Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 08:11 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'd like to use a TA spindle with the original Raleigh cups and install my old TA Pro Vis crankset with a 48 tooth sprocket, but that's probably part of the hot-rodding phase, along with replacing the rims with aluminum.
I used a 122mm Stronglight spindle on my daughter's Sports:

I don't think I want to re-tap the BB shell but I would be willing to cut down the BB shell ends to 68 mm, if it's necessary to make the BB bearings line up correctly.
There are threadless cartridges that may work without the bother of re-tapping or narrowing the shell. And Phil Wood has 1-3/8" x 26tpi mounting rings for their cartridges, and which also fit some non-Phil cartridges. I've used them with SunTour and Edco cartridges; if the cartridge doesn't have a permanently attached drive-side cup, there's a chance it will work with the Phil mounting rings.
Old 03-15-19, 08:15 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Interesting. I wonder if yours might have an aftermarket cylinder.

It appears the stock cylinder is held in place by a bolt on the back of the cylinder. You may be able to access it by removing the thimble on the opposite side of the crown:
Of the couple of dozen fork locks I've had pass through my hands, maybe 30% had codes marked. The one I took apart didn't have the code either so OP, maybe letting sleeping dogs lie is best. The locks are ineffectual anyway, the lightest of cable locks would serve you better.

Last edited by clubman; 03-15-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 09:00 AM
Fat Tire Trader 

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by carfreefamily
If only it were that easy. The face of my lock cylinder is completely blank, not even the suggestion of a number. I'm assuming that maybe older bikes, mine is a '52, might not have had the number stamped on the face like that, but then, I feel like I've seen some photos where they are. I am going off the assumption that I will find the number stamped on the cylinder somewhere hidden, if I am ever able to remove it.
Have you tried bringing it to a good locksmith? I have had my local lock smith cut me all sorts of keys for bikes and other locks. The key code helps, but is not necessary.
Old 03-15-19, 05:24 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts

It’s about time to pull this one out of the bike shed for spring picnic romps!
Old 03-15-19, 07:56 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
A fine scorcher you got there
Old 03-17-19, 07:31 PM
tigervw78

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 69 Sports I plan on using as may daily commuter/beater. It was one of my coop finds a few months ago. The rear fender is bent inward in the back and the fender reflector is busted. it has the original dunlop double stripe tires. The chain guard is not original and the block pedals are a little wonky. I was going to leave it covered in the original coat of dirt to make it less desirable to thieves.

Went to the coop today and came across a ladies maybe 19" frame Austrian built Sears 3 speed. I haven't checked the year on hub yet. It's in pretty good shape I believe. It has some good Schwalbe Delta Cruiser white walls, good white block pedals, good fenders, looks like a newish chain, etc. I really want to put the tires, pedals, rear fender and chain guard on my beater Sports. Am I wrong for this?

Also, the Sears fender only has one set of chrome stays and the Sports has two sets of black. Can I attach the Sears fender to the Sports stays?
Old 03-17-19, 08:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by tigervw78
I have a 69 Sports I plan on using as may daily commuter/beater...the Sears fender only has one set of chrome stays and the Sports has two sets of black. Can I attach the Sears fender to the Sports stays?
Buying the other bike for parts is never a bad idea but personally I'd keep the original rear fender with the double stays. Easy to straighten out. Pretty sure I've got a chain guard you could have cheap plus shipping. Maybe a reflector. PM if you'd like.
Old 03-17-19, 09:55 PM
tigervw78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Buying the other bike for parts is never a bad idea but personally I'd keep the original rear fender with the double stays. Easy to straighten out. Pretty sure I've got a chain guard you could have cheap plus shipping. Maybe a reflector. PM if you'd like.
Thanks @clubman. I'm in Memphis, so I assume shipping from Nova Scotia might cost more than the bike. I'll PM you just to see....
Old 03-17-19, 11:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
So good to see you guys holding down the fort here.. .still.

Hope everyone has been staying well and in good health.
Old 03-18-19, 05:35 AM
BigChief 

Good to see you too. For years, I thought I was all alone with my old English roadster hobby. Then I started poking around the internet and found this thread. I've learned so much here and met very nice people. Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Great thread.
Old 03-18-19, 08:03 AM
3speedslow

This truly is a nice thread to settle down in for awhile and catch up on all the bikes and bits.
Old 03-18-19, 08:06 AM
3speedslow

Thanks @clubman. I'm in Memphis, so I assume shipping from Nova Scotia might cost more than the bike. I'll PM you just to see....
Hey Tiger,

You forgot the all important colour description for your Sport. Give us a shopping list!
Old 03-18-19, 09:28 AM
tigervw78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow

Hey Tiger,

You forgot the all important colour description for your Sport. Give us a shopping list!
Hey, that is important! It's black.

