Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggested Destinations?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Suggested Destinations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 06:46 AM
BillR2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggested Destinations?

I'm looking for a driveable location from Boston where I can go and do a week of 50ish mile road rides while staying in one hotel. Dayton seems an odd but noteworthy candidate - see www.miamivalleytrails.org/. Others?
Old 06-12-17, 01:08 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Take a look at the Finger Lake region NY.
Old 06-12-17, 01:14 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll vouch for Dayton. I used to volunteer with Friends of the Little Miami State Park. The park is a rails-to-trails conversion, 66 feet wide and 78 miles long! Also look at Xenia, OH, where 4-5 trails converge on a former rail freightyard. Not all the trails are as pretty as Little Miami - just fields and small towns.

Check out Ohio Bikeways for more ideas. The entire state is more bike-friendly than many know.

Edit: Looks like Boston is a 12-13 hour drive to Dayton. I'm not sure I'd drive 1-2 days each way unless I could get in 5 days of biking :-) You might want to post in the Regional section, soliciting PA and DELMARVA options.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Last edited by SloButWide; 06-12-17 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 05:47 PM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I sure wouldn't drive to Ohio from Boston with VT & NH a short ways away. Each to his/her own obviously, but much better cycling IMHO in New England. In VT, for instance, base out of Middlebury, VT and you have flatter Champlain Valley rides, gap rides in the Green Mtns and possibilities to get over to NY and back on ferries on Lake Champlain
Old 06-12-17, 05:57 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. Driving all that way to ride just 50 miles? That really isn't even a tour. It is a day ride. I am sure there are lots of places right around Boston. Delaware River area for one. It is beautiful there. A whole lot prettier than Dayton.

Though Dayton does have the air museum which is well worth seeing.
Old 06-12-17, 07:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Albany, NY.
Old 06-12-17, 10:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Belgium.
Old 06-13-17, 04:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BillR2
I'm looking for a driveable location from Boston where I can go and do a week of 50ish mile road rides while staying in one hotel. Dayton seems an odd but noteworthy candidate - see www.miamivalleytrails.org/.Others?
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Yeah I don't get it. Driving all that way to ride just 50 miles? That really isn't even a tour. It is a day ride. I am sure there are lots of places right around Boston. Delaware River area for one. It is beautiful there. A whole lot prettier than Dayton.

Though Dayton does have the air museum which is well worth seeing.
Do you live in Boston, and have you done much riding around here? I have previously posted to a few open-ended requests for destinations:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days

It m
ay seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great.One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth…
Other than Metro Boston, my wife and I have toured in the Maritime Provinces (Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island), Vermont and New Hampshire, Cape Cod and Cape Ann, and the DelMarVa Peninsula. Other nearby getaways I would consider, closer than Dayton Ohio, would be Rhode Island and the Connecticut shoreline, exurban Long Island and/or New Jersey, and DC/Virginia.

About as far as Dayton,
FWIW,after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including ampgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist).

BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-13-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 10:05 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Belgium.
Assuming you mean Belgium, Wisconsin, which is drivable, but pretty far from Boston. What's there of interest?
Old 06-13-17, 10:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nope, The country.. Antwerp, Bruges, Ypres, Kortrijk, Liege, the Ardennes .
Old 06-13-17, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Yeah I don't get it. Driving all that way to ride just 50 miles?

Um...He wants to do a week's worth of 50 mile-ish rides.

OP: Second the Finger Lakes and somewhere like Middlebury or Burlington, VT.
Old 06-13-17, 11:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I just recalled that a while back I replied to this thread about a couple of Ohio tours. My family is in Michigan, so a combined organized bike tour and family visit intrigues me.
Originally Posted by DougG
I'm not shilling for this outfit and am posting this for my own benefit to avoid cancellation, but I have done two tours with this small outfit and have found then to be outstanding in all regards.

