling but I sometimes nearly lay it down while stepping over anyway. My bikes are pack mules as well so I adapt.

Last edited by Rollfast; 11-03-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 01:52 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My LBS says the Wald 1392 (same thing as the 139?) will work for what I need, but recommends that they either find some way to fasten it to my (unused) front fender eyelets or attach it with P-clips. Which method would be smarter and more secure? How much weight can I safely carry this way? 15 pounds, maybe?
Old 11-07-14, 02:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Maybe up to 25 pounds. It depends. You'll figure it out eventually.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-14, 03:03 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, in the end I completely changed my game plan, raised my budget a bit, and bought this and this.

But I found this thread very helpful in weighing the pros and cons of various options. So, thanks!