Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing water bladder in freezer (how long is safe?)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 08:13 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I generally keep my bladder in there for a week or two max but it's been several months since I last used it - should I take it out and wash it or leave it?

Would there a rough time limit before it becomes theoretically unsafe to drink from - like water that has been frozen for a year or so?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-14-18, 12:10 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Next time, empty it out, then put it in the freezer. Mine is in there right now, and has been for a hot minute, like a year I think.
Old 01-14-18, 07:46 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Next time, empty it out, then put it in the freezer. Mine is in there right now, and has been for a hot minute, like a year I think.
Thanks for the advice. Will do!
Old 01-14-18, 10:44 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Are you interested in testing the maximum duration of freezing before you get a water-born GI infection? Why is this important?

Why not take it out, thaw it, wash it in warm water, disinfect with a dilute bleach solution, and rinse with distilled water, then dry?

Then wash with soap and water once a week, before you fill and freeze it for the day.

Why would this information be relevant? What record are you trying to set? How hard is it to clean the thing and replace the water once in a while?
Old 01-14-18, 10:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Next time, empty it out, then put it in the freezer.
What would be the point of storing an empty bladder in the freezer?
Old 01-14-18, 10:56 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
If it is put in the freezer clean it will come out clean. Including the water.
Have never heard of water 'going bad' in a freezer, other than ice cubes picking up flavors/odors if not regularly used but they are not generally in a sealed container.
That said, I only stick my Polar bottles - reasonably clean - in the freezer in anticipation of a ride, and then with only a couple of inches of water.
I don't generally store stuff in the freezer that doesn't require freezing.
Old 01-14-18, 10:56 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Freezer time limits are for food. It's hard to avoid "freezer burn" which is the loss of water content and oxidation in the food. Your bag of water won't go bad (but it might shrink slightly!)
Old 01-14-18, 11:04 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've stored water for over one month during a voyage from New York to England and all was fine. If the container is clean to begin with, it will remain clean when frozen.
Old 01-14-18, 11:28 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What would be the point of storing an empty bladder in the freezer?
No mold, no smell, no issues.
Old 01-14-18, 02:50 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardofboz
are you interested in testing the maximum duration of freezing before you get a water-born gi infection? Why is this important?

Why not take it out, thaw it, wash it in warm water, disinfect with a dilute bleach solution, and rinse with distilled water, then dry?

Then wash with soap and water once a week, before you fill and freeze it for the day.

Why would this information be relevant? What record are you trying to set? How hard is it to clean the thing and replace the water once in a while?
+1
Old 01-14-18, 03:07 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Are you interested in testing the maximum duration of freezing before you get a water-born GI infection? Why is this important?

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through if one already has a frozen container of water in the freezer. Assuming the water and container were both clean when first put in the freezer I can't see why they wouldn't still be clean many years later.
Old 01-14-18, 06:55 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through if one already has a frozen container of water in the freezer. Assuming the water and container were both clean when first put in the freezer I can't see why they wouldn't still be clean many years later.
Freezing the water does not kill the bacteria. The water placed in the bladder in not sterile in the first place.

https://askkaren.custhelp.com/app/an...ll-bacteria%3F
Old 01-15-18, 07:15 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Mulltiple freeze/thaw cycles (which is what the defrost function does), food contamination, contamination from your mouth if you don't wash the bottle before you fill it and put it in the freezer...

The point is, if you're concerned about bad GI bugs, you can take simple steps like washing with soap and water. Why depend upon something remaining safe over a year in the freezer?
Old 01-15-18, 07:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Microbes can grow in the freezer.

The generally accepted practice for long term food storage is to keep the freezer at 0°F or lower. Microbes are inactive at 0°F or lower but will become active above this temperature. If you don't know the temperature of your freezer then assume that microbe growth is a possibility.

This isn't something I made up but comes from the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service.
The bottom line for safety is to clean water bladders and hoses, and especially the mouthpiece frequently. A spoon full of bleach in water does the trick.

-Tim-
Old 01-15-18, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Freezer time limits are for food. It's hard to avoid "freezer burn" which is the loss of water content and oxidation in the food. Your bag of water won't go bad (but it might shrink slightly!)
"Freezer burn" is the loss of water through sublimation. Basically, the water in meats (mostly) goes from the solid state to the vapor state without having to pass through the liquid phase. The water then condenses on the inside of the storage container but can't get back into the frozen item. The thaw/freeze cycle used in frost-free freezers to avoid ice build up also contributes to the sublimation process.

That said, water in a container won't be lost. It just condenses within the container and melts back into the bag when the bag is thawed.

The water in freezer-burned meats isn't lost either. It just condenses on the inside of the wrapper if the wrapper is impermeable to water. However when the frozen meat is thawed the water stays out of the meat.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-15-18, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by keyven
I generally keep my bladder in there for a week or two max but it's been several months since I last used it - should I take it out and wash it or leave it?

Would there a rough time limit before it becomes theoretically unsafe to drink from - like water that has been frozen for a year or so?

Thanks for any advice!
Time limit on frozen water being unsafe to drink? 20,000 to 2 million years, roughly. And the 2 million year limit is probably because you won't find any glaciers older than that.

Realistially, it shouldn't matter. Freezing isn't conducive to microgrowth...not that there is much in the way of microbes in treated water. Freezing also slows down any possible chemical reactions as well. But, again, there's not much going on chemically in the water to begin with.

Thaw it. Use it. Fill it. And use it again.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-15-18, 09:02 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Microbes can grow above 0°F.

Growth is certainly slowed but microbes are active above 0°.

I had a bag of Tyson chicken nuggets go bad in a freezer at about 15°F. The bag puffed up and smelled foul after approximately six months.

USDA recommends 0°F or lower for long term storage and complete deactivation of microbes.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...afety/CT_Index

-Tim-
Old 01-15-18, 09:06 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I use denture cleaners in my bladder. I never have any problems, buy cheap ones and put about four in the bladder and let sit a while, no taste and works well.
Old 01-15-18, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Microbes can grow above 0°F.

Growth is certainly slowed but microbes are active above 0°.

I had a bag of Tyson chicken nuggets go bad in a freezer at about 15°F. The bag puffed up and smelled foul after approximately six months.

USDA recommends 0°F or lower for long term storage and complete deactivation of microbes.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...afety/CT_Index

-Tim-
Most freezers average out to -17°C which is 0°F. There is a freeze/thaw cycle that your frostfree freezing goes throw where it cycles from -20°C to 0°c (-4°F to 32°F for the metrically challenged) over about a 10 hour cycle but that average is -17°C. If your "freezer" is averaging 15°F (-9°C), it was malfunctioning.

That said, there isn't much in treated domestic water that can go bad even in a 15°F freezer.

By the way, I had to actually measure the above because of an unexpected result on a storage experiment for work. I data logged freezers for over a week.

Old 01-16-18, 06:31 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Storing an empty water bladder in your freezer is a great idea. However, I'm really confused as to why you put it in there full of water? Empty it out next time.
Old 01-16-18, 10:56 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Storing an empty water bladder in your freezer is a great idea. However, I'm really confused as to why you put it in there full of water?
Probably because you want the bladder full of ice at the start of your next trip and may not be sure when that'll be. That way it's ready to go the moment you are. Better than telling your friend "I'd love to go with you, but I have to wait a few hours for this water to freeze."
Old 01-16-18, 12:58 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Probably because you want the bladder full of ice at the start of your next trip and may not be sure when that'll be. That way it's ready to go the moment you are. Better than telling your friend "I'd love to go with you, but I have to wait a few hours for this water to freeze."
Ah. Such concepts are alien to us here in the frozen north at this time of year.
Old 09-30-18, 04:22 AM
jitenshajin

Bikes: Far too many

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure the value of a bladder full of ice is when it's liquid water you need.
Old 10-01-18, 08:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think the bladder for my hydration pack has been in the freezer for almost 2 years without use. There have been multi-month periods it was in there in the past without issue. If I needed it, I would use it tomorrow without worrying about it.

It has only ever had water in it. If it had something that contained sugar, that would be different.
Old 10-02-18, 01:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Most freezers average out to -17°C which is 0°F. There is a freeze/thaw cycle that your frostfree freezing goes throw where it cycles from -20°C to 0°c (-4°F to 32°F for the metrically challenged) over about a 10 hour cycle but that average is -17°C. If your "freezer" is averaging 15°F (-9°C), it was malfunctioning.

That said, there isn't much in treated domestic water that can go bad even in a 15°F freezer.

By the way, I had to actually measure the above because of an unexpected result on a storage experiment for work. I data logged freezers for over a week.
...and bacteria and fungi don't grow in nutrient free environments, like clean water, and photosynthetic algae don't grow without light, but someone thinks they know more than you do, so suck it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.