Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding on wet roads: can you tell when you're about to lose traction?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 07:01 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am a new rider and have started commuting to work most days on my Trek Crossrip.

We're coming into winter here in the South, which brings more rain (but fortunately no frost or ice!), and I'm a bit wary of riding in wet conditions.

I have disk brakes, but realise the actual traction of the tires is going to be substantially reduced on wet surfaces. My main fear is losing traction on turns, particular as I'm clipped in. My bike has 32mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires, which are semi-slick touring tires with about 0.8mm of tread (@70psi)

So my question is this: is it possible to tell when you're "on the edge" of losing traction and can this be recovered before tipping over?

Thanks for any advice!

John
Old 05-11-17, 07:16 PM
indiglow

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Bianchi D2 Super Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
You def have to ride differently in the rain, IMO. Watch out for paint and be especially careful on first rains, similar to driving a car I suppose. When riding, you will be able to feel the front/rear tire sliding out from under you and be able to save yourself, along with a little of that roller coaster feeling. Just reduce speed and stay vigilant about road conditions and you'll be fine.
Old 05-11-17, 08:27 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Depending on your weight, 70 psi might be high for such large tires in wet conditions.
Old 05-11-17, 09:01 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
is it possible to tell when you're "on the edge" of losing traction and can this be recovered before tipping over?
The usual failure mode is not "tipping over", but rather "washing out" or "wiping out" as most cyclists call it.

It is possible to tell on a wet pavement.
Impossible on ice, paint strips, metal plates/grates/rails - the loss is sudden and so quick that you are down before you realize you are going down. Also watch out close to intersections as vehicles use to idle there while stopped, dripping minute amounts of lubricants on the road, and once the rain starts you can't see the oily drops, but they are there, lying in wait to ambush you.

Recovery is possible, depends on skill and experience. If you regularly rode in snow, on sandy surfaces or muddy mtb singletrack you would have the skills developed. Acquiring those skills by simply riding on (wet) roads is improbable as it would take forever.

I have ridden Vitoria V Hypers on my SS in the wet quite a lot, they are not a bad tire for those conditions.
Old 05-11-17, 10:40 PM
johngwheeler

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
The usual failure mode is not "tipping over", but rather "washing out" or "wiping out" as most cyclists call it.

It is possible to tell on a wet pavement.
Impossible on ice, paint strips, metal plates/grates/rails - the loss is sudden and so quick that you are down before you realize you are going down. Also watch out close to intersections as vehicles use to idle there while stopped, dripping minute amounts of lubricants on the road, and once the rain starts you can't see the oily drops, but they are there, lying in wait to ambush you.

Recovery is possible, depends on skill and experience. If you regularly rode in snow, on sandy surfaces or muddy mtb singletrack you would have the skills developed. Acquiring those skills by simply riding on (wet) roads is improbable as it would take forever.

I have ridden Vitoria V Hypers on my SS in the wet quite a lot, they are not a bad tire for those conditions.
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I should get some practice on a safe but slippery surface (e.g. wet grass) so that I become familiar with the sensation of losing traction in a turn and practice recovery manoeuvres.

Is it a good idea to unclip your inside foot from the pedal when entering a tight turn just in case you need to put your foot down if the bike slides from under you?
Old 05-11-17, 11:13 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I should get some practice on a safe but slippery surface (e.g. wet grass) so that I become familiar with the sensation of losing traction in a turn and practice recovery manoeuvres.
Or you could just slow down if it's wet.
Old 05-12-17, 12:33 AM
indiglow

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Bianchi D2 Super Pista

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Lol, you're seriously overthinking this, jusrydjyobikeman!
Old 05-12-17, 12:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I loose traction when climbing hills. If I slip for a half a pedal stroke, I may be able to recover. A couple of strokes, and I lose all forward momentum. I've just decided to unclip and put my feet down rather than pressing my luck too far.

Is it a good idea to unclip your inside foot from the pedal when entering a tight turn just in case you need to put your foot down if the bike slides from under you?
As others have mentioned, slow down and take it easy unless you're racing.

Having the bike slip out from under you can happen very quickly, but I wouldn't unclip unless you're sure you're crashing. Learn to unclip quickly.
Old 05-12-17, 12:53 AM
boshk

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW (retired)

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think cycling is similar to riding motorcycle.
Whenever I get caught out on my bike, I change my riding completely.

Main advise is avoiding manhole covers, white/yellow road markings, cat eyes and plan your braking IF possible. Start your braking earlier and smoothly. I should actually say, avoid leaning the bike or braking on any of the above hazards.
I know some 'better riders both cyclist and motorcycle' can do it leaned over but I don't, I'm not Froome or Rossi.

