Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mirror vs. Glance over your shoulder

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 05:51 AM
Radix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two friends recently got hit by a truck from behind. I've been a bit more hypervigilent & find myself looking over my shoulder more often. When I first got into cycling, I used a helmet mirror but found it disorienting. I spent more time looking into the mirror making sure I got a good look at the road (being anxious that I may not perceive things accurately, adjusting it, etc.). Ultimately I didn't trust the mirror as much as a quick glance over my shoulder. I'm thinking about trying the mirror again but some have suggested otherwise. I'm curious about your opinions on this.
Old 07-11-10, 05:56 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Some consider a mirror a sign of weakness. I wear omnivision contacts, and my left eye is near vision, which means if I look back I don't really see anything. A mirror fixes that. My neck is also stiff.

So for me, it's the mirror.
Old 07-11-10, 06:09 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I have used a mirror in the past. For 2010, I've been going without a mirror.

A mirror is better because you are able to maintain part of your vision to the front. Looking back, you have no ability to pick up on sudden movements or obstacles to your front (and vice versa).

I never have used a helmet-mounted mirror, though. I can understand how that would be disorienting. I used a brifter-mounted mirror and it worked very well.
Old 07-11-10, 06:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Radix
Two friends recently got hit by a truck from behind. I've been a bit more hypervigilent & find myself looking over my shoulder more often. When I first got into cycling, I used a helmet mirror but found it disorienting. I spent more time looking into the mirror making sure I got a good look at the road (being anxious that I may not perceive things accurately, adjusting it, etc.). Ultimately I didn't trust the mirror as much as a quick glance over my shoulder. I'm thinking about trying the mirror again but some have suggested otherwise. I'm curious about your opinions on this.
I'm thinking that this is your answer. I mean, whatever works, but it seems as if you tried the mirror and it didn't work. For me, and I'm always looking over my shoulder in the city, if I wouldn't even think to consider a mirror unless I had trouble holding a straight line while glancing back. I think that I may be like you, too - I've never trusted mirrors while driving, because I know that there will always be blind spots. So, even if I had a mirror, I'd be glancing back to double-check my triple-check, anyway.
Old 07-11-10, 06:15 AM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glasses mounted mirror here. I can't seem to ride in a straight line and look over my shoulder at the same time. When I do look back it's typically an under the armpit glance.
Old 07-11-10, 06:19 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get a bar end mirror like this.

https://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/s...r-p001-reviews

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...665NS4DAD0XPY4

It fits the lines of the bike such that it looks like it belongs on the cycle.
Old 07-11-10, 06:50 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 859 Posts
I could not get the hang of the helmet or eyeglass mirrors, either. But, a bar mounted mirror works well. You don't have to take your attention off the road to use it, and you'll quickly learn to trust it, because there is no blind spot.

I use THIS ONE. It's great; no vibration, no blind spot. Better Fred than dead for me. But, if you want to be discreet, try a bar-end mirror, like THIS ONE. I haven't used one, but I've seen lots of them on road bikes, and they look much less Fred than mine.
Old 07-11-10, 07:18 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bar-end mirror but I also glance over my shoulder a lot. It depends on the situation, but I find both approaches useful on a typical ride. Basically, a mirror lets you know that a car is approaching. Actually looking at the approaching car tells you how fast it's going and where it is on the road.
Old 07-11-10, 08:00 AM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_F
Glasses mounted mirror here. I can't seem to ride in a straight line and look over my shoulder at the same time. When I do look back it's typically an under the armpit glance.
Do you have a link to the one you use? I'm leaning towards this or the bar end, but haven't heard any reviews for the glasses mounted mirror.

I start and end each ride with 2 miles with no shoulder on a road occupied with teenage and monster truck drivers and I don't completely trust the concept of 'hold your line and you'll be fine.' Although to be fair, the guys with big trucks generally give me more room than anybody.
Old 07-11-10, 08:13 AM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef151
Do you have a link to the one you use? I'm leaning towards this or the bar end, but haven't heard any reviews for the glasses mounted mirror.
Here's the one I currently use:
https://www.rei.com/product/752285?pr...:referralID=NA

There's a more commonly available plastic mirror and that works fine too but I find the plastic tabs break after a season or two.
Old 07-11-10, 08:19 AM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, my mistake, I thought by glasses mounted you meant the small 'spy' type mirror that sticks on the inside of your glasses. Anybody have any experience with that type of mirror?

Something like this https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?...&products_id=3
Old 07-11-10, 08:22 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found the glasses-mounted mirror always got out of position and was a pain to re-affix for every ride, but I love my helmet-mounted third eye.

and yes, I still glance over my shoulder at times
Old 07-11-10, 08:25 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will not ride without a mirror because it is easier to look in the mirror than it is to turn look over my shoulder, I will do it more often. It only needs to keep me from an accident once to justify havin it.

As far as types of mirrors, a helmet or eye glasses mirror has an advantage over the a handlerbar mounted mirror. A handlebar mirror will provide a fixed view backwards. It may not show you want you want to see. With a helmet or glasses mounted mirror, you can move your head slightly to the right or left and get a wider view.

