Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to open Peugeot Carbolite 103 freewheel and BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to open Peugeot Carbolite 103 freewheel and BB

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 09:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
The Park wrench that worked OK for me on my Stronglight's BB lockring was the model number HCW-5. The other end of the wrench has a different style with three claws on it for I don't know what type of lockring.
The 3-pin end of the HCW-5 works with the more typical lockings that have 6 notches.
Old 04-08-10, 09:16 AM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Channel locks are a brand of adjustable pliers. Google them, you will find thousands of links. Can find at pretty much any hardware store, along with Walmart and others.

BTW: The only thing on your bike that is unique Peugeot is the frame. Peugeot, like pretty much every bicycle maker out there built their bikes using parts built by a handful of suppliers, that supplied everyone in the industry. Many brands didn't even make their frames, they were just marketing companies. I have a Schwinn for example that does not have a single Schwinn part on it, the entire bike was made by Panasonic, and even in the case of Panasonic, they only made the frame.

Carbolite 103 is not the model of your bike, its Peugeot's tradename for the high tension steel they used to make the frame. Peugeot made several bikes, over many years, with Carbolite 103 frames. The Carbolite 103 was used on their lower end models.
Ok, I understand now what is channel locks. When I tried the park tools at the LBS, one of the workers tried to use channel locks, and I was reluctant so he will not ruin the lock ring. I now understand that this is also an option. I also think that at this LBS they have this tool with one tooth, but I tried the other side of it with the 3 teeth. hehe
Old 04-08-10, 09:19 AM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Agree that it's probably newer than a UO-8. The UO-8's I've seen had lugs, half-chromed forks and cottered cranks. Maybe the UO-8 continued beyond what I'm thinking. Carbolite is just the type of tubing though.
What can I show you from the bike that will identify the model?

Kfir
Old 04-08-10, 02:14 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kipibenkipod
What can I show you from the bike that will identify the model?

Kfir
In the mid to late 80's they started putting model names on the bikes (at least in the US) but before that you had to figure it out based on the type of tubing, lugs (if any), components, and paint scheme. There is a serial number on the bottom bracket shell that may help too.

Your best bet would be to try the classic and vintage forum. There are guys there who could figure it out for you. My guess is that it's somewhere between an 82 and 84. The model could be a P4 or P6. Those are just guesses. There are sites that help you figure out the year based on the date codes on the components.
Old 04-08-10, 03:36 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
But that it is going to be a fixed gear will turn it into a drewed situation