Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A newbs guide to training with power?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 11:05 PM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im going to throw some random questions out there and see what you guys think. First off I am going to buy a wireless powertap (not sure on the model) was thinking the pro+ should be fine, any suggestions? I have a pair of Elites that I am going to put the hub on. I'm assuming I'll have to have a shop put the hub on?? Can/should these things be used in incliment weather?

Any suggestions for a good ALL AROUND guide book to training? Something that incorporates diet, power and is useful for months of training? Right now my "training" is sorta go out and ride a lot but next year I want to be much faster and I figure months of training during the off-season and I'll be one of the faster folks in the group rides and races. How much time per day should I expect to put in if I am taking this "seriously"? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Prairie Native; 07-14-10 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 09:11 AM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for the power meter training and racing with a power meter is recommended by most

Joe friel's cyclists trialing bible helps you put together a structured program

not sure if Joe's book goes in depth with nutrition though I read an older edition and have yet to red the new version but I don;t rember allot of indepth discussion on nutrition

racing weight is a great read IMO for nutrition though
Old 07-15-10, 01:57 PM
recon455

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a book called "Training with Power"

While not a general training book, it is a great source for power based training. In addition to that, there is a thread in the Road Racing sub forum for posting Power questions.

EDIT: I found Friels(3rd Ed.) to have a good amount of nutrition.