I ride with this mirror and it works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-C.../dp/B001VTQNVO
Old 07-11-10, 08:29 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I would get a bar end mirror like this.

https://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/s...r-p001-reviews

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...665NS4DAD0XPY4

It fits the lines of the bike such that it looks like it belongs on the cycle.

I like this as well.
Convex, everything appears much further away but it is easy to adjust and I find it more convenient over glass and helmet mounted tangles and bumping. I like to think it is 0.001% more aerodynamic and most importantly 0.002% less geeky.

I use mirrors as age related reduction in range of motion makes looking back less effective.
Old 07-11-10, 08:29 AM
KidTruth

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 2005 generic Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a mirror when I know I'll be riding in heavy traffic. When I have to do something tricky like shift across three lanes of traffic from the right shoulder in order to turn left, I don't like having to constantly turn around and look behind myself. I've gotten pretty good at not drifting while I turn and check, but it's great in traffic. I also like the mirror for when I'm going to be descending steep or tricky hills (by my standards) because sometimes I like to take the whole lane, etc, and it's nice to always know if that's a safe thing to do.

But, to be honest, I probably only use my mirror about 20% of the time I'm riding. If the traffic isn't really heavy then it's mainly a burden.
Old 07-11-10, 08:40 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've been going without a helmet mirror the past year mainly because I'm having trouble mounting my favorite one onto my favorite helmet. I've also been doing pretty well as far as awareness goes (don't trust my ears and STILL get a look if I want to deviate from straight-n-narrow).

What I don't like about turning my head is that, because of my glasses, I have to turn my head farther than a non-glasses-wearer to see anything better than a blur. I have to stick my chin into my armpit so I can look though the glasses lens instead of around the frame.

My rain helmet has a mirror, though, and I use it every time I wear it.
Old 07-11-10, 08:47 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shoulder/pit glance.... plus I heavily rely on my ears
Old 07-11-10, 08:51 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want a mirror or any other glass item near my face that could shatter in a crash on my bike. With a little more flexibility, just turn your head, but be sure not to turn your handlebars at the same time!!
Old 07-11-10, 08:53 AM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Third Eye eyeglass mounted mirror about half of the time. It's great for riding with my wife and making sure that I haven't dropped her. I like it also on descents when I can't hear the cars as well and I want to know when I can take the whole lane.
Old 07-11-10, 09:00 AM
nancyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midgetmaestro
shoulder/pit glance.... plus I heavily rely on my ears
Pretty much how I wound up doing it. The pit glance did not throw my balance off as much.

The issue with ears as that some large vehicles are very very quiet but I got pretty good at knowing what was coming based on the sound.

I tried about every mirror out there and hated them all.

Hmm wouldn't a seat mounted back up camera be real nice?
Old 07-11-10, 09:00 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't really understand the need for a mirror. You said your friends were hit from behind by a truck. What good would a mirror have been?

If there is a car or truck coming it's not like it will be over the white lane or into the bike lane for the previous mile before hitting you.

I ride as far right as practical - all the time. As I understand it bicycle accidents occurring because a motorist hit the cyclist from behind are the most rare. On tight country roads I can hear the cars and trucks coming and I do conciously try to make as much room as possible. I don't find myself looking back often at all.
Old 07-11-10, 09:08 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_F
This pretty much sums up why some people prefer mirrors.

Everyone should do what makes sense to them; I'll just keeping looking over my shoulder.
Old 07-11-10, 09:29 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
I don't really understand the need for a mirror. You said your friends were hit from behind by a truck. What good would a mirror have been?

If there is a car or truck coming it's not like it will be over the white lane or into the bike lane for the previous mile before hitting you.

I ride as far right as practical - all the time. As I understand it bicycle accidents occurring because a motorist hit the cyclist from behind are the most rare. On tight country roads I can hear the cars and trucks coming and I do conciously try to make as much room as possible. I don't find myself looking back often at all.
I've ridden clear off the road before because I could see that a car coming up behind me was not leaving much room. Maybe they could have squeezed by, maybe not. But, you can't understand me wanting to know that a car is approaching me from behind, and if they appear ready to leave me room to stay alive or not? You can't see that just maybe, his friends could have seen the truck, not just heard it, and gotten out of the way in time?

Listening and then looking over your shoulder often leads to drifting out at exactly the wrong moment, at least for some, myself included. Looking in the mirror, you can usually tell that most cars are slowing down and/or going around, so there is no need to react. But, if not, it puts you on guard, you get over, and prepare to bail, or give a "hand signal" if necessary.

I won't say you're wrong for not using a mirror if you don't want to use one. But, it's hard to imagine you can't see any possible benefit to someone else.
Old 07-11-10, 09:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12789 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
I've been practicing looking over my right shoulder of late, in case I ever get around to trying out some road races, or wind up cycling in the UK, Australia or Japan.
Old 07-11-10, 09:47 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Accordion

I wiil give you an example of how a mirror can be useful. A guy in my bike club was riding with a mirror. He heard a truck coming up from behind him and looked quickly in his mirror and saw that it was a motor home and it hadn't put up its retracting step (stairs). This step stuck out from the side of the vehicle and even with him riding in close to the curb, it would have tagged him. He needed to pull as far to the right as he could and it just missed him. I know for myself, without a mirror, I wouldn't have seen it coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.