Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 09:10 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the things I have had the most difficulty with is finding the right mirror for my bike. I have been using a mirror lately that attaches onto your grip with a Velcro strap. The mirror itself can be adjusted to any angle or position. But the problem with it and most mirrors in general is that they are convex. Its great if you want a wide field of view, but its terrible for viewing anything that's coming from behind because by the time you see a car, for example, its right on top of you. What you see is a tiny image which appears to be a long way back and then a second or two later its practically right on top of you. I have searched and searched, but I just can't find a similar type of mirror that isn't convex. I have tried helmet mirrors and I don't like them at all, or for that matter the type that sticks on your glasses. Is there any mirror out there that doesn't have a convex lens?

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-08-13, 09:44 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which glass mounted mirrors did you try? I had success with this one but not with few others

https://amzn.com/B000BDJP66

The trick is to set them such that a slight turn left of your head will give you a good view.
Old 08-08-13, 09:52 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Which glass mounted mirrors did you try? I had success with this one but not with few others https://amzn.com/B000BDJP66 The trick is to set them such that a slight turn left of your head will give you a good view.
Tried that one and it never would stay adjusted. I have tried most of the mirrors out there. None is Perfect.

I use this one. It is not convex. I use different helmets. This works good for me.

https://www.messengermirror.com/

Old 08-08-13, 09:55 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use Cateye bar end mirrors. They're not flat but they're also not as convex as most seem to be.
Old 08-08-13, 09:57 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
One of the things I have had the most difficulty with is finding the right mirror for my bike. ... Is there any mirror out there that doesn't have a convex lens? ...
I have Mirrycle Mountain mirrors on all my bikes. The mirror is convex. But I find that its large, stable lens works better for me than any others that I have tried.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 08-08-13, 10:43 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
I use Cateye bar end mirrors. They're not flat but they're also not as convex as most seem to be.
I remembered I had the exact mirror after viewing your link. I had tried it on my MB a few years back but I found it couldn't extend far enough out without having most of my arm viewed in the mirror. I dragged it out of storage just a few minutes ago and compared it to the one I am presently using. It is convex, but nowhere near as bad as the mirror I'm using. This will work much better, so I'm going to head out today and have a look around and see if I can find a similar mirror to the Cateye that can extend farther out. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention. I forgot that I had one. I must have chucked out the helmet mirror and also the one that I bought for my glasses because I couldn't find either.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-08-13, 10:51 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... I remembered I had the exact mirror after viewing your link. I had tried it on my MB a few years back but I found it couldn't extend far enough out without having most of my arm viewed in the mirror...
Yeah I've run into that depending on the bike and handlebar configuration but they work great on my BF with this setup.
Old 08-08-13, 11:50 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I've run into that depending on the bike and handlebar configuration but they work great on my BF with this setup.

I like you set up. The Bike Friday is a great looking machine. I like the idea of putting those bar extenders on, but I don't know if they will work on mine as the bars are more the traditional style and not straight like yours. I see where you have mounted the Contour cam. Perfect location. One of these days I might get one of those myself, but my wallet has to gain quite a bit more weight first. I'm heading out soon to check on those mirrors and I'll also check out if I can put those bar extenders on as well.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-08-13, 04:44 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Blackburn helmet mirror. I have tried a few down the years and this one is a keeper. It takes a bit getting used to but once you have, it is second nature to scan the road behind you.
Old 08-08-13, 05:14 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have the Mirrycle Mountain mirrors on my Friday and Brompton; it works great on both.
Old 08-08-13, 08:26 PM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked up two Schwinn Deluxe Mirrors today. It fits over the grip with a Velcro strap like my other model, but with this one the mirror itself is flat and not convex. Now I will be able to see oncoming traffic properly. Check it out here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Delu...item4d0fc46443

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-09-13, 10:00 AM
DoubleDiamonDog

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big fan of the Bike Peddler Take-A-Look Eyeglass mirror. It gives a clear wide view, doesn't vibrate and works well whether I am riding in the drops or on top of the bars. It is very easy to quickly check behind me and it disappears when I don't need it - I don't even notice it is there. It is compact, lightweight and I can use it with any of my bikes. I have tried other types of mirrors over the years (handlebar mounted, helmet mounted) but prefer this one by far.
Old 08-10-13, 05:47 PM
fwd-bwd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have no idea if these are safe nor where to buy them. Interesting solutions though:

Glove mirror and wristband mirror
https://www.cgo.com.tw/~web_test/?ap=...712&mode=watch
https://www.cgo.com.tw/~web_test/?ap=...711&mode=watch
Old 08-11-13, 08:37 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fwd-bwd
I have no idea if these are safe nor where to buy them. Interesting solutions though:

Glove mirror and wristband mirror
https://www.cgo.com.tw/~web_test/?ap=...712&mode=watch
https://www.cgo.com.tw/~web_test/?ap=...711&mode=watch
Unfortunately I couldn't get the links to open properly. A few spots at the top of the page with what looks like Chinese characters. Clicking on one didn't open anything. Thanks for trying though.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-11-13, 08:40 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep coming back to look at your Bike Friday. Sweet looking bike. I just wish they didn't cost an arm and two legs -- well for me right now they do.
Old 08-11-13, 10:57 AM
fwd-bwd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wayne: I think the site was temporarily down. It's back up now.
Old 08-15-13, 07:30 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Tried that one and it never would stay adjusted. I have tried most of the mirrors out there. None is Perfect.

