Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Substantial Article in Local Newspaper about Winter Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 11:20 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

The article is here.

There are also a lot of comments following the article, - many complaining about cyclists not paying for the roads they ride on along with a discussion about riding on sidewalks.

The Midtown Bike Center mentioned in the article is the same shop that hosts our winter group ride. I knew they had showers for people but didn't know you could hose off your bike there.

One thing that's not obvious but is implied by this article is how helpful it is to have a visible and critical mass of people commuting by bike to convince other people to try it. The infrastructure helps for sure but even with the relatively good cycling infrastructure that Minneapolis has, it's got to be one of the most hostile environments to cycle in once January rolls around. Yet you'll still find more commuters here in winter than you will find in May in many other US cities.

Articles like this help. It was the feature in today's variety section.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-20-11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-20-11, 11:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
I love this bit:

Road rage is not unheard of. The most common thing screamed at the bikers is an order for them to ride on the sidewalk. Screamers, please note: That's illegal.
Old 01-20-11, 12:09 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by caloso
I love this bit:
The quote about the sidewalk is probably what started the "riding on the sidewalk" argument in the comments. Where I typically have heard people yell: "Ride on the sidewalk!" it's most likely legal. It's only illegal in business districts. It's OK in the residential areas. Maybe "OK" isn't the right word. It's not illegal, let's put it that way.

Whether it's a good idea or not is a well debated topic. As a rule I don't ride on sidewalks in the summer but have sought refuge on sidewalks a few times in the winter, - especially last winter.
Old 01-20-11, 12:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Same rule in Sacramento, as I imagine it is in most cities.
Old 01-20-11, 12:24 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Cyclists dont pay property and sales taxes? Man, I'm doing it wrong.
Old 01-20-11, 12:32 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by pallen
Cyclists dont pay property and sales taxes? Man, I'm doing it wrong.
It's a bogus argument to be sure but a lot of funding for roads here comes from vehicle and gas taxes. Of course many bike commuters also own and operate cars too.
Old 01-20-11, 12:39 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Originally Posted by tjspiel
It's a bogus argument to be sure but a lot of funding for roads here comes from vehicle and gas taxes. Of course many bike commuters also own and operate cars too.
It was mostly a joke, but funding comes from a lot of places. Fuel and registration taxes don't come close to covering it all - particularly if you exclude state and interstate highways (where most of that money goes), which commuters rarely use.
Old 01-20-11, 12:41 PM
jeffpoulin

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
^^^

I imagine bicyclists don't cause as much wear and tear on the roads either, so it makes sense they shouldn't pay as much. Also, if any driver wants to avoid these taxes, he/she can always ride a bike or walk.
Old 01-20-11, 01:02 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I liked this bit about secure parking, showers and breakfast for commuters. So cool...

A tangible product of the growth in biking is Freewheel Midtown Bike Center, a one-of-its-kind, one-stop “bike transportation center” that offers commuters everything from showers (for both them and their bikes), to inside parking bays, to breakfast.

With a front door accessible only from the Midtown Greenway bike path (it’s halfway between 10th and Chicago Avenues S.), the center, which opened in the summer of 2008, was a joint effort of Allina Health System and the city of Minneapolis. Bikers can use its facilities by the day or month. In winter, there are about a dozen full-time commuters who park there and walk to their nearby office jobs, said Mario Macaruso, one of the managers. In the summer, that number triples.
Old 01-20-11, 01:23 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bike if you want in the winter, but don't expect sympathy if you get a cold. I believe that winter bicyclists shouldn't get PTO if they get a cold. They are putting themselves in situations to get sick, avoidable situations that aren't neccessary. If I was running a company I would be annoyed for the lack of productivity because people are biking to work and getting sick as a result.
haha really?
Where I work, everyone surrounding me has been sick and missed time from work from colds except me - the "crazy" one who bikes when its in the 20s outside. (although I'm far from hardcore and avoid rainy days) If anything cycling increases your immunity.
Old 01-20-11, 01:29 PM
caloso