Also, if you have a choice, go riding after a massive downpour, better than the first drizzle because after the downpour, the roads are a bit 'cleaner'
Old 05-12-17, 02:28 AM
Leon_LovesLycra

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it is wet I mainly worry about other cars losing traction and hitting me. People seem to drive like idiots when it is wet.
Old 05-12-17, 03:20 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't tend to cycle in the rain however I was once caught in a shower of showers rain storm on my crotch rocket. It was a challenging experience as the slightest tweak of the throttle would set the rear on a spastic fit. Cornering was the equivalent of a geriatric trying to navigate a maze. Top that off with a consistent river of cold rain water making it down between your nether regions and it made the entire experience quite horrible.
Old 05-12-17, 05:31 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Or you could just slow down if it's wet.
This.

It's happened to me a couple of times on turns. One time the back end slid, I over corrected, got side ways and down I went. It was dark and it happened so fast there was no way to recover from it.

The second time it happened the back end slid slightly and I was able to correct and recover. But it was one of these Oh sh*t moments that was very scary.

I learned. I slow way down on corners when it's wet.
Old 05-12-17, 06:05 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Painted markings are the worst. You'll just go down instantly, see Froome in the last TdF.
Old 05-12-17, 06:19 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Do you hit corners at 30mph during your commute? Just take it easy. If unsure, go even slower.
Old 05-12-17, 06:57 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Also, beware of blacktopped parkinglots. They're typically much more slippery than road asphalt.

If you're being relatively safe, you really dont have a lot to worry about on wet roads, you still have plenty of traction for most conditions. As others said, maybe slow down a touch. But really...just avoid paint/manhole covers while turning or braking, and try to avoid turning and braking at the same time. Also allow a bit of extra stopping distance. And don't get crazy and lean way over in turns like a tour de france rider.
Old 05-12-17, 08:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
The short answer is "No, you cannot tell when you're about to lose traction on wet roads." It just goes. That's why riding less aggressively is required.
Old 05-12-17, 08:49 AM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I salute your tire choice

My bike has 32mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires, which are semi-slick touring tires with about 0.8mm of tread (@70psi)

John[/QUOTE]
I commute on Voyager hypers on my singlespeed, in the city, and tour on them on my touring bike, including gravel bike paths. Superb, smooth rolling, good grip and no flats for me in thousands of miles. Fine in rain on pavement. Follow the other responders wet riding suggestions. You're rolling on terrific tires.
Old 05-12-17, 09:01 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by motorapido
My bike has 32mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires, which are semi-slick touring tires with about 0.8mm of tread (@70psi)

John
I commute on Voyager hypers on my singlespeed, in the city, and tour on them on my touring bike, including gravel bike paths. Superb, smooth rolling, good grip and no flats for me in thousands of miles. Fine in rain on pavement. Follow the other responders wet riding suggestions. You're rolling on terrific tires.
+1 as well on great tires. I recently replaced my 40mm Voyager Hypers with GP4000sii's...I'm thinking of switching back.
Old 05-12-17, 09:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
main thing is, when cornering in the extreme wet .. . Do Not Lean. Slow down,. lean your body more and keep the bike as upright as possible. When you get on the edge of the tire the slightest wiggle can bring you down so fast you won't know until you hit the pavement. Keep the bike close to vertical. Move your body to get the balance you need.

You will do fine.
Old 05-12-17, 10:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can only give you my experience so here goes. I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years. I have been an MSF Instructor for the state of CT. And, I have ridden bicycles for about 35 yrs. The biggest difference to me is that the contact patch of a bicycle tire is about the size of a dime while (relatively) the contact patch of a motorcycle is considerably larger. If you lose the the tire on a bicycle tire I can't believe you can bring it back. If you can, you are a TdF rider. At least, that's my view.
Old 05-12-17, 10:59 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by bruce19
I can only give you my experience so here goes. I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years. I have been an MSF Instructor for the state of CT. And, I have ridden bicycles for about 35 yrs. The biggest difference to me is that the contact patch of a bicycle tire is about the size of a dime while (relatively) the contact patch of a motorcycle is considerably larger. If you lose the the tire on a bicycle tire I can't believe you can bring it back. If you can, you are a TdF rider. At least, that's my view.
Actually, I think the biggest differences are the weights. A motorcycle has greater overall weight, as well as much higher wheel weight. There is a real gyroscopic effect on motorcycles...not so with bicycles. I imagine this makes a motorcycle much more stable at speed with iffy traction.
Old 05-12-17, 11:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
No, you can't.
Old 05-12-17, 11:05 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Also, throttle control on motorcycles.
Old 05-12-17, 11:27 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Also, throttle control on motorcycles.
You don't have a wattage dial on your road bike for the same effect?
Old 05-12-17, 11:30 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
You don't have a wattage dial on your road bike for the same effect?
The kittens let him know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.