Anyway, this tour goes from Cleveland to Columbus,mostly on paved trails except for the Cuyahoga canal towpath portion and some road sections. It looks like a lot of fun and not hilly like a few of their other tours (I recommend thei rAmish Country tour if you like hills!). Anyway, here's the link: Midwest Cycling Vacations:Bicycle Tours in Ohio - Buckeye Country Roads Bicycle...
I have heard good things about GOBA (Greater Ohio Bike Adventure), and I was seriously considering doing it. It offers camping / gym floor accommodations, but in previous years had a nicely coordinated Motel package. This year that service was discontinued.

For
a 600+ mile drive from Boston, I would want a deluxe experience. And that Buckeye Tour sounds just right. Not this year but I wil llook for it in the future.
Old 06-13-17, 01:49 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
New England is awesome for pedaling. As said, up by say Burlington VT. Drive to OH? Can't imagine. Drive 3-4 hrs and be done with it. I've toured southern NH, around Winnipesaukee, around the Quabbin, Cape Cod. Done Maine? Beer and food for the win!
Old 06-13-17, 03:18 PM
BillR2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

To clarify, my goal is a place near Boston where we can rent a hotel room for a week, not carry our stuff or use our car, and do different 50ish mile rides on paved trails / quiet roads each day.

I've looked at Finger Lakes, Burlington, RI, and Middlebury but they seem to be short trails and / or unpaved. Am I missing it?

And yes, I've done many of the rides in and around Boston. They're great but we want to get away.
Old 06-14-17, 06:00 AM
indyfabz

There is plenty of good road riding on quiet roads in the Burlington area and in the Finger Lakes.

Also, look up the Bon Ton Roulet, which is an organized ride in the Finger Lakes in July. It may have indoor stay options at colleges each night this year, with only a few moving days. The even has been moving in that direction over the years.
Old 06-14-17, 06:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'm looking for a driveable location from Boston where I can go and do a week of 50ish mile road rides while staying in one hotel. Dayton seems an odd but noteworthy candidate - see www.miamivalleytrails.org/. Others?
if you stay in Burlignton VT you can bike to Montreal. but it's 150 miles so you can hit a cpl B&Bs along the way & carry bare essentials. met a bunch of guys, at our hotel in Burly, from there that had just ridden it in one day. they were a tough bunch but totally happy (aka wet & dirty)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-14-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-14-17, 08:49 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
First you wrote:

I'm looking for a driveable location from Boston where I can go and do a week of 50ish mile road rides while staying in one hotel.
Emphasis mine on "road rides".

But then you later wrote:
and do different 50ish mile rides on paved trails / quiet roads each day.
I've looked at Finger Lakes, Burlington, RI, and Middlebury but they seem to be short trails and / or unpaved. Am I missing it?
Again, emphasis mine on "but they seem to be short trails and/or unpaved". It now sounds like you want to ride mainly on paved trails as opposed to roads. If that's the case, you should have made it clear in your initial post. If that's not the case, I would also recommend the Finger Lakes, as well as the Hudson valley around New Paltz. Both areas have quiet roads.
Old 06-14-17, 09:29 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It seems to me you could chose just about any point northwest of the Northeast Megalopolis. So, anywhere along the left edge of this map, or anywhere off its left edge:

With that in mind, I would look for a place that lies between two or three different environmental areas. For example, I think you could find a place along the Erie Canal from which you could ride the canal, one day, up into the Adirondacks another day, down into the leatherstocking region another day, and then decide which you liked best for the remaining days. Or chose a spot somewhere a bit south of there and swap the Adirondacks for the Catskills. And so on. I think you have to know what kind of riding you want to do. I'd go for variety.
Old 06-14-17, 10:18 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

To clarify, my goal is a place near Boston where we can rent a hotel room for a week, not carry our stuff or use our car, and do different 50ish mile rides on paved trails / quiet roads each day.

And yes, I've done many of the rides in and around Boston. They're great but we want to get away.
Some clarity from you would be helpful. You are looking for road rides? Now you're thinking paved bike paths? Rail trails? Check out rails to trails .org.
Old 06-14-17, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

The trail north from Burlington is paved. Road some of it back in 2010 on ACA's Cycle Vermont trip. I think the Island Line Trail is as well.
Old 06-14-17, 11:29 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I live in SW Ohio / Northern KY.
I've ridden in the northern Finger Lakes area, in Vermont, and west central Virginia. All were very nice, with mostly quiet roads and interesting small towns. There's no need to just stay on the trails!

