Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike Mirrors on Glasses?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Bike Mirrors on Glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 02:36 PM
gbiker

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Mirrors on Glasses?

I've tried several glass-mountable rear-view mirrors (including the Take a Look, which is probably the best), but try as I might I just can't seem to get them adjusted correctly without having to cock my head up and to the side to see what's behind me. Anybody ever been able to get them adjusted so they work on your glasses with your head in the usual biking position?
Old 08-31-10, 02:55 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Take Look mirror that you mentioned and it just works.

I do occasionally have to turn my head a bit to see right behind me, but I don't have to cock it up or down -- the mirror can be adjusted up and down so I don't have to do it with my head.

(I have to turn my head a bit to the left because otherwise my head blocks what I want to see, if I want to see to the right behind me.)

I'm having a hard time picturing what problem you're having. Do you have any pictures of you wearing them? There might be something very wrong there, or perhaps you could google for pictures of them in use, compare to how you're wearing them?

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2630/...894feff3_o.jpg is how it should be mounted, though the part on the glasses could be rotated 90 degrees if that part is wider than it is tall.
Old 08-31-10, 03:13 PM
gbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, my glasses have curved temples (whatever the two long folding parts are called), so I have to attach the mirror to the straighter part of the frame over the lens. I'll have to try with straighter glasses!
Old 08-31-10, 04:28 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used this mirror for years. It did take a short adjustment period but I would no leave home with out it. I had it clipped to my glasses for a long time but if I stopped to take pictures I always had to take it off so I now have it clipped to my helmet visor.
Old 08-31-10, 05:02 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you can't get it out to the side enough to see without turning your head, then it needs to be bent farther left. If that puts it outside your corrected field of vision, then you can either get glasses with bigger lenses (what I did) or try to mount them farther forwards (may not be possible).
Old 09-01-10, 06:46 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This design mounts at the front of the temple - doesn't matter if the style is curved or straight, thin or thick. Mirror must be far enough out to see past your shoulder and down enough to see traffic and not sky.

Posted here for you to pattern or follow signature link.
Old 09-06-10, 11:48 AM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a take-a-look mounted to my helmet (best helmet mirrors ever) and don't mind the slight head motion it takes to check behind me. I suppose i could bend it farther outward but it's never been a problem.
Old 09-06-10, 02:44 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've had a Chuck Harris eyeglasses mounted rear view mirror for 30+ years. I feel uncomfortable on the bike, when I have to ride without it because of rain.

If the mirror is mounted correctly, you must cock your head slightly to the left to see behind you. Chuck would stand behind you and see how they worked. He'd then bend them to make a final adjustment. Like all reflections, direction is reversed. If you find yourself turning too far leftword for comfort, then you have to bend the mirror to the right. Ditto for up and down.
Old 09-06-10, 05:11 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
I've used several brands without any real issues. I've heard that some people have a sort of "eye hang up" where they simply can't switch focus back and forth and end up moving there head when they attempt to "see" the mirror.

Hard to say, but eye glass mirrors are a no brainer.
Old 09-06-10, 06:38 PM
gbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got another pair of glasses with straighter temples and the mirror works better attached to that. I still have to cock my head up and over a bit to see behind me, but it's not too bad. Probably be able to improve it with further tweaking, or just put it on a helmet.