Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dedicated bike computer\gps or smartphone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dedicated bike computer\gps or smartphone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 12:11 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80
GPS sensor is less accurate than a dedicated speed sensor, and a cell phone has a leg up on location accuracy (hint: a phone is assisted GPS, utilizing cell phone towers to better pinpoint location information regarding GPS satellites). A phone will have more customization options with what's displayed on the screen. Can't say much for the barometric altimeter, but my RFLKT+ has one, which communicates via BTLE with my phone. I can also customize several screens to my liking, program the buttons to perform specific actions, get notifications on my display from my phone, etc.
I'm not talking about GPS for speed, I use a sensor for that. The GPS output to maps after the fact are much more accurate, in my experience, from the Garmin than they ever have been from a phone. Cell tower assistance is fine I guess, until you get to an area with no service. I like to ride in areas with no service quite often.
Old 08-19-15, 12:26 PM
Stevensondrive

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4 Trek Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks headphones on a bike is dangerous??

i use Garmin 500 and MapMyRide on my iPhone
Old 08-19-15, 12:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KickinA
Does anyone feel that using a dedicated bike computer on their bike is better than using a smartphone? I'm trying to decide if I really need a bike computer or if my smartphone is good enough.
My dedicated bike computer is better, but if I didn't have it, a smart phone would be good enough.
Old 08-19-15, 12:37 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
dedicated computer, simply because I don't always ride at the same time of day and always have a fully charged phone. IME a fully charged smartphone with the screen on to display your data in real time with full brightness to read only lasts a few hours at most, whether an android or apple. Draining your phone battery on a long ride can be a hassle for the ride, or even for the rest of the day if you need to be out and about after a long morning ride
Old 08-19-15, 12:48 PM
Lost In Thought

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 (first bike)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up the Wahoo fitness pack for a spare iPhone 4 that I had just sitting in a drawer. $30 on Amazon, comes with speed, cadence sensors and an ANT+ waterproof case/bike mount. It's worked pretty well the first couple rides I've done. If you're interested in optimizing battery, you can jailbreak the phone and delete things manually that might drain it. Or on AT&T iPhones, locking then removing the SIM card (if yours is a spare, like the one I'm using) disables the cell radio scanning, which will greatly reduce battery consumption. Plus an external battery in the saddle bag with a cable routed nicely below the TT when needed allows extended battery.
Old 08-19-15, 12:54 PM
Gramin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevensondrive
Am I the only one who thinks headphones on a bike is dangerous??
Absolutely... especially in crowded areas, like Chicago, on the MUP / LSP, where there are tons of pedestrians, skaters and cyclists, and you're riding slow, and can't hear someone yelling "LEFT!" behind you, and then you cause the yelling cyclist to have to swerve because you go hands-free to change your music thus veering to the left...

And to the OP, you can always look into something like the RFLKT (and I think Cateye has one or two) computer that is simply a small display, using the GPS and other sensors of your phone to perform all the computing. The biggest drain on your phone is the screen, so by using something like the RFLKT, you no longer need your phone screen, and thus battery life is significantly longer. Some of the corresponding apps also permit users to utilize ANT+ and BT sensors, which will be a more reliable indicator of metrics like speed.
Old 08-19-15, 01:57 PM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with android phone in pocket with Strava running, display off. I have heard folks say to put it on airplane mode (or whatever turns off data without turning off GPS), but I haven't messed with that. No problems with battery life at all doing it this way, in fact comparing the battery before and after the ride it seems like it hardly changed, at least no more than it would had I just occasionally used the phone for those couple of hours.

On my handlebars is an ancient Cateye wired computer that tells me speed, distance and time. That's pretty much all I need during the ride.
Old 08-19-15, 02:16 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never Forget:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
old-cell-phone.jpg (13.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-19-15, 03:11 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 69chevy
IMO, if you dont have a Garmin already, this is a very good (and cheaper) alternative.

It allows you to use your phone to gather all of the data while the screen is off and in your pocket, yet puts a display on your bars.
My RFLKT+ would not talk to my Wahoo TICKR HRM with phone in back pocket of jersey, tried all 3 back pockets. To get Wahoo Blue SC, and TICKR both working phone still had to be on the bars, which sucks.
Old 08-19-15, 03:18 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I happened to go down at over 20mph last month, I am certain that any phone mounted to use on my bike would have been destroyed beyond usability. I had some pretty nasty road rash, and a broken hanger. I would of hoped for someone to come by, even though I was riding a good 3 miles from any popular roads.

I don't use either, and maybe I should but that's not where I like to invest my money. I just record with the phone in my back jersey pocket, I never really feel like I am missing anything with out any live updates.
Old 08-19-15, 04:51 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
I'm using a polar m400 watch for most everything y'all want, and I love it.. except that this damn watch won't integrate their cadence sensor. You need to buy the more expensive watch to do that.

I get heart rate, GPS (exceptionally accurate compared to strava on my phone) speed/location, and the polar flow app on the phone I like better than strava anyways. I can do all sorts of custom displays on the watch, even.

The only issue is cadence for me So I'm looking at maybe splurging for a garmin 500.

For me (I have a heart condition), getting real time super accurate heart rate is the #1 feature I need. So I need to make sure I can get that properly on the garmin, then I'll add cadence. I guess the garmin app must not suck since everyone is using it...
Old 08-19-15, 05:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
A phone makes the rider look like a nerd. Plus it's huge and detracts from the bikes looks. If you crash, you are looking at several hundred dollars to replace. A cycling computer or GPS is rugged and likely won't get hurt. Plus they are almost waterproof.
Old 08-20-15, 07:31 AM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
A phone makes the rider look like a nerd. Plus it's huge and detracts from the bikes looks. If you crash, you are looking at several hundred dollars to replace. A cycling computer or GPS is rugged and likely won't get hurt. Plus they are almost waterproof.
+1
Besides, come on, you can't leave your phone alone even when on your bike?!?
Old 08-20-15, 11:54 AM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Garmin Forerunner 920 for EVERYTHING. I like having all my workouts in the same place, including non-cycling activities.

I used to use my phone, but I found that the distance calculations were often considerably off...when compared to my Garmin on a known course (as much as half a mile on a 5k run, for example. Almost a full mile on longer runs of 10-20 miles) Sometimes the numbers were almost exactly the same, but way too many times there was too much error for my comfort.
Old 08-20-15, 12:48 PM
KickinA

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Trail SL 29er, 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra 4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new moto-g is cheap at $180 (cheaper than a nice Garmin bike computer) and is waterproof enough that you could swim with it (IPx7). If you get a nice rugged case, I'm sure it could handle most crashes, but it will be bigger than a small bike computer, but then again, you won't get as many functions as a phone.

BTW, nerds rule the world now, so its OK to look like a nerd on a bike :-) That fact that you post on an internet bike forum qualifies you as a bike geek and computer nerd :-)
Old 08-20-15, 01:10 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
I happened to go down at over 20mph last month, I am certain that any phone mounted to use on my bike would have been destroyed beyond usability. I had some pretty nasty road rash, and a broken hanger. I would of hoped for someone to come by, even though I was riding a good 3 miles from any popular roads.

I don't use either, and maybe I should but that's not where I like to invest my money. I just record with the phone in my back jersey pocket, I never really feel like I am missing anything with out any live updates.
Not necessarily. I went down last week at >20mph. I had my Samsung S4 in a Otterbox Defender attached to my stem with a Nite Ize. And it stayed on without any issues.

GH
Old 08-20-15, 01:21 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Edge 800.

Had been using an iPhone with Cyclemeter and bluetooth sensors, but it was only good for about a 5 hour ride. after that, battery life was non-existent.

The garmin went 9 hours with plenty of life left to keep going if I had wanted to.
Old 08-20-15, 02:06 PM
Bunyanderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Not necessarily. I went down last week at >20mph. I had my Samsung S4 in a Otterbox Defender attached to my stem with a Nite Ize. And it stayed on without any issues.

GH
Those Otterbox cases are nearly indestructible, so that makes sense. Something that just holds the phone to the bars would offer no protection, that's when you are out of luck.
Old 08-20-15, 02:25 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
Those Otterbox cases are nearly indestructible, so that makes sense. Something that just holds the phone to the bars would offer no protection, that's when you are out of luck.
I agree, but I'm hard enough on my phone anyways, that it stays in the Otterbox 98% of the time.

But the Nite Ize is also good, because the phone didn't come out of the strap.

GH
Old 08-20-15, 02:29 PM
Bunyanderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
I agree, but I'm hard enough on my phone anyways, that it stays in the Otterbox 98% of the time.

But the Nite Ize is also good, because the phone didn't come out of the strap.

GH
Then it makes perfect sense for you, and for probably most people too.

I have a hard time turning a 7mm thick device into something closer to 15mm, when I payed a ton for not a lot.
Old 08-20-15, 02:35 PM
phil_k

Bikes: N/A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cateye stealth 50.
So cheap, but has ability to track heart rate (ANT+), power(ANT+), speed (GPS or magnet/ANT+), time, cadence(ANT+), all the usual. No gradient or turn by turn nav, but it has GPS for uploading your rides to your online site of choice once you get home. Accurate, decent battery life, waterproof, small, etc.
Old 08-26-15, 02:57 PM
jamisFan

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2014 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92
Any GPS watch from Garmin or Tmiex that you guy uses? I am thinking about something that I can use for both my runs and cycles.
Not a GPS watch per se, but I use a Casio STB-1000 linked to my phone. I'm super happy with it. Keeps the screen on the phone off all the time and the battery will go from 100% to 55% (give or take) over 4 hours. But with Bluetooth connected to 4 different devices (watch, CSC, HRM, speaker), GPS running and LTE also running, as I'm listening to music the entire ride.
I'd say it's pretty decent for a phone.

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to click on reply with quote the first time.

Last edited by jamisFan; 08-26-15 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 03:10 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamisFan
Not a GPS watch per se, but I use a Casio STB-1000 linked to my phone. I'm super happy with it.

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to click on reply with quote the first time.
Pretty cool, I just read up on it. Not a bad choice per say.
Old 08-26-15, 03:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KickinA
The new moto-g is cheap at $180 (cheaper than a nice Garmin bike computer)
Garmin Edge 20 bike computer is $129.99; Edge 25 is $169.99.
Old 08-26-15, 05:43 PM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
IMO, if you dont have a Garmin already, this is a very good (and cheaper) alternative.

It allows you to use your phone to gather all of the data while the screen is off and in your pocket, yet puts a display on your bars.
Plus one to this. I love this combination. The Wahoo battery lasts from months and months and works great with my duo trap cadence sensor and Wahoo HRM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.