Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why the belief that MUPs and Bike Paths are Unsafe

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 09:48 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard it on this forum a few times that MUPs/Bike-paths are unsafe or at least less safe than the road.

I don't understand this argument? I've traveled 1000s of miles on a bike path and always felt at ease. On the road however, I've had a few near misses and don't feel quite a ease.
Old 11-03-16, 09:59 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I will not use a MUP when it is busy. People stopping and turning without looking. People walking in a group and taking up the whole width. Dogs on leashes but not healing, thus taking up the whole path. Then there is the fact that if it is busy you can't ride fast. So for those reasons I prefer the road. Now this time of the year or early spring they are fine. IMO.
Old 11-04-16, 12:05 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Feelings do not mean real safety.

I have a few hundred thousand miles of cycling that includes road and bike paths.

Only serious injury occurred on the bike path due to runners.
Old 11-04-16, 04:18 AM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This "belief" is well founded in fact. Multiple studies have shown that mile-per-mile, MUP riding is more dangerous. Much of the danger is from the increased number of bike-car intersections.

Your greater sense of safety on a path is probably more a result of a lack of education on how to properly ride on a road than anything else. I would suggest a Cycling Savvy or Bike Safety 1 class for you; this will help you overcome your fear of riding in a venue more suited to it.
Old 11-04-16, 04:50 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
I've complained about MUPs in the past here and the safety issue, based on my riding on them in the Washington D.C. area, but I never said they were less safe than the road. It's really difficult to compare the two. For kids, I do believe the MUPs are safer, but for people like me (kind of a lancewannabe) I feel safer on the roads. I've been riding on the roads for over 30 years, so I'm like a wild animal that can't be caged. MUPs being the metaphor for a cage.

The problem with MUPs is that you get a lot of lancewannabes riding on paths that have too much varied traffic doing other activities. MUPs in the DC area are not that wide and they don't afford great visibility, a lot of twists and turns, yet these lancewannabes go zipping thru...it's crazy.

The little time I have spent on MUPs, I've witnessed a couple accidents, all from people going way too fast. I personally don't ride fast on MUPs, but I do on the roads.
Old 11-04-16, 05:38 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Feelings do not mean real safety.

I have a few hundred thousand miles of cycling that includes road and bike paths.

Only serious injury occurred on the bike path due to runners.
Oh please. One anecdote. Care to elaborate?

-mr. bill
Old 11-04-16, 05:42 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
This "belief" is well founded in fact. Multiple studies have shown....
Cite them. It shouldn't take long. There are only a few.

ps. Many MUPS have fewer bike-care intersections than alternative road routes.

pps. Isn't there a whole subforum where cyclists fare better...?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-04-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 05:56 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
I suspect that the stigma against MUPs here on the forum is based on the fact that the active members tend to be active riders. MUPs are unsuited for faster riders because the are too many surprises in the form of pedestrians, children, dogs, etc.

It also depends on how you define safety. while one may be more likely to crash on an MUP and suffer minor injuries, traffic collisions on the roads are more likely to cause more serious injuries or death.

My take is that, if your skill and comfort level has you preferring MUPs, you shouldn't let anyone talk you out of it. OTOH faster riders who are comfortable in traffic will probably prefer the road.

I have 50+years experience riding roads and also spend some time on local MUPs, and feel that the MUP is marginally safer, but slower and often more frustrating.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-04-16, 06:05 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
MUP's are safe if you expect others users to always do the unexpected...
Old 11-04-16, 06:27 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I suspect that the stigma against MUPs here on the forum is based on the fact that the active members tend to be active riders. MUPs are unsuited for faster riders because the are too many surprises in the form of pedestrians, children, dogs, etc.

It also depends on how you define safety. while one may be more likely to crash on an MUP and suffer minor injuries, traffic collisions on the roads are more likely to cause more serious injuries or death.

My take is that, if your skill and comfort level has you preferring MUPs, you shouldn't let anyone talk you out of it. OTOH faster riders who are comfortable in traffic will probably prefer the road.

I have 50+years experience riding roads and also spend some time on local MUPs, and feel that the MUP is marginally safer, but slower and often more frustrating.
Kids/dogs etc are only part of it.

Every time I've been hit by a car? On an MUP that crosses a driveway be it residential/commercial. Here lots of miles of divided MUP double as "sidewalks" following along roads. Drivers gun their engines to get into traffic and don't watch where they are going or if anyone is there. WHAMMO. Pedestrians don't bite it, because pedestrians are a very rare thing and stick to the wooded bits.

Auto drivers pay more attention when they are ON roads...as opposed to when they are getting ONTO roads.

Originally Posted by NYMXer

More like...do the most stupid thing imaginable...plan for it you'll be safer, and very seldom surprised.

Always expect dog owners to barely control their dog. Expect 50' long black elastic leashes (that are invisible) on every dog. Expect parents to walk at the edge and leave their kids hovering on the dotted line. Expect no one to understand what "on your left" or "passing left" means. Expect everyone to be a smartphone zombie. Expect people to screwup directional right-of-way.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 11-04-16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 06:52 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It depends on the bike path. There are perfectly good bike paths. But there are bike paths that are never maintained and are full of debris and broken glass. And there are bike paths that are designed so badly that you suspect that the engineer was actually trying to murder cyclists.
Old 11-04-16, 06:57 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
Oh, like drivers on the road...
Old 11-04-16, 07:00 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
It depends on the bike path. There are perfectly good bike paths. But there are bike paths that are never maintained and are full of debris and broken glass. And there are bike paths that are designed so badly that you suspect that the engineer was actually trying to murder cyclists.
Exactly...

