Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Haggling with LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Haggling with LBS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 03:47 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I recently purchased a Trek Emonda SLR and was able to get an additional discount for cash.

Every little bit helps.
Good call. Every credit/debit card purchase costs around 2.5% and they have to price the bike assuming you'll use plastic. If you offer cash, they won't be charged that and may be willing to pass that on. Again, no money out of the owner's pocket while saving you money.
Old 03-11-15, 03:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Join a club. Lots of bike shops give discounts to local cycling clubs.
Around here, you would get between a 10 and 20 percent discount.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-11-15, 03:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Look at it from the LBS's point of view. I understand that they want to move old inventory to make room for new, but at the same time, they have a financial investment in that bike. If you ask them for more money off, that is money out of their pocket. However, if you ask for some sort of a discount on the accessories you need, that is just less profit on those items. The latter is a way to save some money while being fair to both parties.
Mine was a Project One custom build, I paid 50% at the time of order. And they passed the saving of credit card fees on to me. After all said and done i saved about $15 off the price listed on Trek's website.
Old 03-11-15, 03:50 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Good call. Every credit/debit card purchase costs around 2.5% and they have to price the bike assuming you'll use plastic. If you offer cash, they won't be charged that and may be willing to pass that on. Again, no money out of the owner's pocket while saving you money.
I see you beat me to it...

I got "Tree'd"
Old 03-11-15, 03:53 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haggling isn't a game for the retailers here in the US - it's an annoyance. I'm the only one in my family that hasn't worked retail, so have listened to 3 kids and my wife talk about appreciating and good customers getting breaks and assistance, while time-wasters just do nothing but ... waste time. Sales folk don't make enough to put up with it. Why not just get your fantasy jollies at a LBS that already has prices you like?

Not saying that asking for a better price, offering cash to get a discount, etc, is wrong, I do that when it seems appropriate, but haggling on bikes? Come on....
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 03-11-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 04:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by RoadTire
Not saying that asking for a better price, offering cash to get a discount, etc, is wrong, I do that when it seems appropriate, but haggling on bikes? Come on....
Agreed... nothing wrong with asking, but beating up the LBS is poor form.

I did ask this general question at a few Trek dealers "When buying a Project One bike is there any flexibility in the price given by Trek"? Two said no, the price you see is the price you pay. One said they'd "work with me". And one said they'd only wanted to sell what was in stock and showed me a SLR 6 at full list price.

I purchased from the one that said they're work with me... and they sure did.
Old 03-11-15, 04:17 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I don't haggle with the LBS. It's rude and disrespectful.
Old 03-11-15, 04:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Look at it from the LBS's point of view. I understand that they want to move old inventory to make room for new, but at the same time, they have a financial investment in that bike. If you ask them for more money off, that is money out of their pocket. However, if you ask for some sort of a discount on the accessories you need, that is just less profit on those items. The latter is a way to save some money while being fair to both parties.
Do LBS shops take a lot of product on consignment or some sort of deal with the manufacturers that if product doesn't sell they can either return to manufacturer or manufacturer will rebate some money to the LBS if it ends up in inventory after the season? ie. so they can sell at lower price and not lose money?

eg.. I recently bought a Pearl Izumi quest jersey for about $28 from an online retailer. Not sure if last season's or not. Most stores regular retail on this is $65. We commonly hear that that LBS aren't making money, but this to me indicates most stores are selling at least at a 100% markup (on clothing anyway). Does the bargaining position begin with the 100% markup knowledge, or are some shops (online or not) getting discounts from the manufacturers as the season gets toward the end but only on new inventory they order from the distributors?
Old 03-11-15, 04:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Personally I never haggle over "new" stuff.
Although I could imagine doing it a bit over a custom build.

However, I sometimes do at the local co-op. Often filled with used trash. About 10% of the stuff is marked, 90% of the stuff the person checking out makes up prices on the spot. I might point out a broken spoke in a wheel or something.

Or, the other day I wanted a extra-wide rim, which was built into a wheel. I didn't want the hub, the spokes probably wouldn't work for me... tire was worn down. They wanted too much for the wheel, so I left it. I'll probably pay more for the "right" rim new somewhere else, or keep my eye open for a thrift store beater that I can salvage the parts I need off of, now that I have an idea of what should be available.
Old 03-11-15, 04:42 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@[Sy Reene] New bikes on the showroom floor are capitol purchased by the LBS. In my favorite LBS's case, their profit on high end bikes is marginal at best. Accessories are typically over 100% but as much as 200% marked up. Online retailers don't have sales staff or showroom overhead and can order just-in-time in many cases, minimizing tied up capitol. Typically the manufacturers have a minimum allowed advertised price, but once the model year is over the items can be liquidated without penalty of violating MAAP which is likely why you found the product for so cheap.
Old 03-11-15, 05:32 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how about the price beggars that don't have money in hand...

smh
Old 03-11-15, 05:34 PM
coldehammer

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd refrain from using the term "haggle" to negotiating. It is part of the purchasing experience, same as buying a car. I don't sympathize with the LBS owners, they know what their bottom dollar is and know how it works. They are not rookies either.

I usually ask what is involved in their bike price. More often than not, they include "free one year warranty, 10% off accessories on the next purchase, etc". I add that all up and say . . I just want the bike - I don't need any of that. Let's negotiate on that and lower the price . . usually both of us are happy.
Old 03-11-15, 05:39 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I also think haggling is regional. In some markets, it is expected. In some markets, it is rude. We met NYC folks in Jamaica who found the best part of the trip to be that every price on everything can be haggled. I found that to be the worst part of the trip.
Old 03-11-15, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would think a bike over 2k is worth asking about a discount. Lower than that, forget it unless I am in China or Asia where that stuff happens all the time but I hear its going the opposite way now pay the list price or just walk.
Old 03-11-15, 06:56 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MasterBastian
So for instance, today I am going to buy a 2014 Tarmac Sport from them. The sticker price is $1949, they told me they would do $1700. Before he even said the number, that's honestly what I was planning on offering him. But now I'm thinking maybe a new set of tires and $1700 is a good deal. The tires have probably been on the bike since it was built and who knows how many test rides its been on...I don't think new tires is a ridiculous request, considering I'm about to drop 2k after taxes...
Why not just beat em down and offer to pay full price for the tires if they'll throw in the bike...sheesssshhh
By the way 2k is a nice price for a starter bike. It's not like they'll go outta business if they lose your $200-$300 profit
Old 03-11-15, 06:58 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
I haggle where that's the buying norm like autos and home improvement. I don't in other situations like dentists, accountants, and bike shops.
Old 03-11-15, 07:01 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So for instance, today I am going to buy a 2014 Tarmac Sport from them. The sticker price is $1949, they told me they would do $1700. Before he even said the number, that's honestly what I was planning on offering him. But now I'm thinking maybe a new set of tires and $1700 is a good deal. The tires have probably been on the bike since it was built and who knows how many test rides its been on...I don't think new tires is a ridiculous request, considering I'm about to drop 2k after taxes...
if you want to haggle. just haggle. rationalizing it serves no purpose.
Old 03-11-15, 07:05 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
One time they said it would take a few hours for them to fix it, and asked if I'd like to "test ride" another R3 while they worked on mine. Told me to bring it back before they closed, or the next day.

Another time I hit a pothole (swerved to dodge a car) coming down a hill and needed the wheel trued. It was a busy day, the shop didn't have time. Gave me a set of Zipps to ride until they could get to mine.

Knowing I'll be taken care of in a pinch is worth a lot.
I totally agree that having a good regular LBS is important but let's not put these bike shop businesses on a pedestal, shall we. I have had excellent service from a good and honest owner and in that situation I will not only not try to haggle price down but may even pay more: I was looking for a £25 stem and he said he was out of stock but had a £40 model. I bought it because I know the owner is honest.

Before I found my go-to shop, I came across a whole bunch of crooks who saw a new customer as a good target for their shenanigens. One shop quoted me a ridiculous price for changing bar tape and when I questioned it, he said it was a major operation that would take him 45 mins and need to strip the front end to put the tape on. oh please! He was not the only one to try that one on.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 03-11-15, 07:05 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
No, seems like a pointless thing to haggle over. The bike sat in a showroom and may have been built as recently as 5 or 6 months ago or, at most, a year ago. Do you feel the need to replace one year old tires with less than 50 miles on them? Besides, the "new" tires the bike shop is likely to throw in for free might be even older stock than the ones they are replacing.
Old 03-11-15, 07:12 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
I don't haggle with the LBS. It's rude and disrespectful.
No, it's actually not. It is how business is conducted. Win-win negotiating is always in good form.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-11-15, 07:23 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most test rides are very short. Typically a few miles. Let's say an average of 5 miles (perhaps a bit high?), and maybe 20 test rides (a bit high also), so, 100 miles of test riding.

An average set of tires might last you 3K miles. Is it really worth replacing them at (maybe) 100 miles, when they still have 3K miles left? If you are concerned about some dirt on the tires, you can easily wipe them off with water and a rag, 10 seconds per tire. However, the tires will get dirty again a few seconds into your first ride.
Old 03-11-15, 07:25 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have never haggled with the LBS. Always paid what they asked kinda out of pity....they obviously work with really low margins. Bike shops aren't what they used to be....no service, never have what you want to buy, and they have zero spare parts to sell you. I now just buy my stuff online and do all my own work.

Buying a motor vehicle? I just tell them what I am paying. If they don't accept, I walk. They call the next day.
Old 03-11-15, 07:36 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
Most test rides are very short. Typically a few miles. Let's say an average of 5 miles (perhaps a bit high?), and maybe 20 test rides (a bit high also), so, 100 miles of test riding.

An average set of tires might last you 3K miles. Is it really worth replacing them at (maybe) 100 miles, when they still have 3K miles left? If you are concerned about some dirt on the tires, you can easily wipe them off with water and a rag, 10 seconds per tire. However, the tires will get dirty again a few seconds into your first ride.
Likely fewer miles. Op is likely to put more wear on the tires on his first ride as they have on them now.
Old 03-11-15, 08:12 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coldehammer
I usually ask what is involved in their bike price. More often than not, they include "free one year warranty, 10% off accessories on the next purchase, etc". I add that all up and say . . I just want the bike - I don't need any of that. Let's negotiate on that and lower the price . . usually both of us are happy.
such a shrewd business person you are....
Old 03-11-15, 09:05 PM
coldehammer

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
such a shrewd business person you are....
It's a dog eat dog world out there . . why add a "service" when I know darn well I'll do it myself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.