I use this one. It is not convex. I use different helmets. This works good for me.

https://www.messengermirror.com/
Thanks 10 Wheels. Here's photo, for those interested, to copy the design (or see my signature below).

Old 08-23-13, 07:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
One of the things I have had the most difficulty with is finding the right mirror for my bike. I have been using a mirror lately that attaches onto your grip with a Velcro strap. The mirror itself can be adjusted to any angle or position. But the problem with it and most mirrors in general is that they are convex. Its great if you want a wide field of view, but its terrible for viewing anything that's coming from behind because by the time you see a car, for example, its right on top of you. What you see is a tiny image which appears to be a long way back and then a second or two later its practically right on top of you. I have searched and searched, but I just can't find a similar type of mirror that isn't convex. I have tried helmet mirrors and I don't like them at all, or for that matter the type that sticks on your glasses. Is there any mirror out there that doesn't have a convex lens?
Ever think that there might be a very good reason why every mirror you can find is convex? Seriously. If a 2" wide mirror is to give you a useful field of view it has got to be convex. Don't come crying to us if you manage to find one that isn't convex and doesn't show you the F150 off your six. And, I might as well tell you, while I've still got the judgmental tone thing going on... there is good reason for a folding bike enthusiast to learn to like helmet mirrors. Try again. It will build character. And it will be one less thing to worry about attached to handlebars that have to do contortions that are never expected of components on standard bicycles. FWIW.

H
Old 08-23-13, 09:30 PM
DoubleDiamonDog

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the judgmental tone Leisesturm - passion is good.

But I must say my flat 1 square inch mirror attached to my sunglasses works incredibly well.
Old 08-26-13, 01:48 AM
doorman 15

Bikes: Dahon Mu uno, Dahon P18 Visc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Zefal Cyclop mirror on my Dahon P18 Visc it folds down nicely and does not get in the way when the bike is folded up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pic2.jpg (92.8 KB, 30 views)
pic1.jpg (98.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-26-13, 07:23 AM
darukhan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by doorman 15
I use a Zefal Cyclop mirror on my Dahon P18 Visc it folds down nicely and does not get in the way when the bike is folded up.

I was going to ask you why you have it mounted on the right side, but then I noticed you're in the UK!
Old 08-26-13, 08:09 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's looks like a nice mirror and still enable you to use a bar end. I have been shopping for bar ends and a mirror that would fit on the end of it. When attaching the mirror to the end of the handlebar grip, can the mirror frame (not the mirror itself) be turned so that its pointing down? If so, that might just be the one I would like to use. Also, I'm sure its a convex mirror, but I'm hoping the curve is not too pronounced. I have a mirror that I'm not using anymore because the convex curve was so drastic that you didn't see a car, as an example, in the mirror until it was right on top of you.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-26-13, 09:30 AM
doorman 15

Bikes: Dahon Mu uno, Dahon P18 Visc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's looks like a nice mirror and still enable you to use a bar end. I have been shopping for bar ends and a mirror that would fit on the end of it. When attaching the mirror to the end of the handlebar grip, can the mirror frame (not the mirror itself) be turned so that its pointing down? If so, that might just be the one I would like to use. Also, I'm sure its a convex mirror, but I'm hoping the curve is not too pronounced. I have a mirror that I'm not using anymore because the convex curve was so drastic that you didn't see a car, as an example, in the mirror until it was right on top of you.

Cheers
Wayne
Hi Wayne

I don't find the mirror to convex. I should point out that I have poor vision on my right hand side and this is the best mirror I've found to help me in traffic.

This mirror can be used on the left & right hand side I hope this picture helps.

Attached Images
cyclop.jpg (21.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-26-13, 01:38 PM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Wayne

I don't find the mirror to convex. I should point out that I have poor vision on my right hand side and this is the best mirror I've found to help me in traffic.

This mirror can be used on the left & right hand side I hope this picture helps.

It looks great. The problem I am having is finding a decent mirror and handlebar extension at any of the local cycle shops. I have to make a decision and order online. Will check this one out.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 09-10-13, 03:43 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to share this info on a mirror said to be suited for Brompton: https://www.foldingbikeguide.co.uk/br...ar-view-mirror