Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front rotor won't stop rubbing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 10:57 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have problem with front rotor rubbing on my 2016 giant tcx, which has 160 rotors. I've tried everything. truing the rotor, getting new rotors, different pads, different wheels. yet for whatever reason, my front rotor still rubs, when i stand up to climb/sprint, and especially when I brake very hard during a descent, which I understand causes some warping.

I thought i'd solve the problem by going to shimano ice tech floating rotors (RT-86), which are supposed to cool a lot faster. it actually became worse. if I do any moderate braking on the RT-86 rotors, they would rub on the pads for a while, until they cool off. the other day, I came off a steep descent and braked to slow down, and for about 10-15 seconds, my front rotor was rubbing so loud without braking that it was making squealing noises. the noise then subsided, but this is absurd. I want the noise to go away

one theory I have is maybe there's moisture in the rotors, such that under heavy braking, water evaporates, and prevents the pads from retracting all the away. Perhaps a bleed job is in order, although the bike is basically new old stock and barely has 1k miles. Also, this does not explain why the problem is worse with the ice tech rotors. And it doesn't explain why even from my front door, if I start sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, the rotor rubs without any braking.

any ideas?
Old 06-14-19, 12:07 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
When you say you tried everything, I assume that means aligning the calipers too.

Google it if you haven't. Lots of folks have the same problem. That is one reason I avoid disc brakes for the lower priced bikes I buy.

But since you have them, If you still can't stop or reduce, You might get a LBS to have a look, It shouldn't be that loud. Some rubbing isn't uncommon.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-14-19 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 12:50 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yea i've tried to realign the caliper. haven't gotten a chance to stop by bike shop yet.
Old 06-14-19, 01:48 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Take heart - it can be fixed by a good bike mechanic. There are lots of us riding with disc brakes with no rub, no noise and no problem. Let us know what the bike tech says.
Old 06-14-19, 10:19 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Sounds like the caliper pistons aren't retracting. Try pulling the wheel off and pushing the pistons flush with the caliper and then test. You may have a bit more travel in the levers after doing this, so test in a low-traffic and flat area. Depending on the type of levers you can adjust freestroke and lever reach to accommodate.