Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Relaxed Gravel Frame Sizing?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 05:02 PM
SLOTHLIFE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, new to the forum and looking at picking up a Breezer Radar Cafe size "medium" on OfferUp. The seat tube height is only listed as 51 cm. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam but in conventional road bike geometry I've always preferred a 56 frame. I've had a size L/58 Trek Crossrip that felt too big, but never tried a frame with such a short seat tube and relaxed top tube as the Breezer. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 04-22-23, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Seat tube height means nothing except for bikes with the old vintage geometry and a top tube that is horizontal. Frame stack and frame reach will give you more accurate ideas of how another bike will fit compared to a bike you have. However you have to know those measurements for the bike you have. Many manufacturer's now give the effective top tube length which is the imaginary length of what your top tube would be if it was horizontal. That also helps you guesstimate your fit.

They won't always yield the exact same fit though. Other things go into the fit too. Seat tube angle, head tube angle, BB drop and more. As well, differences of crank length, handlebar width, wheel base and other things that change between the different sizes can make the bike both fit and feel like it handles differently between the sizes.

For me it's really hard to tell someone what bike they need to get. It's easier to suggest what you should do or change once you actually have a bike and are having a issue. So get the bike that seems to fit you best. And try them out with actual miles of riding if they will let you. A ride around the parking lot isn't a good test.

Also don't let the size of your previous bike you like be the only size you consider. Sizes are not standardized from one manufacturer to the next or even between different models of the same brand. So try different sizes of each model when you can.

I use to like big frames that were over size for me. They rode great and very stable on the road. But now I like the sportier and responsive handling of smaller frames that are more the proper size for me.

Another thing I'd consider when buying a bike is if there are authorized dealers of that brand in my area. Even though I DIY virtually everything on my bike, I like knowing that there is a dealer nearby.

Welcome to BF.
Old 04-22-23, 10:31 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Exactly what is a "relaxed" top tube?
I can see how the 58 Crossrip might be too big in both the standover and reach departments. Trek designates 58 as Extra Large, which you are definitely not. I'm about the same height and ride 58 cm Treks, but I have inordinately long arms and legs.

I'm looking at the Breezer geometry and seeing that the total cockpit length (virtual seat tube + stem length) of the Large Breezer is 69 cm. That's pretty long for a normally proportioned six-footer who isn't a racer. The Medium would bring that it in by 1 cm. Your legs aren't particularly long, so the 3 cm difference in seat tube should be negligible. Unless you need the extra 1.5 cm in head tube height, I'm inclined to say the medium should work. If at all possible, though, I would recommend test riding both sizes.
Old 04-28-23, 10:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Exactly what is a "relaxed" top tube?
I can see how the 58 Crossrip might be too big in both the standover and reach departments. Trek designates 58 as Extra Large, which you are definitely not. I'm about the same height and ride 58 cm Treks, but I have inordinately long arms and legs.

I'm looking at the Breezer geometry and seeing that the total cockpit length (virtual seat tube + stem length) of the Large Breezer is 69 cm. That's pretty long for a normally proportioned six-footer who isn't a racer. The Medium would bring that it in by 1 cm. Your legs aren't particularly long, so the 3 cm difference in seat tube should be negligible. Unless you need the extra 1.5 cm in head tube height, I'm inclined to say the medium should work. If at all possible, though, I would recommend test riding both sizes.
Yeah, those top tubes seem super long. Wassup with that.
Old 04-29-23, 07:54 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
6' tall with a 32" inseam on a bike listed as a 51cm seems wrong, that frame is almost certainly too small...although it would be more instructive to know what the top tube (either measured, or "effective") length is.

For comparison: I'm 6' tall with a 32.5" inseam (I can wear either 32" or 33" jeans) and all my bikes have an effective top tube length of between 56 and 58cm, and an actual seat tube length of 54cm or greater.

otoh, one LBS owner suggested to me that "you want to size down for gravel riding" and I took his advice when I bought my cyclocross bike; it's the smallest frame in my collection, and yet it feels like it fits perfectly when I'm riding. But it's still got a 54cm seat tube.
Old 04-29-23, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
For comparison: I'm 6' tall with a 32.5" inseam (I can wear either 32" or 33" jeans) and all my bikes have an effective top tube length of between 56 and 58cm, and an actual seat tube length of 54cm or greater.
FYI,

The bike the OP ask about has a 585 mm effective top tube length in the medium size or what they say has a 51 cm long seat tube length.

It's a good example of the reason seat tube length shouldn't be used when trying compare bikes from different manufacturers and even from one model to another.

Radar Café – Breezer Bikes USA
Old 04-29-23, 02:07 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The bike the OP ask about has a 585 mm effective top tube length in the medium size or what they say has a 51 cm long seat tube length.
Good lord, so clearly not the archetypal "square" frame!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 04-30-23, 12:16 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Yeah, those top tubes seem super long. Wassup with that.
I was wondering, too. Only the designers know for sure, but here's my hypothesis. Breezer is historically a mountain bike company. The current trend in MTB design is to extend the top tube and pair it with a super short stem. Breezer probably designed this model starting with an XC geometry, the longest and lowest for a MTB, and put a longer road-ish stem on it, forgetting that most road and gravel handlebars already add 7-8cm of reach. Add the extension of dual-control levers, especially Shimano STIs, and that's a lot of stretch.

The total cockpit length of the Large Breezer, out of the carton, is 69 cm, the same as my 58 cm Madone with a 12 cm stem. Out of the carton, the 58 Madone comes with an 11 cm stem. For most non-racing 6-footers, 69 cm is too much reach. It works for me because of good posture and long arms, but even I'd pull it in a centimeter or so for a dedicated gravel or touring bike.
Likes For oldbobcat: