Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton 2014 M6R, Left shifter seems to be "locked up"

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 07:23 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure what happened exactly, but after about 2 months of not riding my B, I found the left shifter (the one that shifts between two gears) is firmly stuck and refuses to budge.

It was originally a 3-speed which I changed to a 6-speed in 2018. Never gave any hint of problem till now. The rest of the bike works perfectly.

Can anyone advise if there's any part I should look closer at? Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-08-20, 07:59 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The diagnosis can depend on the position in which the shifter is stuck. For now, I would look along the shift cable leading towards the pusher below the chainstay on the side of two cogs. It could be that the cable housing jumped out from a stop.
Old 04-10-20, 08:18 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
I'm not sure what happened exactly, but after about 2 months of not riding my B, I found the left shifter (the one that shifts between two gears) is firmly stuck and refuses to budge.
On which cog/sprocket is it stuck?

It's not uncommon for the derailleur ("chain pusher") to get stuck on the bigger one because of mud/crap. Happened to me after just one week of buying a Brompton new and riding it in heavy rain.