Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for high quality, but quiet ss freewheel.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 02:42 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts

Title says it. Looking for 17 or 18t freewheel that is quiet while coasting, but higher quality than Shimano sf1200. White is quality, though loud. Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-24, 03:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Quiet, unsure? Most of the quality ones are going to be louder because of how they work. More points of engagement generally leads to a higher quality freewheel but those extra points of engagement tend to add some noise. I would have to say White Industries is the way to go.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-11-24, 03:52 PM
1970bikes

Bikes: 81 Eddy Merckx, 77 Kessels Merckx, 78 De Rosa, 78 Gazelle, 1973 Hillman Track Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Hmmmm,
I have a Suntour Winner Pro 6 speed cluster that is super quiet as I presume the PO stuffed it full of grease.
This is despite Suntour warning specifically not to do this.

Works fine however and is a real 'stealth mode' bit of kit.

I have no intention of doing this to any more freewheels.

Last edited by 1970bikes; 02-11-24 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Poor wording
Likes For 1970bikes:
Old 02-13-24, 07:02 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Keeping a freewheel lubed with the correct oil will help keep the noise down both from the pawls and wear over time. They should only have a good thick oil in them like a hypoid gear oil or Phil Wood Tenacious. A loud freewheel tends to indicate a dry freewheel, regardless of brand name. Shimano have seemed to be stingy on the lubricants in recent years, I've seen a couple brand new hubs with nearly dry balls. A good bit of thick oil might calm that Shimano down.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-13-24, 01:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
What I've done to quiet freewheels is to run oil into the body until it comes out the other side. Wipe off the excess, and then seal the gap between the inner and outer freewheel body with a heavy grease. You're not packing the grease into the freewheel, just working it into the gap to seal the oil inside. Seal both sides of the freewheel this way. It's not permanent, but you can get several weeks or even months of silent running, after which you just repeat the process.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-13-24, 02:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What I've done to quiet freewheels is to run oil into the body until it comes out the other side. Wipe off the excess, and then seal the gap between the inner and outer freewheel body with a heavy grease. You're not packing the grease into the freewheel, just working it into the gap to seal the oil inside. Seal both sides of the freewheel this way. It's not permanent, but you can get several weeks or even months of silent running, after which you just repeat the process.
+1 I used to dissemble my Winner FWs, pack the bearings in grease and lightly grease the pawls. Add oil as per your method as needed. THey were dead silent until the oil washed the grease away. (I saw no reason to advertise to hard working competitors in a race that I was coasting (or if I cught them from behind, that I was there).
Likes For 79pmooney: