Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

i think my gf left because of my simple life

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

i think my gf left because of my simple life

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 01:08 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Anti-house artists!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-17-06, 01:10 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fight the house! Nobody with a house can be called a true artist!

Old 02-17-06, 05:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
Where are the examples? Not trying to insult you, and I'm not sure what you're talking about as regards me or my generalizations. I'm seriously curious about these artists who are anti-house and people who accuse all home owners of being wasteful gluttons.

If they exist as you purport they do, please show me some examples so I can laugh about them, presumably alongside you - or apparently not.
Not only that, but the general emphasis on necessary retirement and "what are you going to do for money when you're older if you don't have a house?" sort of cracks me up - not to mention these people who seem to presume that the only reason to simplify is that of the function of being intrinsically poor, rather than feeling ethically good about oneself regardless of income. It's very telling that they can't even fathom someone with means who would ever think to live a life unfettered by waste and gluttony.

… I feel so sorry for these people who have to slave at a job they hate for 40 years so that they can look forward to ending it when they're old and grizzled with some nuts stored away for the inevitable move to Florida.

Can you imagine if Leonardo da Vinci just up and quit painting, architecture, writing, studying anatomy and science JUST because he saved up enough to live off of for the rest of his life? A lot of people in here can.
Who/Whom/What are you refering to when you discuss "the general emphasis on necessary retirement", "these people", and "they" in the context of this message filled with generalizations?

Who is the "someone with means " and how are they "unfettered by waste and gluttony"?

Who are "these people" you feel so sorry for? Are they "these people" that are not "simple life" artists pretentiously imagining that they are living the life (or share ANY characteristics) with Leonardo da Vinci?
Old 02-17-06, 07:12 PM
madnomad
nomad

Bikes: mtn bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Removed the quote as it is just plain ignorant and BLATANTLY against the rules.

-alright, I see no need to reply to the quote in light of this.

Last edited by madnomad; 02-18-06 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-18-06, 12:57 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Watch the language folks. This is an all ages board. I don't care what you personally think about swearing etc...the rules are quite plain, either follow them or feel free to leave.

Maelstrom
Admin
Old 02-18-06, 01:48 AM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fight the house! Nobody with a house can be called a true artist!

An artist designed houses...Wright or some such name.
Jerk, I hate cubes.
Old 02-18-06, 01:52 AM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DigitalQuirk
Typically, in an open, public forum such as this, whenever someone grows tired of discussing a certain topic, they simply cease in discussing said topic; making it unnecessary (and frankly, rather tacky) to announce the fact that they tire of said discussion. As is the case with many discussions, there is no reason to settle anything, because there really isn't anything to settle; it's simply an exchange of different point of views for the purpose of entertainment and, perhaps, a little enlightenment.
Um. Thanks for the lesson, unnecessary as it may be. You see, in a way Roody and I were discussing how we are growing tired of the own/rent thing. He said something, I agreed. Neither of us told anyone to shut up -- as you seem to do in your post. We have EVERY right to say what we think. Besides, people do not in general like the rehashing of arguments pro and contra something. This is why forums have a search function.
Old 02-18-06, 07:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by iBarna
Besides, people do not in general like the rehashing of arguments pro and contra something. This is why forums have a search function.
You must be talking about a different species of "people" than those who post/rant on some of these BF threads. Think "cager culture bashing" or "bike lanes" or "helmets".
Old 02-18-06, 08:06 AM
DigitalQuirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Who/Whom/What are you refering to when you discuss "the general emphasis on necessary retirement", "these people", and "they" in the context of this message filled with generalizations?

Who is the "someone with means " and how are they "unfettered by waste and gluttony"?

Who are "these people" you feel so sorry for? Are they "these people" that are not "simple life" artists pretentiously imagining that they are living the life (or share ANY characteristics) with Leonardo da Vinci?
Very well done.