Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cageless bottles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cageless bottles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 03:36 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I have one bottle cage and one Fabric cageless bottle option on my road bike.

The down tube has the bottle cage and the seat tube has the cageless. Seems to work out pretty well for me. On short rides, the cageless bottle stays home and there are only some small attachment pieces that don't mess with the bike's clean lines or aesthetics. On longer rides, primary hydration is from the caged bottle. Then drink from the cageless bottle at stop signs/traffic or other stops.

I have never had the Fabric cageless bottle come loose - same can't be said about some of the poorer excessively light bottle cages.

The Fabric cageless bottle can be difficult to put back while riding, on the down tube it isn't too bad but on the seat tube it can be nearly impossible at speed.
Old 08-09-17, 05:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
curious about any updates on people's experience with these bottles. Want to mount them on the cross bike as the training/practice/race season transitions so I don't have to constantly be removing cages
No complaints.
Old 08-10-17, 05:45 AM
StanPark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had these for one season and grew to hate them. Main issue is that they fall on rough terrain, like over rail road tracks. But also I had to look down to reattach the bottle every time I took a sip. Eventually one of them broke after the fall and I was happy to throw them both out and replace with light carbon cages.
Also, they dont have an insulated version.
Old 08-10-17, 11:58 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by StanPark
I have had these for one season and grew to hate them. Main issue is that they fall on rough terrain, like over rail road tracks. But also I had to look down to reattach the bottle every time I took a sip. Eventually one of them broke after the fall and I was happy to throw them both out and replace with light carbon cages.
Also, they dont have an insulated version.
they have an insulated version now. Interesting you are having problems since they seem well received over on MTBR
Old 08-11-17, 03:54 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
I ride and drink without ever looking down at my cages. That system looks like it would be tough to replace the bottles without taking your eyes off the road. Pin point accuracy required.
Yes, with cageless bottles you now also have to rotate the bottle into the correct position. Its like hinging a door.
Old 08-11-17, 08:32 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Yes, with cageless bottles you now also have to rotate the bottle into the correct position. Its like hinging a door.
This. The inventors trying to solve a non-problem created an even bigger one.
Old 08-11-17, 08:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I hope people don't judge Fabric by their bottles but judge them by their saddles.

Their saddles are great and the engineers who designed them clearly understand cycling. Their marketing people who named the various models, not so much.

Naming schemes and bottles aside, Fabric is the new Fizik.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-11-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 05:56 AM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a couple of travel bikes (S&S and Ritchey Breakaway) so I've long been thinking that a cageless bottle setup would be nice for packing up and assembling my bike. After a 7 hour flight through 6 time zones, it's surprising how the simplest things become more complicated. So when I found the Fabric bottles at half price at an LBS, I bought one to try out. The bottle stayed in despite very rough road conditions but the ease of getting it back into the studs was lacking. I just didn't feel comfortable particularly at speed on rough surfaces getting the bottle back onto the studs. I expect that I would get better at this but I just wasn't into another learning curve to get to that point. In addition, the valve of the bottle wasn't very efficient and didn't deliver the water with the ease of my conventional bottles and I didn't see that this would change no matter how good I got at replacing the bottle back on the frame. So, cages back on for now at least. With a trip to the Pyrenees in 4 weeks, I don't need another thing to try to make work.
Old 08-14-17, 10:56 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by canamdad
I have a couple of travel bikes (S&S and Ritchey Breakaway) so I've long been thinking that a cageless bottle setup would be nice for packing up and assembling my bike. After a 7 hour flight through 6 time zones, it's surprising how the simplest things become more complicated. So when I found the Fabric bottles at half price at an LBS, I bought one to try out. The bottle stayed in despite very rough road conditions but the ease of getting it back into the studs was lacking. I just didn't feel comfortable particularly at speed on rough surfaces getting the bottle back onto the studs. I expect that I would get better at this but I just wasn't into another learning curve to get to that point. In addition, the valve of the bottle wasn't very efficient and didn't deliver the water with the ease of my conventional bottles and I didn't see that this would change no matter how good I got at replacing the bottle back on the frame. So, cages back on for now at least. With a trip to the Pyrenees in 4 weeks, I don't need another thing to try to make work.
These quick connects may be what you want to try next https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...mount/p/22119/
Old 08-14-17, 01:27 PM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
These quick connects may be what you want to try next https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...mount/p/22119/
Yes, those do look good but expensive particularly for 2 sets! Think I'll be just using cages for a while longer at least.