Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking to grab my first commuter.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 08:20 PM
Shadoninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys! I got a lot of help from you not too long ago, and have decided to be a little less picky with my first bike. I want one for commuting and am looking to spend up to $500 on it. Finding random bikes on craigslist is a little empty-feeling because I have been unable to look up the models for price-ranges/reviews (let me know if I am just blind on this one). I would love to get some suggestions from you guys, BUT FIRST.... some stats:

Sex: male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 135 lbs
Commute: 3.1 miles each way (I am guessing this will increase to something like 8 when I move in August)
Terrain: Looks to be basic bike paths in decent condition. There are lots of different paths, and I am not sure if anything is dirt (or if that matters)

I made a thread on this not too long ago and told everyone I wanted to mountain bike as well. This split the thread up pretty badly and I decided that if I try to balance the two I am going to just never get anything done. This bike is going to be pure commuter. I am willing to drop up to $500 on my first bike with two things in mind. 1. Get a decent bike (hopefully) 2. Find out what I DON'T like so I can get the perfect bike when round 2 comes around.

If more info will help, just tell me! I need a little help before I throw money on something.
Old 02-09-15, 08:48 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Low cost reliable and just hipster enough to deflect criticism. Perhaps you should consider the Priority bike, $400.Home page
Old 02-09-15, 09:17 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Disclaimer: I've never bought from bikesdirect, but a lot of people here like them (lots of people here don't like them too, so you might want to do a search). Still, this seems like a lot of bike for the money.
Save up to 60% off new Cyclocross Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom CX Clearance
Old 02-12-15, 10:26 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I know you're not necessarily looking for CL suggestions, but I can't resist the temptation of looking at used bike listings, hence:

Scott CrossComp Cyclocross Bike 53cm - If this fits, and you can talk the seller down to $500, this could be a great bike. I am actually a bit surprised the seller calls it "entry-level". Ultegra components are not entry-level...

Surly Cross Check - Surly CrossCheck. A classic. The post does say OBO, so see if you can talk the seller down close to your budget. I personally would not buy this bike because single-speeds are not at all my thing, but if your commute is flat and you don't mind the lack of gears, this could be an attractive option.

Miyata Elevation 2000 mountain bike - If the bike's in good condition, this is a very reasonable deal. (Damn, I get envious browsing American CL ads... Toronto never has anything like this, it seems.... everyone wants $250 for their Walmart Hunk-O-Junk....)

Gary Fisher Mountain Bike - More MTB options (though I know you said you aren't trying to do both anymore.)

Specialized Tricross Singlecross (54cm) - Another single-speed, if you're so inclined.

2004 Trek 1200 bike - Road.

Just food for thought, maybe.
Old 02-12-15, 11:10 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you want us to suggest brands or what?
Personally I like a fully rigid (No suspension) frame for commute, look for one that is not too heavy, tires probably a little skinny but not too much, also not knobby, to roll better on the road. Base on your stats a medium size will be fine probably 18 or 19 inches. Do you like Flat handlebars MTB style or do you prefer drop down handlebars Road bike style? that is up to you.
Keep in mind investing on a set of Lights, something with 500 Lumens for front light will be sufficient and a flashing red light with about 25 Lumens for the back.
Fenders is another thing that come handy when its been raining so give them a though, and yeah a nice rack for cargo carrying nothing better than that.
If you whan us to suggest brands I would probably suggest the Giant Scape City
Escape City (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Good luck to you
Old 02-13-15, 09:02 PM
Smee1983

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a fellow front range rider I have found a great source for used bikes to be The Pros Closet, Cycling Clothing items in theproscloset store on eBay! and its based out of Boulder at that. Its worth a shot if your patient and willing to wait for the right bike in the right size for you!