Rear fender is bent and reflector is busted. - Clubman had a good idea about straightening it out. It's going to be my beater so it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm going to borrow a ballpeen hammer this weekend...

Chain guard is not original which wouldn't be a big deal, but it's too large. I picked up the Sears bike for $50. It's chain guard is slimmer : ), so I may just use that.

The Sears bike has everything I need I think, I'm just having second thoughts about using parts from it....

I will try to post pics of the Sears this evening.
Old 03-18-19, 12:26 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
So good to see you guys holding down the fort here.. .still. Hope everyone has been staying well and in good health.
Good to see you again, Keith!

Just got back from the Dandy Daffodil Tweed Ride in La Conner, Washington. Like a lot of tweed rides, the emphasis is more on clothes than bikes. But there were some lovely three speeds. Here's some pics:

Old 03-18-19, 01:23 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by BigChief
A fine scorcher you got there
it seems I put my scorcher up in a little dirty of a condition( head hung in shame). But I have done amends! Put it up on the stand for a partial tear down and deep clean. I even found some more of the basement soot that was on it when I got it. Building it up today for I hope will be a weekday romp.
Old 03-18-19, 01:29 PM
3speedslow

Rear fender is bent and reflector is busted. - Clubman had a good idea about straightening it out. It's going to be my beater so it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm going to borrow a ballpeen hammer this weekend...

Chain guard is not original which wouldn't be a big deal, but it's too large. I picked up the Sears bike for $50. It's chain guard is slimmer : ), so I may just use that.

The Sears bike has everything I need I think, I'm just having second thoughts about using parts from it....

Those rear hubs are interesting. Be sure and get a pic of that.

There are gentle ways of forcing a fender back into shape. I use a soft anvil and a small hard rubber tipped hammer. The anvil is a sock filled with sand.

i have couple of coloured steel coverings but the black ones go to my keeper, Sorry!
Old 03-18-19, 03:45 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

The proper chain guard should look like this. If you can't find one in your color, it is an easy repaint.
Old 03-18-19, 04:18 PM
3speedslow

He’s looking for a Sport chaingaurd. Isn’t that one a Sears guard?
Old 03-18-19, 06:06 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Damn... 9 years and almost 20,000 posts.

Looks like my images vanished... wonder if that was because of some upgrades here ?
Old 03-18-19, 07:05 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Good to see you Keith. I'm shooting for the 20K post.

There were some casualties in the photo hosting business, Photobucket being the big one. Otherwise things usually work.
Hope all is well, your back's OK? all that.

Be good!
Old 03-18-19, 08:20 PM
tigervw78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sears

This the rear fender on the 69 Sports I need to straighten.

Sears hub is stamped '67.

Looks like a new chain.

Old 03-18-19, 08:23 PM
tigervw78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't get a good picture of the rear fender on the Sears but it's in great shape as well. I haven't even cleaned it up. This is straight from the coop. This thing looks too good to use for parts, but it's too small for my daughter. What would you do?
Old 03-18-19, 09:15 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 229 Posts
I didn't get a good picture of the rear fender on the Sears but it's in great shape as well. I haven't even cleaned it up. This is straight from the coop. This thing looks too good to use for parts, but it's too small for my daughter. What would you do?
It is now your responsibility to clean,care and nurture it, all the while searching for a good home where it will be cherished. Sort of like a lost puppy!
Old 03-18-19, 09:24 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
It is now your responsibility to clean,care and nurture it, all the while searching for a good home where it will be cherished. Sort of like a lost puppy!
^^ Whut E Said. ^^
Old 03-19-19, 08:19 AM
BigChief 

Sears

This the rear fender on the 69 Sports I need to straighten.
I think a repair on this mudguard would turn out well. Any left over creases are down by the reflector and wouldn't be so noticeable. Getting those reflectors off can be difficult. The bolts tend to be rusted solid. Since it's broken anyway, it wouldn't be a loss to grind the nut off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.