Also the "danger" that is often mentioned is falling and skinning knees/hands... And of course intersections, where one leaves the actual MUP and has to ride across the street... perhaps at an unsigned intersection, or poorly designed intersection midstreet.

But one has to ask, where are cyclists killed... streets or MUPs?
Old 11-04-16, 07:03 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I don't think they are particularly unsafe, but you can't ride a crowded MUP like you do on an open road. Having said that the most violent accident I had was about this time last year when a lady cyclist on the wrong side of the MUP coming around a blind corner broadsided me. Messed up my left leg for a month. I was more damaged than the time I got hit by a car.
Old 11-04-16, 07:16 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
This. Just like roads, paths come in all different varieties, one must use sense as to which make sense and which do not. The ones I generally ride are old rail trails, which cross another road or driveway at most once a mile, and are rather rural and only heavily used on the quarter mile or so each side of a parking area. They are far safer than riding on any of the roads they run near, and fast group rides are safe and a common sight. Lots of fun when you hit one at a road crossing, though, and you have twenty bikes coming at you and you trying to go the other way, all navigating the stupid center island.

That said, there is a bike route connector that runs between two of them that is so horrible, I ride the five lane road it directly parallels instead. Disheveled concrete slabs, all sorts of debris, generally a few cars parked in driveways across it, far easier to take the road.
Old 11-04-16, 07:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
FWIW I can get on the streets and just go. Keep an eye out for dangerous drivers and that's it. On the MUP, even without street intersections and when it's not crowded, I have to be constantly on guard against whatever might be happening around the next corner. It's far less predictable with more immediate and more frequent dangers.

The streets pose greater risk of severe injury, but the MUPS (my Greenway anyway) is more risky in general.
Old 11-04-16, 07:48 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MUPs are very safe except when bicycles are riding them in large groups. They tend to mindlessly pass as a group, and if your MUP has twisty bits, bluff switchbacks and bridges, it can be exceptionally dangerous.
Old 11-04-16, 07:59 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I guess I'm spoiled-- the river trails and rail trails around here were clearly designed with bicycles in mind, and feature, long, uninterrupted stretches where joggers, strollers, and dog-walkers are simply not present. On a Sunday morning, the only risk is the cycling equivalent of "Sunday drivers," who upon hearing "on your left," invariably swerve to the left.

But in many, many miles on trails, I've never been close-passed by an SUV, or right hooked by some guy who is incapable of waiting 5 seconds to make his turn into the Starbucks drive-thru. Say what you will, find whatever study you want, a MUP simply cannot be as dangerous as a roadway, because there are no cars on it. If you run into a jogger or hit an invisible leash on the trail, I'm sorry, but that's your fault. It's called traveling too fast for conditions. IMO, 99.5% of hazards encountered on the trail are manageable and avoidable (I give that half a percent to getting speared by a Tri-hard or having some sort of wild critter collide with you.) On the open road, without regard to how careful and observant you might be, there's always the chance-- no matter how remote-- that someone is simply going to run you over.
Old 11-04-16, 07:59 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MUP's in my area are heavily used, and cross multiple municipal streets. Seem to be safe to me.

Having written that, two cyclists, also members of my local club, experienced falls on MUP's this year, resulting in significant injury to both.
Old 11-04-16, 08:23 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
The MUP's in my area are heavily used, and cross multiple municipal streets. Seem to be safe to me.

Having written that, two cyclists, also members of my local club, experienced falls on MUP's this year, resulting in significant injury to both.
Such as what, road rash, or actual broken bones.
Old 11-04-16, 08:47 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Riding on the roads vs. MUPs involve different sorts of risks. On the road, your primary risks are inattentive, reckless and drunken drivers. You can minimize those risks by selecting safer routes, wearing bright clothes and using a good light system. However, the consequences can be serious if someone runs into you.

On the MUPs, your primary risks are inattentive and careless walkers, runners, children, skaters and other cyclists. You can minimize those risks by using a bell, slowing down when passing or approaching other trail users, and riding at a speed that is safe for the trail conditions and traffic. You could very well be at a great risk of being involved in a crash while riding on a MUP, however, you are probably much less likely to receive serious injuries than if hit by a car (assuming that you wear a helmet).
Old 11-04-16, 09:17 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For every safety-thing, there will be people arguing that it's unsafe.
Old 11-04-16, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
He's really got you guys going.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-04-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 11:23 AM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Such as what, road rash, or actual broken bones.
Broken bones requiring surgical attention. Significant (4 -10 months) downtime, including rehab.

ETA: First incident? Man made change to the trail as a speed bump was added. Rider, having ridden the trail numerous times, was unaware of the change and unfortunately encountered the bump in midst of taking a sip from the water bottle.

2nd incident? Downed log in trail, immediately after curve. 15 mph - 0 mph almost instantly.

Last edited by jeichelberg87; 11-04-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 11:29 AM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Exactly...

Also the "danger" that is often mentioned is falling and skinning knees/hands... And of course intersections, where one leaves the actual MUP and has to ride across the street... perhaps at an unsigned intersection, or poorly designed intersection midstreet.

But one has to ask, where are cyclists killed... streets or MUPs?
Cyclists die all over. Be specific. What do you mean by killed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.