Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Source for online RoadBike (whole bike) Packing Instructions with pictures ?-UPS ship

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Source for online RoadBike (whole bike) Packing Instructions with pictures ?-UPS ship

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 12:56 AM
PhilThee
Downhill Racer

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB1, 2006 Cannondale R1000, 2007 Cannondale Caad9 Optimo2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need a good on line bicycle packing guide with pictures.
It's the full bike not just a frame and fork.

I had a real good link but I can't for the life of me find it.

Got a link for me?
List many if you have them.
Old 12-07-07, 07:11 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Just a reference. My LBS advised that Fedex ground is cheaper than UPS with the actual shipping.

Old 12-07-07, 07:14 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Also see JSharr reference below.

Originally Posted by jsharr
https://www.southwestframeworks.com/home%20page.htm

click on the paint shop link and scroll down for a tutorial

Old 12-07-07, 07:31 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy a box in your lbs.

Take the wheels out. (depending on the box size u need only to take off the front one out)

Buy some poliestirene blocks (foam) or get some piece/s from some tv set box at home or something.
Cut a block that fit tight in the box, drop it inside of the box, the piece needs to be big enough to insert the fork blades in there, just do two little holes and press the fork in there, that will keep the front end and the mayority of the frame firm and tight. Use common sense. A detail, do not take the fork out off the frame ok? just put it backwards and press it over the polyestirene or foam block u got.

Regarding parts ok? Take the RD, chain, pedals and depeding of the size of the stem probalby iu want to take it out also. Put all the little stuff in a small box, and drop that box under the frame if u like. Use some tape to fix it firm to the bottom of the box.

The handlebar. Use some bubbles wrap or whatever u want so it wont damage the frame. Just put it over the top tube. and use some tape to make it tighter.

Regarding the frame and the bike it self, put some cartoon paper or bubble wrap thing around the chain stays, top tube, fork or any other place u want to protect, as i said before, use common sense.

Now u have the fork stays firm with foam, do the same with the upper part of the front end of the bike, around the headset, cut a piece and stick it there, as makes sense sort of mold it with a knife, what I usuallly do is the same as the fork. I cut foam block wide enough to fit tight in the box and then I press it between the front of the box and the headset. That will keep the box tight from inside out.

Do the same with the Top tube area, cut foam with the form of the top tube and wide enough to fit in the box. Will keep the frame from moving left and right.

Put some paper into the front wheel and drop it inside, it will fit fine, the idea is do not to scratch anything, right? use tape to keep the wheel from moving.

If u thing something will come off take it off and put it in the box with the other small parts.

Close the box really well, Done!

I have shipped to Japan, europe and South America that way, not a single problem besides taken me like 2 hours to pack the bike and like 4 hours for the other guy to get the darn box open

Good luck.
Old 12-07-07, 09:53 AM
alancw3

Bikes: c'dale six13, bobjackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe these pics can give you a guide. i saved them several years ago to guide me when i pack my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
packingabike.jpg (20.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg
packingbike2.jpg (19.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-07-07, 11:25 AM
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this illustrated instruction guide on the web:

https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/boxabike.html

Ted
Old 12-07-07, 04:58 PM
5 more
just 5 more miles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this site. https://members.shaw.ca/boxyourbike/
Old 12-07-07, 05:51 PM
johnny uprizing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alancw3 pretty much has the idea. Basically it's like packing a Ritchey Break Away except in a bigger box since your frame probably doesn't split in half (and there's a little extra cable management). Here's a video: https://www.ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritc...way/20791.html
since your bike ships Dimensional weight OSII, FedEx is probably cheaper unless you have an inside track to the killer UPS discount.