Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do I need to use a dust cap?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 04:06 AM
Alex Reed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I know that because of the dust cap, the tire valve will not fill up with mud. But, I don't bike on mud trails.
So, do I need to use a dust cap on my tire valve? Is it necessary?
Old 03-25-24, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Reed
I know that because of the dust cap, the tire valve will not fill up with mud. But, I don't bike on mud trails.
So, do I need to use a dust cap on my tire valve? Is it necessary?
It depends on the valve. If Presta then no, if Schrader then yes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-25-24, 05:40 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I never use a cap on my Presta wheels.

The spare tube in my saddle bag has one, to protect the folded tube. And, I wrap the folded tube in a piece of heavy 4 mil plastic sheet or Tyvek. I've seen a two different cyclists have a second flat tire from the spare tube getting worn along a folded edge after months in the saddle bag.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-25-24, 05:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I never use dust caps. I suppose it's true that it can prevent dust from entering the valve stem, but it's also true that it keeps elephants out. I haven't had a problem with either.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-25-24, 06:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by noglider
I never use dust caps. I suppose it's true that it can prevent dust from entering the valve stem, but it's also true that it keeps elephants out. I haven't had a problem with either.
Elephants are rarely a problem in valves. Dust and mud in a Schrader valve could potentially be a show stopper. Presta valves are not really vulnerable to dust with their screw top effectively sealing the stem. But I do tend to use caps until I eventually lose them!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-25-24, 06:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Yes, it could be a problem, but has anyone you know ever had the problem?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-25-24, 06:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Depends on how many miles you should ride in a day.
Old 03-25-24, 07:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I don't like the idea of dirt getting down in them. Sure presta's are a little more resistant since you can snug them up with the little nut. But I still keep the plastic cap on both presta and Schrader valves. If I happened to lose it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old 03-25-24, 07:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I've been known to blow a bit of air into a tube before installing it into a tire -- like when fixing a flat. I figure the dust cap keeps some of the common road schmuck off the part of the valve I'm blowing on.

But, you know, some people find dust caps terribly troublesome. If you're one of those, do not use them!
Old 03-25-24, 08:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
No you dont need them. Yes they are largely a worthless component in 99.5% of riding. But in that other .5%, the top could bend due to the bike falling over or some other odd incident and it then becomes really difficult to use the valve core.
I dont have caps on most of my bikes. I do have em on 3 bikes- 2 of the bikes have caps because the caps are anodized the same color as the frames...so its vanity. The other bike that has em is my gravel bike and the caps do help keep dust from accumulating, but the caps I use also have a built in core remover so its sort of a multitool- both vanity bling and a tool if ever needed. I have never needed the core remover for me, but I have used it during a ride to replace a valve core for someone else.

https://www.amazon.com/Muc-Off-Orang...08Y941ZG5?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Juicy...8C0PBEE2Z&th=1
Old 03-25-24, 02:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've been known to blow a bit of air into a tube before installing it into a tire -- like when fixing a flat. I figure the dust cap keeps some of the common road schmuck off the part of the valve I'm blowing on.

But, you know, some people find dust caps terribly troublesome. If you're one of those, do not use them!
I don't think that's the Yiddish word you're groping for. Maybe you meant to say schmutz which means dirt. Schmuck means male reproductive gland (and also jerk).

Likes For noglider:
Old 03-25-24, 03:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I don't think that's the Yiddish word you're groping for. Maybe you meant to say schmutz which means dirt. Schmuck means male reproductive gland (and also jerk).
It’s really ornament, adornment, or piece of jewelry in German, which is why the Yiddish euphemism is so funny.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-25-24, 04:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I've been without caps on my presta valves, since before there were clipless pedals. This has included riding and racing road, MTB, CX, and gravel. Zero is how many times I have had a valve issue due to mud, dirt, or dust getting in the valve from the outside. These days, a more common issue is the valve getting plugged with dried sealant from the inside.
Old 03-25-24, 05:18 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I threw them away for 59 years. Then on year 60 I started using them! Why? Last summer I had a troublesome leak to find on a tubed tire. I finally discovered the presta valve to be leaking after putting the tube under water. I replaced & tightened the valve core but just to be sure I put the caps on both tubes tightly in case they were still seeping.
Old 03-25-24, 05:38 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Larry, is that you?
Old 03-25-24, 06:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I do have a custom made valve caps on my Schrader valves (I really only have 3) they are made from .40 S&W shells glued to plastic caps because they look cool and I had the equipment so why pay $10+ for someone else to do it when I can do hand made ones from ones I emptied. My presta stuff usually doesn't have a cap some do but most don't I got a couple nice anodized ones on some of my road stuff but mostly without though I probably have a bike or two that has only one valve cap because if it brakes or I forget to put it on I don't bother.

For schrader yes all the time valve caps and probably also for Woods/Dunlop valves (though my experience with them is limited and I have never not put a cap back on) but presta they are not needed at all. One could argue you don't really need them on Schrader but it is a free piece at a shop and they weigh nothing so there is really no downside plus you can make or buy some cool ones out there.
Old 03-25-24, 07:01 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I use them mostly to protect the head on my pumps. Although dirt and grit on the outside of the valve won’t impact the valve inside, it can potentially wear the rubber seal on the pump head. Keeping it clean seems like it has no downside, unless you’re trying to follow the stupid cycling Illuminati rules of coolness, or think a couple grams makes any difference.
Old 03-25-24, 07:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
To me, presta caps are small labor devices. Labor to remove, labor to replace and very likely, labor to find that silly little thing you tool off to repair that flat. THe way to keep that labor small? Do the direct brand new tube to cap jar transfer when you take that tube out of the box. (And no small plastic bits to rattle around a bird's guts; probably not improving his life experience.)
Old 03-25-24, 07:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Schrader valve? Yes. Once any dirt gets in around the valve stem, it can get in when you add air, and it can get into the valve itself causing it to leak. It happens often on cars. I have seen it many times. Is it a huge worry for me on a bicycle? No, not really, but I should probably take better care.
Old 03-25-24, 07:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I recall reading years ago on sheldon brown's site that a presta cap could be chopped and used as a presta/shrader adapter. I actually used that a few weeks ago, enabling me to mount a tubeless tire at the office using an air compressor.

Ultimately the repair failed for other reasons, but technically it's a possible reason to carry a presta cap (and a blade).

It's a hack. I like hacks.
Old 03-26-24, 05:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by phughes
Schrader valve? Yes. Once any dirt gets in around the valve stem, it can get in when you add air, and it can get into the valve itself causing it to leak. It happens often on cars. I have seen it many times. Is it a huge worry for me on a bicycle? No, not really, but I should probably take better care.
I asked if it has ever happened, and you told me what it would be like if it did happen. So far, the answer is no, it hasn't happened on a bike.

Cars go faster and farther, so I use valve caps there.

When I was a bike shop mechanic, I used valve caps only because customers think the job isn't done unless the caps are there. I believe they don't help anything at all. Of course, they don't hurt anything, either except, as @79pmooney points out, they are extra work.

Old 03-26-24, 05:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
How about in Automotive applications? Do cars have them and how about those big 18 wheelers that carry expensive cargo?

This may be a poor analogy, still...

And those pesky injury accident attorneys on major networks - advertisements. I wonder if they ever had to claim that something happened and part of the blame was the proper upkeep of the vehicle.
Old 03-26-24, 06:05 AM
PeteHski

I asked if it has ever happened, and you told me what it would be like if it did happen. So far, the answer is no, it hasn't happened on a bike.

Cars go faster and farther, so I use valve caps there.

When I was a bike shop mechanic, I used valve caps only because customers think the job isn't done unless the caps are there. I believe they don't help anything at all. Of course, they don't hurt anything, either except, as @79pmooney points out, they are extra work.
With Schrader valves, there is a real chance that you could get a slow leak with build up of dust and debris in the open valve. That’s why car tyres always have them fitted. With Presta valves you don’t have this same risk and therefore dust caps are not important.
Old 03-26-24, 06:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by PeteHski
With Schrader valves, there is a real chance that you could get a slow leak with build up of dust and debris in the open valve. That’s why car tyres always have them fitted. With Presta valves you don’t have this same risk and therefore dust caps are not important.
Oy vey.

Again, that's hypothetical.

I see I'm not succeeding at asking a question clearly.

Has anyone seen any of this happen on a bicycle?

Please answer the question I ask, not the one you want to answer. If you use words such as could, would, or should, you're not doing it right.

Old 03-26-24, 09:09 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Oh, now you want to get logical by referencing the real world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.