Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It’s in France, not on this MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 12:52 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts

Yesterday while heading home on my local MUP, I almost had a collision. There’s a street crossing that normally goes pretty smoothly. The local drivers are careful and bikers mostly too. I was approaching southbound with the intention of turning left onto the street. I stuck out my left arm and I was about to turn and some cyclist was right there ripping by without any warning. I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.

As I cruised home pondering this occurance, I remembered. The Tour de France is on TV. I guess it’s a yearly thing. It makes my wish summer would be over so I can have the whole path to myself on a cold rainy day. Sigh.
Old 07-14-18, 01:55 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Do you use a helmet or glasses mount mirror? I realize you signalled, and that the other bike should have been expecting you to turn, but a mirror would help you make more informed decisions. But mirrors are no panacea. Despite my opsessive/compulsive mirror checking, I had a situation similar to yours a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see the bicyclist behind me in my mirror. I suspect he swung in around me from a side street in just such a way that I missed him, but as in your case, he should have seen me signal and slowed to allow it.
Old 07-14-18, 01:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That guy's a jerk and should have called out the pass. However, I never, ever assume I'm clear. Always, always, always shoulder check when making a lateral move, whether commuting or racing. No mirror necessary.

Last edited by caloso; 07-14-18 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 02:17 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
That jerk probably didn't wave either!
Old 07-14-18, 04:03 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Do you use a helmet or glasses mount mirror? I realize you signalled, and that the other bike should have been expecting you to turn, but a mirror would help you make more informed decisions. But mirrors are no panacea. Despite my opsessive/compulsive mirror checking, I had a situation similar to yours a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see the bicyclist behind me in my mirror. I suspect he swung in around me from a side street in just such a way that I missed him, but as in your case, he should have seen me signal and slowed to allow it.
Yeah, mirrors are great! Defensive biking at it's finest!

Sometimes people just make mistakes and get embarrassed then lash out. However, this guy sounds like he'd be a jerk even if he didn't have "Tour Fever".
Old 07-14-18, 05:33 PM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The overtaking cyclist was negligent in not alerting you that he was passing (verbal or bell) but you always have to shoulder check first before making a left hand turn and then signal.
Old 07-14-18, 05:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
i always ding ding or "on yer left" when going for a pass. It always catches them off guard & results in something negative from the situation.
Old 07-14-18, 05:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
However, I never, ever assume I'm clear. Always, always, always shoulder check when making a lateral move, whether commuting or racing. No mirror necessary.
Agreed 100%....I still shoulder check even if I am riding with a mirror. Maybe I am OCD about.
Old 07-14-18, 11:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
...I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.
You yelled at him. Mission accomplished.
Old 07-15-18, 12:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
cost of opportunity, you need a job, so you live there.
Old 07-15-18, 08:06 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
At one point in our weekly ride my wife and I need to turn left across oncoming riders and other riders gaining on us in order to leave the path and transition on to the street. It is basically a hair-pin turn so we are usually reducing our speed at the same time. My wife is not as confident on a bike as I am so she usually wants to make sure she has enough elbow room in order to make this turn. Many times there will be a large group of much more experienced riders coming up fast behind us and she had the tendency to tense up. We now have a routine where I will let her go in front of me and as I drop back I make sure that my arm is sticking straight out and I'll slowly but ever so slightly move towards the center of the path in order to discourage people behind us from trying to pass us as we slow down for the turn. I've found that although I may be slowing down a more "professional" group of riders that they respect that a clear signal was given with more than enough time to negotiate the slow down.
Old 07-15-18, 09:48 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Yesterday while heading home on my local MUP, I almost had a collision. There’s a street crossing that normally goes pretty smoothly. The local drivers are careful and bikers mostly too. I was approaching southbound with the intention of turning left onto the street. I stuck out my left arm and I was about to turn and some cyclist was right there ripping by without any warning. I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.

As I cruised home pondering this occurance, I remembered. The Tour de France is on TV. I guess it’s a yearly thing. It makes my wish summer would be over so I can have the whole path to myself on a cold rainy day. Sigh.
Based on what you said, he is in the right. The same holds for cars... whoever makes a left turn has to make sure the road is clear. You didn't use mirrors or look back. Signalling alone isn't a magic wand to clear the path for you.
when you drive a car on the right lan and want to move over to the left, you also have to make sure there is room. Your blinker is no legal requirement for cars on the left lane to yield to you.

That guy who passed you should for self-interest announced himself, or slowed down, but there was no legal obligation. It was your turn to yield.
Old 07-15-18, 10:04 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Based on what you said, he is in the right. The same holds for cars... whoever makes a left turn has to make sure the road is clear. You didn't use mirrors or look back. Signalling alone isn't a magic wand to clear the path for you.
when you drive a car on the right lan and want to move over to the left, you also have to make sure there is room. Your blinker is no legal requirement for cars on the left lane to yield to you.

That guy who passed you should for self-interest announced himself, or slowed down, but there was no legal obligation. It was your turn to yield.
I get what you're saying, but I stopped signaling to ask for permission long ago. When I signal it's an expression of intent. I intend to merge, don't be a dick.
Old 07-15-18, 10:35 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I ride daily, in Flatwoods Park, where several long distance world records were broken. It's a nicely paved, seven mile, one way, fairly wide, oval shaped path with no cross streets, no speed limit and no motorized traffic (other than the park rangers and authorized vehicles). It's the training site for the USF Cycling Team and countless triathletes in the area. Tour Fever at Flatwoods is a year around event. You just have to learn to get over what other riders do or don't do while you are riding on the same path as they are. I have learned that calling out to them for something did/didn't do isn't going to make them change any.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-15-18, 11:49 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
cost of opportunity, you need a job, so you live there.
Actually I was was born here and still live here. And I don’t have or need a job.
Old 07-15-18, 12:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It was yesterday. Let it go. You said something to the guy. That's enough. There are 8,657 things more important today.

Ten years ago I decided not to get upset over things I have no control over - easy to say but difficult in practice. How people ride their bikes or pass others is not within my control. I worry about how I ride because that is something I can control.

Kudos for having the presence of mind to realize he was there before it turned bad. My peripheral vision isn't what it used to be.

-Tim-
Old 07-15-18, 02:17 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

People are jerks. That is why you and only you are responsible for your safety. Never assume you have right of way.

Old 07-15-18, 09:29 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I was driving 80 miles today. Probably 100 such situations where someone didn't use blinker, or just cut me off and i had to use the brakes etc. i may have done some wrongs things too.
Somehow car drivers seem more relaxed and don't go to the internet to complain about every single instance.
Old 07-16-18, 08:10 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?”
Seems pretty rude of you not to answer his question.
Old 07-17-18, 06:53 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Next time, give him THE LOOK.

Old 07-17-18, 07:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That guy's a jerk and should have called out the pass. However, I never, ever assume I'm clear. Always, always, always shoulder check when making a lateral move, whether commuting or racing. No mirror necessary.
+1

Always check behind you before making a maneuver. As a fast rider, I rarely get passed, but I still check all the time. A defensive rider is aware of their surroundings at all times.

There many people that feel the bike trails are their private closed course, they are paththletes (AKA jerks).

Edit/afterthought - this issue has nothing to do with TdF, just like the Indianapolis 500 doesn't cause people to speed on the highway.
Old 07-17-18, 07:14 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I don't use a mirror (helmet or handlebar mounted) for this very reason.

It forces me to whip my head around and physically look. There is no replacement for looking. None. Not on a bike. Not in a car. If you're going to make a turn, look where you are going before changing your course.

That said, Speedy McClosePass mentioned in the OP is still a moron. But turning your head to look where you are going is basic Moron Defense.
Old 07-17-18, 07:14 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
There many people that feel the bike trails are their private closed course, they are paththletes (AKA jerks).
Pathletes!!

HAHAHAHA

I'm stealing that.
Old 07-17-18, 07:19 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Pathletes!!

HAHAHAHA

I'm stealing that.
I wish I could claim credit for this term ... but I stole it too!
Old 07-17-18, 07:23 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I don't use a mirror (helmet or handlebar mounted) for this very reason.

It forces me to whip my head around and physically look. There is no replacement for looking. None. Not on a bike. Not in a car. If you're going to make a turn, look where you are going before changing your course.

That said, Speedy McClosePass mentioned in the OP is still a moron. But turning your head to look where you are going is basic Moron Defense.
I always use my mirrors so I don't have to turn my head. It's hard for me to keep a straight line if I'm turning my head to look behind me. Plus, I have a wide enough field of view in the mirror I can see everything behind me, and all I have to do is turn my head back & forth slightly to see beyond the mirror's field of view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.