Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 11:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Just a small correction. The frame is not fillet brazed, it is lugged/brazed.
I'm quite certain the junction in question, namely that of the pictured seat stays to seat tube, is fillet brazed.
Old 01-21-16, 11:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by alathIN

Volagi Viaje 105.
Cool bikes, and which don't get much attention around here at all.
Old 01-21-16, 11:57 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
That is certainly a unique looking steel bike. In fact if I saw it on the street, I probably would assume it's aluminum based on the curved tubing.
To be honest, before I clicked his link, I was about to remind him that this was a thread for steel bikes. I guess it takes up the mantle left behind when Breezer discontinued the Venturi.

Old 01-21-16, 12:00 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui
I'll have one of these please
As we "speak", I am waiting on delivery for one of those, that very frame (Interceptor Super Stiff) and color combination (Gritty Grey and Jaegher Orange)! Will post pictures!
Old 01-21-16, 12:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by dr_lha
BTW it appears that the top tube of the Washoe is ovalized, hence the look (not sure why the two photos I posted are discrepant). That combined with the oversized downtube and head tube make for a somewhat unique looking steel frame bike. It comes at a price too, $2350 for the frameset, although for only $800 more you can get it as a full bike with 105, which makes the frameset look overpriced.
+$3100 for 105 seems pretty expensive for a 105 bike to me.
Old 01-21-16, 12:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Minnesota Expat
As we "speak", I am waiting on delivery for one of those, that very frame (Interceptor Super Stiff) and color combination (Gritty Grey and Jaegher Orange)! Will post pictures!
Sweet! Please do post pics, and ride impressions!
Old 01-21-16, 12:11 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by himespau
To be honest, before I clicked his link, I was about to remind him that this was a thread for steel bikes. I guess it takes up the mantle left behind when Breezer discontinued the Venturi.
Besides being different bikes in every way, Volagi predates the Venturi (as it's being discussed, in it's recently ended form; the first gen bikes in the '90s were completely different), so I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Did the Venturi not look like steel to you?
Old 01-21-16, 12:22 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm intrigued by that. I didn't see rack mounts, does it have them and I just missed them, or did you have to p-clamp it?
If that's me you're asking, no clamps, it has the usual braze-ons for racks and fenders.
Old 01-21-16, 12:46 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm not arguing against carbon forks. I do wonder however, why there aren't more steel forks available for modern steel bikes.

My steel fork is "modern" in that it is threadless but is pretty high-end lugged Tange Infinity CroMo. It's not an old or vintage fork but manufactured in 2015. I thought it would be heavy and harsh but everything I heard about the "Buttery feel" of steel frames translated to the fork as well. Riding the bike is like riding on a cloud.

Not really sure I have a point here other than expressing my own experience with a steel fork and wondering out loud why riders don't consider steel forks for steel bikes more often. I get that you can't have on your bike what what manufacturers don't offer. If I was to build a modern steel bike however, I would not hesitate to put a good quality steel fork on it.
Doug makes a sweet steel fork:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Turbos2.jpg (89.7 KB, 486 views)
Old 01-21-16, 01:17 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Besides being different bikes in every way, Volagi predates the Venturi (as it's being discussed, in it's recently ended form; the first gen bikes in the '90s were completely different), so I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Did the Venturi not look like steel to you?
Yeah, I know Volagi in carbon predated the Venturi, but did the steel Viaje also? I was thinking in terms of steel in tubing that's not traditionally shaped. So many of even the modern steel bikes featured hear and elsewhere are still straight cylinders (though maybe the chainstays and forks have curves in them) - sure there have been steel tubes that are ovalized slightly to make them more aero (some Columbus tubing from the 90's comes to mind), but different shapes in steel are still rather unusual. Much moreso than aluminum and especially carbon.

Old 01-21-16, 01:24 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sweet! Please do post pics, and ride impressions!
It is a real work of art and craftsmanship. Almost as fun, is picking out and buying the components for the build. Can anyone identify the wheelset in the pictures? They must be Campagnolo, probably the higher end. Clinchers? I currently ride the Campagnolo Zonda wheels on my EVO.
Old 01-21-16, 01:28 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 20 Posts
Built this one up last winter. Not the most modern of steel frames (mid-90's), but it does have 130mm rear spacing, threadless fork/stem, etc.
Old 01-21-16, 01:42 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Can anyone identify the wheelset in the pictures?
https://www.merlincycles.com/campagn...FYEdHwodemIB6Q
Old 01-21-16, 01:51 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not arguing against carbon forks. I do wonder however, why there aren't more steel forks available for modern steel bikes.

My steel fork is "modern" in that it is threadless but is pretty high-end lugged Tange Infinity CroMo. It's not an old or vintage fork but manufactured in 2015. I thought it would be heavy and harsh but everything I heard about the "Buttery feel" of steel frames translated to the fork as well. Riding the bike is like riding on a cloud.

Not really sure I have a point here other than expressing my own experience with a steel fork and wondering out loud why riders don't consider steel forks for steel bikes more often. I get that you can't have on your bike what what manufacturers don't offer. If I was to build a modern steel bike however, I would not hesitate to put a good quality steel fork on it.
You can still get them, 531 forks are still around and like you I've recently acquired a steel bike with Tange forks. They are at least as good, maybe better, than good carbon forks in terms of ride quality. The reason you don't see many of them on road, as opposed to touring, bikes is simply weight. The fork crown is heavy.
Old 01-21-16, 01:54 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What you're failing to see is that you keep changing the terms. First you asked, "why not fillet braze?" It is fillet brazed. Then you say the paint "obliterates any suggestion of precision, thoughtfulness, or skilled handiwork," but I'm willing to bet you've never seen a lugged steel ISM junction before, let alone with custom made lugs, two things right there-- even if you don't know fillet brazing when you see it-- that reek of "precision, thoughtfulness, and skilled handiwork," and which, arguably, cannot be made without those things.

So do you know what you're talking about? I don't think so. I think you don't like the paint job and don't get the aesthetic, and are trying to cook up some clever sounding rationale to explain it's not to your taste, because you like old style stuff.

Everything on that bike is rendered in monochrome paint -- from the seat mast topper to the headset dust cover-- and matte black components, expressly for the purpose of presenting a uniquely uniform aesthetic, which compels the viewer to look at the bike in the whole, yet you want them to highlight junction details which would directly contravene the overarching aesthetic goal.

To say you don't "get it" is a wild understatement, and you should be happy to leave it there. Immanuel Kant said there is no argument if a man says something is pleasing to him, rather than pleasing in and of itself. Beauty is not an intrinsic truth, but an agreed upon property of a thing. Suggesting that bike is wearing an "unflattering sack" is proof that you are interested only in your simple opinion, and unable to aggregate an aesthetic interpretation which doesn't correspond with a narrative of precedent forms. I suppose that's more of a post-modernist approach, but your example of a detail pic of old fashioned lug work would confirm that you're not there yet.
You're enjoying this opportunity to be pompous almost as much as you enjoy that bike, huh? Seriously, you know that when we talk about fillet brazed frames we are normally talking about those WITHOUT lugs.

I never said I disliked the bike, I just said the beauty of the monolithic paint job was not as certain as you suggested. The maker may have intended to compel the observer to consider the unity of the bike and the consistency of execution. I understand that. I just don't think it succeeds so well or that the concept or execution is particularly interesting. Maybe it's a bike builders' bike and I'm not a bike builder. That's no reason to be condescending.
Old 01-21-16, 01:55 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

+$3100 for 105 seems pretty expensive for a 105 bike to me.
Yes, it's an expensive bike, no doubt.

My comment was that the difference in cost between the frameset and the full 105 build isn't very much. In fact, even ordering cheap parts from Europe, it's hard to get just the extra parts of the full build for $800, and of course that's leaving out the cost of labor. Normally the difference in cost between a frameset and a full bike is larger.
Old 01-21-16, 02:12 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I've been checking out theVelominati website more as of late (the 41 is no longer roadie enough forme)...
Good site and good people. I spend a lot of timethere, especially during the pro race season. Overall, the site has astronger emphasis on the "culture" of road cycling versuscycling equipment (as found in Road Cycling on Bike Forums).

...they seem to have somepartnership with Jaegher out of Belgium.
I’m not speaking forVelominati.com, but I wouldn’t call it a partnership. The site offered a Jaegherframe last year as first prize in the Velominati Super Prestige, a sort of pro-cyclingrace "fantasy" league. You pick the top five places in a race andscore points. They have 30-40 races during the season, including the GrandTours. And about 300 people participate each year. Lots of fun and it’s free!

Looks nice, but stupidexpensive, and I can find almost zero info online in terms of actual ridereviews except for one super picky (hey, they aren't cheap) guy with a blog whohad quite a few small gripes. Beautiful bikes, though. Not sure if I couldjustify the expense.
The frame sets don’t seem that expensive, relativeto some of the other frames in this thread (see Baum). But you do have toinclude shipping and your build-out into the equation. I read that review and Iwonder if the guy had a good “fit”. Also, the company has fixed the issue withthe paint and finish. There are a few guys on Velominati.com that own a Jaegherand love the ride.

I won my frame for a first place finish in last year’s VelominatiSuper Prestige J
Old 01-21-16, 02:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Yeah, I know Volagi in carbon predated the Venturi, but did the steel Viaje also? I was thinking in terms of steel in tubing that's not traditionally shaped. So many of even the modern steel bikes featured hear and elsewhere are still straight cylinders (though maybe the chainstays and forks have curves in them) - sure there have been steel tubes that are ovalized slightly to make them more aero (some Columbus tubing from the 90's comes to mind), but different shapes in steel are still rather unusual. Much moreso than aluminum and especially carbon.
Ah, gotcha. Good question re: Volagi models; I don't know the answer, there, and had forgotten about how the Liscio came first.

Your point about steel shaping is taken, and a good example of an exception which proves the rule is the Mason Resolution, which has some pretty radically shaped Columbus steel tubing. The stays, but also the down tube, which is a box section:

Some really super-modern stuff going on here, not the least of which are the "multi-ports" which allow easy conversion from cable stop, to full internal, to Di2/wire routing. Disc mounts, taper head tube, OS seat tube... and dig the old school nod with the braze on fender mounts!!

Last edited by chaadster; 01-21-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 02:37 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Good site and good people. I spend a lot of timethere, especially during the pro race season. Overall, the site has astronger emphasis on the "culture" of road cycling versuscycling equipment (as found in Road Cycling on Bike Forums).
I’m not speaking forVelominati.com, but I wouldn’t call it a partnership. The site offered a Jaegherframe last year as first prize in the Velominati Super Prestige, a sort of pro-cyclingrace "fantasy" league. You pick the top five places in a race andscore points. They have 30-40 races during the season, including the GrandTours. And about 300 people participate each year. Lots of fun and it’s free!
The frame sets don’t seem that expensive, relativeto some of the other frames in this thread (see Baum). But you do have toinclude shipping and your build-out into the equation. I read that review and Iwonder if the guy had a good “fit”. Also, the company has fixed the issue withthe paint and finish. There are a few guys on Velominati.com that own a Jaegherand love the ride.
I won my frame for a first place finish in last year’s VelominatiSuper Prestige J
I checked the website out and thought it was stupid expensive, but then I also saw the price on the LeMond frameset, so I guess it's not at all that expensive for a handbuilt steel frame. Please post some info on yours when built and how you like it.

Yeah, that blog review was kind of worthless. His main gripe seemed to be that he thought steel was suddenly not steel and should weigh less. I mean, yeah they push the "airlight" thing pretty hard, but I think most of us know even light steel frames are not that much lighter than really nice vintage steel frame sets. Steel is still steel.
Old 01-21-16, 02:48 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I'm quite certain the junction in question, namely that of the pictured seat stays to seat tube, is fillet brazed.
Sorry, yes. My mistake. I thought you were talking about the frame in general. With the exception of a very few investment cast lug fittings for attaching the seat stays like on some old steel Treks that connection is fillet brazed on a lugged bike.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-21-16, 02:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Since this is an appreciation thread, I want to say how much I'm appreciating all the colorful bikes.

Flat black isn't my thing (ahem, keeping it positive) and the colors on some of these bikes are beautiful.
Old 01-21-16, 03:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Doug makes a sweet steel fork:
Doug Fattic in Michigan?

This is the fork I purchased. Crown race had to be milled from 27mm JIS to 26.4mm ISO.

3Rensho / TANGE Aero Front Fork

Old 01-21-16, 03:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Hampsten isn't the first name you turn to in modern steel, but his Maglia Rosa line has a pretty sharp looking rig in thick Columbus tubing and beautiful coat of blue:

Old 01-21-16, 03:19 PM
dr_lha

Doug Fattic in Michigan?

This is the fork I purchased. Crown race had to be milled from 27mm JIS to 26.4mm ISO.

3Rensho / TANGE Aero Front Fork
This Nashbar branded fork looks to either be the same, or is a knock off. I wonder which? At $54 it's pretty cheap.

Nashbar Steel Road Bike Fork

EDIT: On closer inspection the lugs look different, so I guess not the same.

Last edited by dr_lha; 01-21-16 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 03:24 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I checked the website out and thought it was stupid expensive, but then I also saw the price on the LeMond frameset, so I guess it's not at all that expensive for a handbuilt steel frame. Please post some info on yours when built and how you like it.

Yeah, that blog review was kind of worthless. His main gripe seemed to be that he thought steel was suddenly not steel and should weigh less. I mean, yeah they push the "airlight" thing pretty hard, but I think most of us know even light steel frames are not that much lighter than really nice vintage steel frame sets. Steel is still steel.
Some extremely high-end TIG-welded racing frames with thin-walled tubing are much lighter than what vintage bikes can offer.

But it's kind of hard to pull that off when they've made the tubes skinny for aesthetic reasons. Modern steel permits good strength with extremely thin walls, but without making the tubes wider, this results in the bike behaving like a wet noodle. Since the Phantom has chosen to use a classical-ish tube width, they're probably using thicker walls to keep things stiff, substantially compromising the weight savings that modern steel offers.
The lugs probably aren't helping with the weight either.

Last edited by HTupolev; 01-21-16 at 03:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.