The Lake Champlain cross-lake trail is great, on an old railroad berm, rideable on a road bike. And Burlington had trails, too. It's hilly around there!

I looked at the western Erie Canal area, but haven't been there yet. It appears to have lots of interesting old canal towns, along with the usual midwest farms. The canal trail itself is part paved, part gravel.

I'd like to visit the southern Finger Lakes area, with more dramatic hills and valleys, and probably more forested than the farming region at the northern end of the lakes. I did like the historic towns located on the lakes.

~~~

After traveling, I really appreciate the local SW Ohio road riding. It's easy to do rides that see very few cars outside of commuting hours. And there's a lot of scenic roads, following creek valleys and woodlots, and passing interesting farm and small town architecture, along with the usual cornfields.

Ohio is a long trip from Boston, though. I'd say SW Ohio is "worth the drive", but I'm thinking more like 6 hours, not the 14 hours from Boston.

Ohio
Yes, Dayton - Xenia has a lot of trails. I haven't ridden on many of them, but some seem to be just paralleling a highway, with maybe a narrow line of trees. Not too interesting.

The Little Miami Trail from Cincinnati to Xenia is very scenic, mostly following a wooded river valley on an old railroad bed.

If you are traveling to this area, I'd suggest Cincinnati. There's lots to do here after your rides. Downtown's historic Over the Rhine neighborhood has block after block of 19th century storefronts and townhouses, with restaurants and brewpubs everywhere. the downtown itself is walkable, and the new riverfront parks are scenic and interesting. The new streetcar makes a loop through all this, and an all-day pass is just $2. Check out the hilltop views from the nearby Mt Adams neighborhood and Eden Park.

Ride the Little Miami Trail, and also get out on the country roads nearby. Cross the river to Kentucky if you like short, steep hills! Cincinnati also has a network of bike-only lanes on the city streets.

Riding from the city center, without driving 20 to 30 minutes, would either extend your mileage or limit some of the routes. It's possible to get to quiet country roads within 12 miles, but many of the best routes start 15 to 20 miles out of town.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-14-17 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 12:00 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Destinations
Keep the suggestions coming, I'm starting to plan for bike riding travel destinations this fall and in 2018.
Old 06-14-17, 02:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
the Cape is lovely in the fall. the CCRT is very peasant especially after the summer tourism season dies down a little. still lots to do in the fall
Old 06-14-17, 08:21 PM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Portland

I'm looking for a driveable location from Boston where I can go and do a week of 50ish mile road rides while staying in one hotel.
What about Portland, ME? The ME DOT has a bunch of bike routes listed on this site (and I picked up a print version a few years ago at one of the service plazas): Explore Maine by Bike
Old 06-15-17, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts

Don't dismiss the Burlington area so quickly. I haven't been there in 16 years but it had a lot of places to ride within short distances. The Causeway isn't paved but it's relatively smooth and could be easily done on a road bike. It also happens to be one of the coolest rides you can possibly do. Were else can you ride in the middle of a very large lake? Yes, it's only 10 miles from downtown Burlington out to South Hero Island but you could make a 50 miler out of the ride quite easily by riding around on Grand Isle, North Hero, etc.

I would also suggest taking the ferry from Burlington to Port Kent and riding along the western shore of Lake Champlain. The Ausable Chasm is sort of cool in a cute eastern US way...we have real chasms out here...and the rest of the area is very nice.

You could also ride from Shelburne (just south of Burlington) to Fort Ticonderoga which is a 50 mile round trip.

Another pretty ride is from Lebanon to Concord NH. It's a longer round trip...about 100 miles...but it is a nice railtrail.

Still another is from St. Albans to the Canada border which is another railtrail.

You might want to put wider tires on your road bike but none of these routes are super rough and would be relatively easy to do on road bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.