Fair enough (just as soon as they revoke health coverage for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, knee replacements from morbid obesity, etc.).
Old 01-20-11, 01:30 PM
tjspiel

haha really?
Where I work, everyone surrounding me has been sick and missed time from work from colds except me - the "crazy" one who bikes when its in the 20s outside. (although I'm far from hardcore and avoid rainy days) If anything cycling increases your immunity.
I saw that comment too. I had a coworker tell me that I was increasing my risk of getting arthritis in my hands by riding in the winter. Some people just don't think. Skiing, ice fishing, or any other of a myriad of outdoor winter activities apparently pose no added risk of arthritis worth mentioning, but cycling does.
Old 01-20-11, 01:33 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by gerv
I liked this bit about secure parking, showers and breakfast for commuters. So cool...
The Midtown Bike Center is a cool place but all those amenities would be much more useful in a downtown location. There's a limited number of people that can take advantage of them where it's at now.
Old 01-20-11, 02:09 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I liked the article. It makes people aware of alternatives in transportation. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to have there minds made up regardless if the facts contradict their beliefs.

Have you ever been to the shop tjspiel?
Old 01-20-11, 02:13 PM
mihlbach

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts
I saw that comment too. I had a coworker tell me that I was increasing my risk of getting arthritis in my hands by riding in the winter. Some people just don't think. Skiing, ice fishing, or any other of a myriad of outdoor winter activities apparently pose no added risk of arthritis worth mentioning, but cycling does.
The best way to wear out a machine, such as a bike or a car, is by using it. A lot of people think people work that way, but we are biological entities...it doesn't work that way with us. A lot of people don't get this.
Old 01-20-11, 02:15 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

True - best way to destroy the body is to stop using it.
Old 01-20-11, 02:59 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by exile
I liked the article. It makes people aware of alternatives in transportation. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to have there minds made up regardless if the facts contradict their beliefs.

Have you ever been to the shop tjspiel?
I get there maybe a couple of times a month for a group ride and a waffle afterward.

If you're interested to see what it looks like here's a link There's a slideshow on that page that's a little outdated but gives you an idea, especially towards the end where they show the bike parking.

One big improvement they've made since those pictures were taken was the addition of a couple of couches and a coffee table. Don't know if that helps add to the commuting population but it's fun just to hang out there for awhile enjoying a snack and some conversation.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-20-11 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 03:10 PM
boro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha really?
Don't forget not being on a poorly-ventilated bus filled with sick people. With roads the way they were over the past few weeks, I couldn't bike out of my neighbourhood. I cringe every time I step on the bus and hear nothing but *hack coughhh blaaaack*
Old 01-20-11, 03:55 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That looks like a cool place that would make a normal commute even better. I enjoy "talking shop" at my LBS with the staff, regulars, and newbies.
Old 01-20-11, 05:05 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good one!
Old 01-20-11, 05:25 PM
caloso

Sig-line worthy.
Old 01-20-11, 06:29 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting article right in our town tjspiel! The article had mostly positive reader comments, but with a sadly disproportionate amount of idiocy. Here is one post by an anthropomorphic mistake of DNA (appropriately tagged) "mothernjugs" - -

"They certainly are a nusiance. Among other things they don't pay licensing fees and yet still want to use the streets the same as cars. And there seems to be a kind of a 'greener-than-thou' arrogance among many of them. They're pretty much like pesky little natts that you just have to swat away."

This comment would be funnier if I were certain he/she was not licensed to drive a car...
Old 01-22-11, 02:14 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't pay licensing fees? What's the percentage of bike commuters who don't have a driver's license and a car? Probably, what, 10 percent?
Old 01-22-11, 03:38 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a rule I don't ride on sidewalks in the summer but have sought refuge on sidewalks a few times in the winter, - especially last winter.
I would happily stay off the sidewalks and on the road, if the cars weren't in the way. There are several places along my commute where cars hog up every available bit of asphalt and I have no choice. But in that case, it's me yelling at them (and occassionally wanging their wingmirror as a reminder to leave me some room in the future). My town only has bike lanes on about 10% of the roads.
Old 01-22-11, 04:13 AM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just 2 weeks ago or so there was a post here about should cyclist pay road tax.( https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Tax-Insurance-... ) for those of you who missed it this was my response:

sure, id agree to the $20 a year per bicycle registration but dont make me put a sticker on it. I would also expect to see an impovement in road quality and bicycle lanes.

I would like to put emphasis on the last half of my statement. If cagers demand that we pay for use I/we demand a return on our investment. I will not pay for the same thing we already get for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.